*Edit* Buzz/Hum coming from Project Debut Carbon - Help!

So, the standard RCA/Ground cable that came with my Debut-Carbon DC has crapped out so I'm needing to replace it. I've read several different snippets of individuals stating that the stock cable that comes with the TT's are actually incredibly awful. I've looked for replacements such as the Pro-Ject Audio - Connect it Model Phono RCA-CC - 1.23M RCA-CC or Connect It RCA Phono Interconnect Cable (1.2m)but I'm hesitant to throw down $100.00 for a simple RCA/Ground cable. I'm sure there are much less expensive options out there with comparable results/connectivity.

I was leaning towards grabbing some Audioquest Evergreen's (not sure what the difference between 1.0/2.0 is). But that would still leave me with locating a ground connection and I'm not too sure how to determine what type if any specifically, to purchase. Excuse my ignorance on the technicality, this is why I need your help, haha.

Setup:

White Debut Carbon DC

Bellari Rolls VP29 Phono Pre-Amp

Audioengine A2+ Speakers

A big thanks in advance to those who reply.

the ground wire is just a piece of wire.  basically anything will do. 

as for the interconnect, you have a lot of options.  you can spend anywhere from a few dollars to a few thousand. 

you can get a set of blue jeans cable inteconnects for something like $30.

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated. 

So the ground can be just normal speaker wire? There's no need for the horseshoe type of connector? 

The Audioquest Evergreens should suffice for the RCA/RCA hookup much like the BJC interconnects right?

Again, my apologies if I sound insanely clueless on this. 

What he said.

A ground wire is a ground wire, nothing special. Use one side of a thin speaker wire etc.

BTW, how did your ground wire "crap out"?

Thanks for the reply man, I just realized a couple others commented on here. Well I have somewhat of a predicament now. I can't seem to get rid of a buzz/hum coming through my speakers.

Intially, I felt that the buzz/hum was coming from the stock RCA cable - the solder from the wire and curved connector came apart. I now know that this wouldn't even make a different thanks to Tardcore's comment above along with continuing to have the same result with new cables. Long story short, I'm still getting a slight buzz/hum. I've tried my absolute best to isolate the issue and have narrowed it down to either the TT or my pre-amp. No hum or buzz comes from the speakers alone, however once I connect the TT to my pre-amp, it starts. It's not unbearably loud but it's obviously still a bother, especially during the quieter transitions during songs.

Any suggestions? I've tried looking online and the Project Debut's are apparently known to have this buzz/hum - I guess I should've done more research before my purchase? Haha. When I lived in LA back in August there was no hum/buzz, now that I've moved back to SD, it's here. Could it possible be an electrical issue within my apartment complex? I appreciate any input!

Do you have any dimmer switches in your apartment? My table will sometimes buzz if I have the dimmer switch on, which is located on the other side of my house, when I play records. Once it's off, the hum goes away.

Do you have any dimmer switches in your apartment? My table will sometimes buzz if I have the dimmer switch on, which is located on the other side of my house, when I play records. Once it's off, the hum goes away.

I have about three throughout the apartment, the one closest to the turntable has been off when I've noticed this issue. However, I can't quite remember if the others have been on during those times. I'll give it a shot today in hopes that it will alleviate the issue.

• 2 weeks later...