Agalloch Reissues

26 minutes ago, Freki said:

Unless you literally saw them on the shelves, it's pretty unlikely they ever had them.

I've done pre-orders through Amazon with the exact situation – on the release day the availability will go from "pre-order" to "out of stock". This tells me they never got any copies from the label.

my experience as well, especially common with foreign imports. my guess is they take preorders and then IF they get them in stock, they charge and ship out. 

Damn.  I ordered both and didn't get shit.  And I ordered within like an hour of announcement.  Not to mention that there is no indication whatsoever on the packaging about which LPs are black and which ones are the colored versions.

Did anyone with the colored version have any indication on exterior of the jacket to show that it's the colored version?

11 minutes ago, hezagenius said:

Damn.  I ordered both and didn't get shit.  And I ordered within like an hour of announcement.  Not to mention that there is no indication whatsoever on the packaging about which LPs are black and which ones are the colored versions.

Did anyone with the colored version have any indication on exterior of the jacket to show that it's the colored version?

The colored ones have a thin layer of shrink-wrap on the sides that you can carefully slit to extract the records to peek at.  I kind of hope other labels start using a similar identifier; takes a lot of the guesswork out of just staring at the jacket and wondering.

7 minutes ago, hezagenius said:

Oh, I get it now.  You were trying to be clever.  Well done, sport, well done!  That really was top notch.  I forgot how some users here know everything about records including telling other people how they should collect them.

I do what I can, famalam.  Never claimed to know "everything" about records, but I'm admittedly pretty good at opening them and pulling them out to see if they're colored or not.  Either way, I'm glad to help you out.

An alternative method, though perhaps not as popular, is to flip a coin and just open one of the two copies (assuming you only bought one black and one colored copy of each).  If it's the black copy, it's probably safe to assume that the other (sealed) copy is colored.  It's at this point that you can breathe easily and safely return it to your shelf or frame... unless there was a packaging error at a manufacturer level.  (This is unlikely, out of your control, and will lead to an eventual stroke if you dwell on it for too long.)  If you accidentally open a colored copy, what a lot of folks are doing is snapping the record in half and using the angled edges to slit their wrists and consequently end their lives, since there's typically no point in living when your limited vinIys have one side of their shrink-wrap cut open.

But jokes aside, who are you and why are you shitting me?

22 minutes ago, hezagenius said:

Oh, I get it now.  You were trying to be clever.  Well done, sport, well done!  That really was top notch.  I forgot how some users here know everything about records including telling other people how they should collect them.

If you're not going to open them I think you have the wrong forum. You're looking for www.12x12albumartworkcollective.com

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

LOL..why would I make something like that up?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you made it up, we just got sidetracked and nobody was mentioning it. That is pretty slick, nothing I'm bummed I missed out on or anything, but it is pretty cool.

Edited by clerk3745

12 hours ago, hezagenius said:

I want to open the black copies to listen to.  The color variants are for the collecting aspect of this hobby.  I thought that was evident considering this forum is for vinyl collecting.  I'm confident knowing that the colored variants have the same music.  That doesn't mean I need to open them to verify.

as a vinyl enthusiast and portfolio manager, i've noticed that slitting the shrink (as derek mentioned) is a great way to confirm the color of my recordings while ensuring that my rare, hard-to-find presses are in good enough condition to provide solid year-over-year gains for my vinyl portfolio.

• 2 weeks later...