PO: Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere

• 3 weeks later...

I've received a promo copy to review the record for a German internet zine and I'm just drafting my review.

From my perspective, the record is great. If you've gone with Thrice all the way from Identiy Crisis to Major/Minor, you'll also dig the new record. If you expect stagnancy or a return to some previous sound, you might be disappointed. But that's what Thrice has always been about, right?!

From "Blood on the sand" to "Black honey" is exactly the diversity the new record has to offer.

Edited by xtobi-wanx

28 minutes ago, xtobi-wanx said:

I've received a promo copy to review the record for a German internet zine and I'm just drafting my review.

From my perspective, the record is great. If you've gone with Thrice all the way from Identiy Crisis to Major/Minor, you'll also dig the new record. If you expect stagnancy or a return to some previous sound, you might be disappointed. But that's what Thrice has always been about, right?!

From "Blood on the sands" to "Black honey" is exactly the diversity the new record has to offer.

please tell me that blood on the sand is the worst song of the record by far!

Edited by xfactor675

13 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

please tell me that blood on the sands is worst song of the record by far!

sorry, but I actually also like "Blood on the sand"...

Some songs are more in the vein of Major/Minor (like "Black honey" or "The window") some go far into the area of alternative pop with hooklines that get stuck in the ear (like "Blood on the sand" or "Stay with me"). Some expand the Thrice context even further; the chorus of "Death from above" for example sounds almost like Tool.

They put up another teaser, for "The Window," on instagram and facebook. Heavies, dirties, groovies. What I'm hearing in this latest teaser is the type of sound I was hoping for with this release. If they sprinkle some ambience/twinkly goodies (i.e. Atlantic, anything on Water, Circles, etc.) in addition, I will be more than a happy camper. 

Given that they've been releasing these small snippets chronologically on a daily basis, I fully expect to hear a snippet of Wake Up tomorrow, and so on. Pretty cool. 

On 5/17/2016 at 8:11 AM, xtobi-wanx said:

From "Blood on the sand" to "Black honey" is exactly the diversity the new record has to offer.

Care to elaborate on this? I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that the general sound/vibe of the album falls in between these two tracks, where Blood on the Sand and Black Honey represent the polar extremes? The last thing I wanna do is knock Thrice, but if my interpretation of what you've said is correct, that would be a huge shame; as I think those songs are not terribly different from each other.