The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

3 hours ago, GrapplesInStereo said:

If anyone would be willing to purchase me a copy of it I'd be happy to pay the full cost and then some for this release. I don't have a subscription this month (already have Lord Willin') but really want this.

Looks like I can buy multiple so pm me if you still need someone.  

1 hour ago, August West said:

Looks like I can buy multiple so pm me if you still need someone.  

Thanks! I actually just got someone, so I won't be needing it. I really appreciate the offer though.

I must admit I really wish VMP would just let their exclusives go to nonmembers for a surcharge. I already have a copy of Lord Willin' and see no point in getting another copy just to get this Madlib release. I'd gladly pay a little extra to get out of the hassle of selling records I already own and don't need just to get the rare one-offs I'm actually interested in.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, lethalenforcer said:

What's the issue? Rec'd my copy yesterday but haven't even opened the box yet.

It was advertised as a gatefold tip-on jacket. What went out is a single sleeve, non-tip-on jacket with embossed lettering, and the album plays at 45 rpm (which wasn't advertised at all).

I understand a bit of frustration but holy shit this made me want to throw my phone 

"Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have added it if I would have known it wasn't gatefold. I hate non-gatefold double albums."

Lmao is this a person? Like they exist and breathe air?

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I understand a bit of frustration but holy shit this made me want to throw my phone 

"Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have added it if I would have known it wasn't gatefold. I hate non-gatefold double albums."

They're a passionate bunch with high expectations and they get very hurt when those expectations aren't met. I'd feel worse for the VMP company and staff if they weren't raking in fat stacks of cash from the people accusing them of personal affronts. If I spent $300+ a month with them, it'd probably feel more personal for me too.

14 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm trying to think of all the records I've bought over time that don't advertise their jacket type or playing speed.  

4 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I'm trying to think of all the records I've bought over time that don't advertise their jacket type or playing speed.  

That's on VMP. A big part of their sales pitch is hyping up details like that and setting the expectation. If a significant part of your marketing focuses on tip-on jackets and gatefold artwork and liner notes and the lifestyle experience, your customers are going to perceive that as a significant part of the value. Meanwhile, when you and I buy records from listings that are just a digital proof of the LP cover and no other details other than vinyl color or weight, we're happy with whatever comes as long as it is in new condition, plays, and sounds good. The healthy vinyl lifestyle, IMO.

Edited by swb

5 minutes ago, swb said:

That's on VMP. A big part of their sales pitch is hyping up details like that and setting the expectation. If a significant part of your marketing focuses on tip-on jackets and gatefold artwork and liner notes and the lifestyle experience, your customers are going to perceive that as a significant part of the value. Meanwhile, when you and I buy records from listings that are just a digital proof of the LP cover and no other details other than vinyl color or weight, we're happy with whatever comes as long as it is in new condition, plays, and sounds good. The healthy vinyl lifestyle, IMO.

I get that part.  I just can't imagine not buying, or returning an album, because it's a double album isn't a gatefold.  I do agree that non gatefold double albums do kind of suck because it causes more wear and tear on the jacket.  

24 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

The VMP forums are a strange corner of the internet. As swb mentioned a post above me, they always pitch very specific details about the packaging, materials, design, etc - which is fine and dandy but also sets them up for backlash when their detail-obsessive customer base is shortchanged in any way.

More alarming for me was when I ventured into the Member Store thread the other day. Stuff along the lines of:

"I've never heard of this band but the cover art for that looks SWEET and I don't want FOMO - insta-buy!!!!"

and

"I tried to listen but think it's just OK. Can anyone convince me to like this music because the vinyl's aesthetics look so good I need it on my shelves".