The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

21 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

had no idea arctic monkeys were so polarizing. personally, it's hard for me to hate any band whose lead singer rocks a pompadour. pompadours make the music better. that's why AM is their best album, because they released it during peak pompadour.

I didn't own any Arctic Monkeys records before I had to go to Wal-Mart one day cuz I was out of pomade. The AM/pomade bundle was too good to pass up it was cheaper than getting either by itself.

20 hours ago, zuck said:

Apologies as I'm sure this has already been answered, but how much is the hip hop add on to a one month sub? Also, if you used a referral link in the past & then cancelled, can you get the referral discount if you sign back up? Thanks in advance.

$23 a month (https://app.vinylmeplease.com/profile/addon/rap)

And unless you sign up as a new member, the referral will only work once. Reactivating your account will not net you another $10, sorry.

2 hours ago, freverend said:

I was a member 3 years ago ... I really want the HipHop April AOTM - is there a chance to be an active member without purchasing the "regular" AOTM? Thanks

Sadly I don't think they are doing stand-alone side subs yet. But if you sign up for the ROTM, swap it out with something else you want (they have some old RH&H records in the SWAPS now if I am not mistaken...) you should be able to enlist with the side-sub then. 

1 hour ago, Andthejets27 said:

Just out of curiosity, what do people not like about the widely available pressing of the arctic monkeys record? Spinning it now, I am only two tracks in right now but I haven’t heard anything particularly off putting thus far

VMP have done this in the past. The National Boxer last year was simply a colourway of the widely available pressing.  Some people feel the old AM pressing feels 'compressed' but really if you like what you hear, then I don't suspect this pressing to blow it out of the water. 

I spent most of the 90s listening to 'Indie' music and gradually moved away from it and into loads more different stuff. Dance/hip-hop etc. basically nothing about it appealed to me much. However, the first Arctic Monkeys record was a real revelation, excellent, I often go back and unlike some records from that era it still stands up.

Lyrically, there is so much more going on than Oasis for example. The later ones I didn't pay too much attention to, but I quite liked A.M as it tried something a little different again. The do come across as massive bell-ends at times, but there you go.

Compared to Demon Days which people were jizzing in their pants about as being 'the most important record of their childhood', I think this is more deserving.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:31 PM, armadillo01 said:

Regardless of their overall quality, AM are notable for being the first band to blow up & go full-stadium off the internet, especially MySpace in their case: Discuss.

Truth.  I was a senior in college during all the Arctic Monkeys hype.  I actually wrote a paper about it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, lethalenforcer said:

Ordered along with the lee scratch perry holiday bundle i still had in my cart- I wonder why I haveny gotten a cancellation notice on it yet, or even why I was allowed to buy it at all

4 minutes ago, Darnoc said:

Ordered along with the lee scratch perry holiday bundle i still had in my cart- I wonder why I haveny gotten a cancellation notice on it yet, or even why I was allowed to buy it at all

Their cart sorta sucks. I still had Sold Out items in there yesterday that I could have checked out with - I'm sure they would have just canceled them.

51 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I'm looking at signing up for the first time, but I'm normally 50/50 or less on if I'd like the ROTM.

How big is the swaps section? Looking back at the archive I'd be keen on Gorillaz, Fatboy Slim, Black Sabbath and maybe a couple of others. Are they likely to be available over the next couple of months as swaps?

Black Sabbath should be available, that’s been there for awhile. Gorillaz, I’m not sure. That’s been in and out of the store for awhile now so probably at least available for purchase. Fat boy Slim is sold out and that was a limited run. 

I dont care for the ROTM probably half of the time but I enjoy being a member because of the exclusives and it does do a good job of turning me on to stuff I wouldn’t normally be looking for. Best to come in with an open mind. As for the amount of swaps they generally have between 60-80, though they advertise more. 

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Black Sabbath should be available, that’s been there for awhile. Gorillaz, I’m not sure. That’s been in and out of the store for awhile now so probably at least available for purchase. Fat boy Slim is sold out and that was a limited run. 

I dont care for the ROTM probably half of the time but I enjoy being a member because of the exclusives and it does do a good job of turning me on to stuff I wouldn’t normally be looking for. Best to come in with an open mind. As for the amount of swaps they generally have between 60-80, though they advertise more. 

Ah okay cool. I'm in Australia so it's just that bit more expensive. I'm a fan of arctic monkeys, and want that Sabbath, so as long as I can get a 3rd it's worth splurging for