Need some advice, sold a record on eBay

EBay really pisses me off with the whole " no negative feedback can be left by a seller". I get a kick out if reading some members "positive" feedback. A lot of times it's a negative feedback written in the POS feedback format.

It's a crock of shit. No protection for the seller.

EBay really pisses me off with the whole " no negative feedback can be left by a seller". I get a kick out if reading some members "positive" feedback. A lot of times it's a negative feedback written in the POS feedback format.

It's a crock of shit. No protection for the seller.

I totally agree.

As a seller myself I've had my share of crazy buyers. I was selling a large lot of collectable toys. The shipping price was $25 and was stated several times throughout the description, including under "shipping charges." A buyer wins the auction then complains to me that $25 is too expensive and the rate should be much cheaper, and he'll contact Ebay if I don't lower it. Luckily Ebay took my side almost immediately and the sale was canceled and my fees refunded (the buyer ended up getting suspended weeks later, big surprise). I wasn't able to leave negative feedback because the issue was "resolved" by Ebay, but in reality this moron was still free to run around doing stupid stuff. Go figure.

I've asked an eBay rep about no negative feedback for a buyer. They said that when they allowed it they saw buyers leaving legitimate (who's to say it was) negative feedback and sellers would be vindictive and leave negative back for the buyer.

Maybe they should have a system that you can't see the feedback until both parties leave it, like Airbnb

I've asked an eBay rep about no negative feedback for a buyer. They said that when they allowed it they saw buyers leaving legitimate (who's to say it was) negative feedback and sellers would be vindictive and leave negative back for the buyer.

Maybe they should have a system that you can't see the feedback until both parties leave it, like Airbnb

^^^^this

i had this happen to me a couple times back in the day. in one instance, i bought an "official" band shirt that wound up being a super crappy low-quality knockoff. we're talking cheap iron-on. i went about trying to get a return/refund, but would only get the purchase price back, not the original shipping and have to pay for return shipping myself out of pocket, so it wasn't even worth it to do so. i left negative feedback so other potential buyers would be warned that the items being sold weren't legitimate and the person freaked out and left me some really nasty negative feedback. 

there are some legitimately crappy buyers out there, unfortunately, and i totally agree there should be a way to leave negative feedback for either party without the possibility of retaliation.

Well he decided to ship the record back after saying he wouldn't until I gave him a refund. Luckily the pictures check out and he did ship the exact same record I sent him (always worried someone has a defective one and will try and return the bad one). Listening to it right now, as expected, absolutely no issues. Not worth taking it up with eBay though after all of this. I will probably offer it to the second highest bidder, but I'm definitely very iffy on it. It's reassuring listening to it seeing there's nothing wrong, cause I definitely had those moments of "what if I somehow didn't catch it?".

Gotta hand it to the seller though, he shipped it back very well packaged. I was totally expecting a half assed packing job as a nice F-You to me. 

I get the while vindictive feedback business but there should either be an automatic negative placed for nonpayment or the option to leave feedback for nonpayment. As for disputes like these there should be some note for cases that buyers lose or a scam alert of some type. Haven't sold there in a few years and probably not going to anytime soon.

OP, as hard as it is to do and as well-intentioned as we strangers on the internet can be, please take all the experiences and second-hand stories you hear from us with a grain of salt.

When in doubt, always call eBay/PayPal/whatever company and ask them your questions directly.  Press 0 on your keypad until you get on the phone with a person who speaks your language and is able to listen to your concerns, and then explain your situation, describe what outcome or risk you are trying to avoid, and ask them for their advice.  If what they say sounds odd to you or they aren't quite getting your situation, politely ask them to transfer you to a different associate or a supervisor.

If you (or anyone reading this who finds themselves in a similar situation) are having trouble articulating the situation, what your ideal resolution would be, or what outcome you are trying to avoid in a clear, calm manner, then maybe you are still getting a grasp of the situation yourself or your ideal resolution is not as simple or impartial as you think.

More times than not, if you do that calmly and you are armed with the simple, clear truth on your side, you will discover that you are covered and will be protected.  The rumors about eBay/PayPal forcing you to give a refund without receiving the record back are overblown and often leave out important details.  For example, eBay does occasionally let buyers keep the item and also get their money back but the returned money is out of eBay's pocket, NOT the seller's.  It's called a courtesy return and eBay usually only does these courtesy returns for long-time users in good standing.  It's a courtesy to both the buyer and seller to resolve a situation and leave you both satisfied.  Other times, a seller can get the raw end of a deal because they did not communicate during the arbitration process and let an eBay rep auto-close the case for the buyer or they resorted to name-calling or another non-helpful action and, again, made it easy for the eBay rep to close the case for the buyer.  There is also the opportunity for an eBay or PayPal rep to make an incorrect decision that goes against their own policy or instructions or to be misled by false information from the buyer, and you will still have the opportunity to rectify that if, again, you are calm and armed with simple, clear facts.

All this is said with the goal of encouraging you (and others) to use your agency and use the tools available to you, instead of taking second-hand info and deciding that you're screwed and there's nothing you can do.  If eBay is giving you a little extra cash for gas and dates and fun stuff, keep doing it and use this as an opportunity to become a smarter seller.  Don't stop because you read nightmare stories on the eBay forums or Google. People out there want the vinyl you are selling!  B)