The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

24 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Some users, not all, on VMP are relatively new to digging into music. It's tempting to poke fun at the mix of enthusiasm and lack of knowledge but, IMO, it's also very cool that more people are diving into the insane treasure hunt that is working backwards into the history of rock/hip hop/modern music. We all start somewhere and, after 22 years of collecting music, there are well known bands/genres I'm still naive towards. I didn't really get into Talking Heads until last year, I have zero knowledge of Jazz, etc. I tend to keep quiet about genres/bands I am barely getting to know while maybe some VMP posters can be more quick to assume the role of expert but I think that's just, as I said, the enthusiasm. Also, I consider myself a very young 31 year old man but I have to remember that still means I might have 13 years of more music listening on some other adults. Anyway, thanks for reading my novel. :) 

I don't think many are new at digging into music in general but I think it's that a lot of them have a certain genre that they're comfortable with and so may different genres get discussed/hyped over there that they may be digging into areas that they may not have before.  

9 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

So, it sounds like the consensus is Ready To Die then.  The sample thing really intrigues me.  They wouldn't be releasing this  (I would think) without some kind of 'wow factor'.   Definitely have my finger on the button to sign up for a month if it's as good as it's sounding.......

The one staff member over there did say this would rank third after Gorillaz and Fiona for the biggest bombsell they've ever released.  Of course, that's all subjective.  

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

The one staff member over there did say this would rank third after Gorillaz and Fiona for the biggest bombsell they've ever released.  Of course, that's all subjective.  

I just have a hard time believing Puff would allow VMP to be the one to release RTD with original sample clearances or something of that nature.   Feels like he would want to create more drama and buzz by releasing it on his own.  We'll see - I'm definitely intrigued.  

Just now, djghost1976 said:

I just have a hard time believing Puff would allow VMP to be the one to release RTD with original sample clearances or something of that nature.   Feels like he would want to create more drama and buzz by releasing it on his own.  We'll see - I'm definitely intrigued.  

Very true.  But you probably could have said the same exact thing about Demon Days.  Who would have thought.  

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

Very true.  But you probably could have said the same exact thing about Demon Days.  Who would have thought.  

Yeah, I can see a deal just like the Gorillaz did where it will be an ecxlusive VMP release for now with no guarantee's for the future. Honestly, from a marketing standpoint it would be a great decision as VMP has a very large audience now so it will spread like wildfire and everybody is going to know about it. Probably more then most labels could accomplish these days plus VMP also does the majority of the heavy lifting. 

I am just happy to be able to anticipate a supposedly big hip hop release since I was not a huge fan of there other 2 recent "huge releases".

I noticed Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous is also on the guess list which I do not think is going to be the AOTM but I would love to see the shock and disgust in that thread after seeing the current reaction to Ready To Die haha

That Ready to Die quote said this stuff has never been pressed to vinyl. I'm pretty sure this version has every track and all the samples.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Notorious-BIG-Ready-To-Die/release/252870

Why exactly are there so many people thinking it'll be this? Something I'm missing? Because there are many rap albums in the 90s that cut tracks out and never included them on subsequent represses

Edited by Sunshine

On 8/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, Sunshine said:

That Ready to Die quote said this stuff has never been pressed to vinyl. I'm pretty sure this version has every track and all the samples.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Notorious-BIG-Ready-To-Die/release/252870

Why exactly are there so many people thinking it'll be this? Something I'm missing? Because there are many rap albums in the 90s that cut tracks out and never included them on subsequent represses

Well one of the clues was "Limousine" that was my main rationale to agree with the various people suggesting it's RTD.  

Just now, lethalenforcer said:

If I'm planning to re-subscribe in order to buy the War On Drugs releases today, will someones's referral code work? Or is it only for entirely new user signups?

I think they're only for new subscribers but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, It looks like the stuff is in the store with a "Coming Soon".  The new album is not listed as a Member Exclusive but Slave Ambient and the bundle are.  

4 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Well, if anyone is passing on Slave Ambient and can secure me a copy I'd greatly appreciate it. Re-upping just doesn't seem worth it.

You're probably good waiting a month to pick it up when it becomes available to non-members.

2 minutes ago, wiscodeman said:

Should I assume the yellow pressing of A Deeper Understanding will be using the same stampers as the other variants (black, coke bottle blue, others idk about)? Not sure how that works or if that info will be provided.

That's probably a safe assumption without knowing exactly how it works.  Besides color, it's probably not going to be any better or worse than the other variants.  

3 hours ago, YouTwo said:

That's probably a safe assumption without knowing exactly how it works.  Besides color, it's probably not going to be any better or worse than the other variants.  

Ok cool. I'm not particularly attached to any variant at this point, so I'll probably just wait a little bit to see what people say about sound quality. Thanks!