The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

25 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I just saw on their Instagram page they commented they were working on a Store Exclusive of the Stranger Things soundtrack.  Not exactly my thing but people seem pretty excited about it.  

They also mentioned it on their forums that they're trying. Has VMP ever released an exclusive soundtrack variant before? Can't remember.

I'd love to see VMP and Mondo get variants but it's a release I know I'd be dumb and buy every release of. Sorta hoping it doesn't happen. :)

2 hours ago, YouTwo said:

I just saw on their Instagram page they commented they were working on a Store Exclusive of the Stranger Things soundtrack.  Not exactly my thing but people seem pretty excited about it.  

they will have a color for this just like Tired of Tomorrow.

same label

Just now, hammertime said:

Hmm interesting...I've always wondered why anyone does a non-crate subscription, it seems like too good of a deal to pass up.  In fact I'd pay more than $6/mo for it.  Anyway hopefully current crate subscriptions will be grandfathered in or something, I guess we'll see.

Because they want to do the album of the month subscription, the point of the club :D

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yeah, well fuck that shit.  They're going to lose a fair amount of money if they do away with the crate subscription, because I'm certainly not upgrading and I'm guessing most won't.  Are there any of their AOTMs that can't be bought from Discogs or something for close to or less than $27?

not really.. they've had a lot of worth-while exclusives specifically through them, and without a membership... you don't get it.

this may seem like they're gonna lose all the sales generated from the crate membership but in all reality.. if you want the album, you're gonna sign up.

...and when you're paying $27 and not $6... well........ VMP still wins

Edited by antisyntax

2 minutes ago, antisyntax said:

not really.. they've had a lot of worth-while exclusives specifically through them, and without a membership... you don't get it.

this may seem like they're gonna lose all the sales generated from the crate membership but in all reality.. if you want the album, you're gonna sign up.

...and when you're paying $27 and not $6... well........ VMP still wins

Not to mention most of their real popular exclusives sell out anyway.  Now they'll just sell to people paying $27 a month and not $6.  I agree it sucks if Crate is your thing, but they're not going to lose a fair amount of money because of it.  

That's true, I was thinking in terms of the album of the month, of which there are thousands and thousands, but yeah I guess people may pay more just to get access to the exclusives.  I just feel at this point the exclusives are so much more appealing than the album of the month, maybe they should change their business model instead of trying to force people to fit in it.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

That's true, I was thinking in terms of the album of the month, of which there are thousands and thousands, but yeah I guess people may pay more just to get access to the exclusives.  I just feel at this point the exclusives are so much more appealing than the album of the month, maybe they should change their business model instead of trying to force people to fit in it.

Agree with the exclusives.  But that's only because you can choose from a couple different ones and most likely find something you like.  From what I've seen on the VMP message boards, people are pretty satisfied with the AOTM format and are mainly there to discover something that they might not have heard before.  I just signed up in August, mainly to get Z, but I'm going to stick with it for a couple of months and see how it works out.  The fact that Glass Animals is this month's AOTM isn't a bad thing either.  

Yeah I think a lot of people are happy with it, but it seems to me that the album of the month feature mostly appeals to people who are new to the hobby, who are looking for an easy way to build their collection with (mostly) good stuff.  It's different from the subscription service that individual labels offer, where if you like that label's output you'll probably be happy with most of what you receive.  This is all over the map, and the pick-and-choose exclusives appeal to a wider audience.  Shrug...they're gonna do what they think is right and the rest of us will deal.

43 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Agree with the exclusives.  But that's only because you can choose from a couple different ones and most likely find something you like.  From what I've seen on the VMP message boards, people are pretty satisfied with the AOTM format and are mainly there to discover something that they might not have heard before.  I just signed up in August, mainly to get Z, but I'm going to stick with it for a couple of months and see how it works out.  The fact that Glass Animals is this month's AOTM isn't a bad thing either.  

I'm really intrigued by how malleable and eager to enjoy new music some of the posters there are.  I've been keeping tabs on VMP since near the beginning and only Pinkerton and Z were records I was interested in owning.  Conversely, there is a long thread there of people sharing how they've been playing the Glass Animals stream on repeat and they'll keep doing it until they like it or how they've never heard the band, they plan not to listen until the LP arrives in the mail, and they're super excited just to own it.

Edited by rds

Personally, I think they do an AWESOME job of curating AoTM especially as their budget has grown.  But I'm also somebody who likes pretty much anything that isn't country or bubblegum pop.   I haven't utilized a swap in the past 5 months. 

My guess is that crate membership is causing problems for them by causing exclusives to sell out at a rapid-fire pace while leaving them stuck with extra inventory on the AotM.    If you go over the forums for the site, you'll see that most people there are very happy with their AoTM membership but are frustrated with the recent difficultly in obtaining albums like Venice, Avalanches, ext. 

48 minutes ago, rds said:

I'm really intrigued by how malleable and eager to enjoy new music some of the posters there are.  I've been keeping tabs on VMP since near the beginning and only Pinkerton and Z were records I was interested in owning.  Conversely, there is a long thread there of people sharing how they've been playing the Glass Animals stream on repeat and they'll keep doing it until they like it or how they've never heard the band, they plan not to listen until the LP arrives in the mail, and they're super excited just to own it.

just like all vinyl subscription services, a majority of the subscribers do it to acquire a taste in music, unfortunately.

38 minutes ago, downisthenewup87 said:

My guess is that crate membership is causing problems for them by causing exclusives to sell out at a rapid-fire pace while leaving them stuck with extra inventory on the AotM.    If you go over the forums for the site, you'll see that most people there are very happy with their AoTM membership but are frustrated with the recent difficultly in obtaining albums like Venice, Avalanches, ext. 

If its a matter of pleasing the AOTM subscribers, they could give subscribers special pre-access to the exclusives. Or they can set a limit per customer for each exclusive (if they don't already do that.)

16 minutes ago, hammertime said:

They don't, which is insane.  On the Paak they retroactively limited it to 2 per person I think, but I'm not sure why they don't do that across the board...unless it's for that dirty secret of many labels: they don't give a shit about flippers, as long as they're moving units.

They used not to.  When they changed up the website format store, they began limiting it to 2 per order I believe.  With Paak, they retroactively switched it to one per person. 

30 minutes ago, downisthenewup87 said:

They used not to.  When they changed up the website format store, they began limiting it to 2 per order I believe.  With Paak, they retroactively switched it to one per person. 

Nope, switching to the new store didn't limit purchase amounts per title. Only with Paak they limited it to two per customer, after it was sold out.

VMP has stated on their boards that for albums that sell out quickly, they have retroactively refunded those who have ordered a significant number of units.

From a business stand point I never fully understood the Crate option, or at least how it was implemented, when they still wanted to focus on AOTMs. Many of their subscribers moved to the Crate model and simply didn't mind waiting a month to ensure the AOTM is one they want. It may cost more in $ per album, but reduces the overall $ you spend on albums you don't necessarily want. So from VMP's standpoint, I see their want to potentially remove the Crate subscription, or at least amend it to be more of a Crate option and separate out the AOTM member store from the Crate store, where leftovers are placed. 

Also, the idea that subscription services are for acquiring music taste is laughable. I subscribe to VMP because I have the disposable income to do so, not because I don't know what I like.

12 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

I think getting rid of Crate will also weed out the people who just use it to flip the exclusives that sell out quickly (like our old buddy Halo 2, who also has quite the reputation on the VMP message boards as well.   He had Venice up for $80 the same day it sold out)

What I really don't get about that guy is why he lists something for $200, then 3 hours later he changes it to $25...he's not even making money if he's selling it at that price...also so many of the things he lists are like "shrink removed, never played" or "shrink removed, played twice"...what's the point of opening it if you aren't even going to listen to it?  None of it makes any sense to me.

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

What I really don't get about that guy is why he lists something for $200, then 3 hours later he changes it to $25...he's not even making money if he's selling it at that price...also so many of the things he lists are like "shrink removed, never played" or "shrink removed, played twice"...what's the point of opening it if you aren't even going to listen to it?  None of it makes any sense to me.

At one point he had said that he bought the Manchester Orchestra represses so that he could take pictures of them. He then had them up for sale.