Turntable Expert NEEDED!

I recently purchased a rotel rp-2300 and my current AV receiver Yamaha htr-6230 did not come with a phono input so I purchased a fjb-200x phono pre-amp to get the table up to line. The only issue I am having is that when I plug the red and white RCA into my AV receiver I only get sound sound from both speakers when I only have the white cable plugged in. It works but I'm sure I'm getting only the left side in both speakers. As soon as I plug the red cable in the sound goes to one side. I tried multiple ports and still the same issue. I purchased a new RCA cable and nothing changed. It couldn't be my AV receiver because I tested the RCA ports with another device. Also I don't think it's the turntable because when I plug into the RCA ports with no preamp it goes to both speakers it's just very low volume.

I'm just confused as to why it goes to both speakers when only the left is plugged in? Before I purchase another pre amp I was wondering if anyone had this issue before and if there is an easy fix?

Are you sure the phono preamp is working properly?

Are you sure the RCA cables are working properly?

When you say "you tried multiple ports" what does that mean?

Are you sure your cartridge is working properly?

Are you sure the cartridge/tonearm wiring is working properly?

etc. etc. etc.

If you're using a turntable on a receiver with a phono pre then you need to be sure the source is "phono". If you're using an external phono preamp then you need to be using an AUX or TAPE input since you're bypassing the internal phono preamp by doing so. Either way, this doesn't really sound like the issue you're having.

The easiest trouble shooting solution is testing everything because your issue to me is unclear. You can test the RCA plugs using a multimeter to make sure both the positive and grounds are working properly or test them using another piece of gear. You can also test the phono preamp the same way with a multimeter to at least be sure signal is properly transmitting from the inputs to the outputs. In fact most the stuff I asked initially can be tested via a multimeter. My first thought is the issue lies with your phono preamp but I can't say that for certain based on your comment.

Hope that kinda helps. Keep us posted.

sounds like the phono preamp is faulty.  Return/exchange it.

If, for some reason, you are not convinced, you can try flipping the red/white inputs around and see if the problem follows.

as for why you're getting 1 channel spread across both right and left when only 1 cable is plugged in, your AV amp may be doing this assuming it is receiving a mono source?  If that's the case, it's kind of a goofy feature as mono sources are uncommon and you can easily support them with a Y cable.