PO: Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Gave this two listens yesterday and I only liked two songs (three if you count the 1 minute one).  They just aren't playing the music I want them to play anymore.  I'm not surprised by it at all and I have no problem with the continuing progression of their sound, even if it isn't in a direction I like.  This leans way too heavy into the hard rock arena for my taste.  A friend described it as 'dad rock for millennials', which I find pretty spot on.  Going to keep listening to it and see if any other songs get my attention, but overall I'm real glad I didn't end up buying this.

I 100% agree with this. I'm not a fan of dad rock for milennials. 

I guess i just don't hear the butt rock thing. Maybe on death from above(which i admit is pretty bad after repeated listens) and wake up but the rest of the album feels like a pretty good mix of the last 3-4 albums with a much more killer guitar tone to me. Hurricane might be the best song they've written since vheissu.

6 hours ago, batman said:

well, so far this album just doesn't do it for me... i'll spend more time with it while driving, but some tracks are really cringeworthy. thrice days grace? i never thought thrice would go butt rock...

It's weird cause one spin I'll hear it and the next I won't. My opinion on this albums keeps going back and forth. Hmm. 

3 hours ago, andyrobbins said:

weird, I ordered a smoke copy and got gray marble 

Still waiting for mine to show up. Hoping it will be grey marble and not black. Plenty of those hanging out at my local store. 

Also, after 6+ listens, I've formulated a conclusive opinion: Solid record with the exception of the choruses in Wake Up, and Stay With Me. Whistleblower's lyrics are a tad annoying to me, but the instrumentation and the 5/8 goodness makes up for it. Hurricane, The Window, The Long Defeat, and Salt and Shadow are all fantastic Thrice songs. 

I've gotta add, though, that I share the sentiment that this encroaches upon "dad rock." I find it hard to set my Thrice bias aside with this one; would I enjoy it as much if I never heard of Thrice before or if I hadn't been a massive fan for the last 14 years? I'm not sure. 

After spending the last 4 days with this album on non-stop rotation heres my breakdown

Hurricane- This is one of the many reason I love Thrice, probably one of the best songs they've written since Alchemy, in my opinion blows anything off M/m out of the water, great opening track and my favorite from the album.

Blood on the Sand- Took a long time to grow on me, not bad, not great still pretty ambivalent towards it 

The Window- One of the weaker tracks not bad by any means just not a stand out track in my opinion

Wake Up- I actually really like this track, it seems not many do, i like the funkyness of it by no means is it a strong track but I enjoy it

The Long Defeat- Another track i like that seems many people don't, it's nothing special but it's a pretty good song

Seneca- the verdict is still out for me on this, I like the atmospheric feel of the song but it's just a filler track

Black Honey- Probably the strongest hardest track on this album, I liked it the moment i heard it

Stay With Me- Lyrics are a little annoying but it's a good song

Death From Above- Super political as is much of the album but probably the closest to "old" Thrice on the album

Whistleblower- I dig this track a lot, it's fast and aggressive and I like that, lyrics are corn ball though

Salt and Shadow- LOVE THIS TRACK! Got a Bon Iver feel to it and I dig that, great book ends on this album the first and last song on the album are fantastic ways to open and close a fairly sub par album from Thrice

Also fuck that dick hole who got a smoke and didn't order it, I hope his stylus breaks!