Need some advice, sold a record on eBay

Hey guys, 

I apologize if this is in the wrong section but I need some help. Basically, beginning of this month, sold a record on eBay. The bidding got increasingly high, and ended at about $150. I promptly shipped out the record after payment received (packaged properly) and all was good! Until a few days ago. The buyer is claiming that the record is having playback issues (audio cutting in and out, he claims due to warping) and is insisting on a refund. I played this record not too long ago before selling it and there was absolutely no issues like this. To me, it sounds like it's the fault of his setup. I respectfully respond to him asking to please check all adjustments on his turntable to make sure it's not a fault of his player (maybe an imbalanced tone arm, or something). I feel like he is having buyers remorse, but I will never come to a conclusion without proof regardless. He is very quick to say it is not his set up and keeps demanding a refund. I ask then if he can please provide provide proof of this issue (either a video of the record playing on his table with the audio cutting in and out, or a picture of the warp). He says that he does not have a video camera and cannot provide proof, while still insisting on the refund. I even ask as far as saying if he can provide an audio recording of it, but he dodges the question. Tomorrow (the 29th) is the first day that i'm eligible to get eBay involved and to make the decision. Now at this point I'm thinking, well, I have nothing to lose cause if eBay gets involved and I lose, he gets his money back and I get my record. But after reading several people's experiences, apparently, a lot of the time eBay will have the buyer keep the item AND refund him the money. I have no idea how accurate that is, but there are multiple people saying it happened to them. His last message said 'are you giving me a refund or not". 

Am I better off not responding to this message, and getting eBay involved tomorrow? Is it not worth fighting and should I give in? I feel like not being able to provide proof is a pretty legitimate reason to not accept a return. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe I just worry to much. Thanks! 

Make him send it back for a refund. Someone is trying to get a free record they overpaid for I bet.

Do you think this is a better option than fighting for him to keep it and for me to keep the money? 

Side note: Am I protected if I receive the record and absolutely nothing is wrong with it and I provide proof it plays perfectly? 

Typically if you buy a "defective" item and want a refund, you usually send the item back to the seller. You're better off getting it returned to you, then refunding him. I bet he'll try sending a complaint to eBay if he doesn't get his money back soon.

If he did file a complaint to eBay, would I be in the wrong? I just feel like the lack of proof gives me the upper hand.

definitely have him send it back and then give him the refund. if you fight him and win the case, he will 100% leave you negative feedback. if you fight him and lose the case, he has your record and your money.

get the record back, refund him the money, and then re-list the record. once you issue the refund through eBay, they'll refund the seller fee from the first auction so you're not out any money. if the bidding went as high as it did the first time, it'll go similarly high the second time because the person/people who lost out on the first auction won't want to miss out again.

just be respectful and apologetic (even if you have done nothing wrong) to the dude you're dealing with now and make sure you get your record back. it'll all work out.

definitely have him send it back and then give him the refund. if you fight him and win the case, he will 100% leave you negative feedback. if you fight him and lose the case, he has your record and your money.

get the record back, refund him the money, and then re-list the record. once you issue the refund through eBay, they'll refund the seller fee from the first auction so you're not out any money. if the bidding went as high as it did the first time, it'll go similarly high the second time because the person/people who lost out on the first auction won't want to miss out again.

just be respectful and apologetic (even if you have done nothing wrong) to the dude you're dealing with now and make sure you get your record back. it'll all work out.

Two things:

I don't mind negative feedback because I don't plan to sell anything on eBay. I've sold about 3 things and after this headache I probably won't bother  :mellow:

Say I sent it in perfect condition, I get it back in a worse condition then I sent it (maybe the issue he's having was caused by something he did), do I have any protection?

Since OP already got sound advice in this thread, anyone else stop selling on eBay for this exact reason? Buyer pays a lot of money then somehow tries to get the money back and keep the record. Gives me pause.

I can safely say I'm done selling (at least records) on eBay after all of this. Seen too many stories of buyers abusing eBay's money back guarantee. 

I've had issues like this arise whenever I sell a record for over $100. I've flat out called the buyer out on BS and then reported him for fraud the same day. Not to sure how eBay would handle it on his end, but I just prefer being the first person to contact eBay over a scam like this......even flip phones have a video function :P

Half the time the people on eBay have the same username as their IG or FB and you can find them doing hashtags #NowSpinning or #OMGIFinallyBoughtA150DollarFrisbee