[PO] Swans – The Glowing Man

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Should be the best kind of afraid.

Please post first impressions when you're able.  I'd love to hear them.

It's my first listen and I'm not even halfway through, so everything I could possibly say is premature. Yet, from the overall vibe and atmosphere I'm getting from the first hour of material, it's a lot closer to Seer than TBK, which I am very happy about. I mean, TBK was great, but it ultimately is a record I don't revisit very often, because of the lack of urgency/density of the material. It's almost a fun album to listen to, in Swans-terms, sure, but nonetheless it's very different in its overall atmosphere.

So, my first impression is that TGM hits closer to The Seer in terms of atmospheric weight, which is the one thing that I find TBK to be sort of lacking in. And said weight and urgency is what makes The Seer the fascinating monster that it is, to me, at least. The first LP is full of sinister chit chat, droning post-everything instrumentation and this urgency! Ugh. It really is almost frightening.

Still, there's some strange, almost alienating musicianship going on on side 3 right now. It's fun, kind of, with a weird wind section following Gira's every word. But it's being held down in the abyss through mean, droning guitars lingering in the back. I love it.

So, to no much surprise, I feel like this album tries to tie both predecessors strenghts into one last fully blown up big bang. And, damn, I think M. Gira succeeded once more in doing so.

On 16 June 2016 at 5:36 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

It's my first listen and I'm not even halfway through, so everything I could possibly say is premature. Yet, from the overall vibe and atmosphere I'm getting from the first hour of material, it's a lot closer to Seer than TBK, which I am very happy about. I mean, TBK was great, but it ultimately is a record I don't revisit very often, because of the lack of urgency/density of the material. It's almost a fun album to listen to, in Swans-terms, sure, but nonetheless it's very different in its overall atmosphere.

So, my first impression is that TGM hits closer to The Seer in terms of atmospheric weight, which is the one thing that I find TBK to be sort of lacking in. And said weight and urgency is what makes The Seer the fascinating monster that it is, to me, at least. The first LP is full of sinister chit chat, droning post-everything instrumentation and this urgency! Ugh. It really is almost frightening.

Still, there's some strange, almost alienating musicianship going on on side 3 right now. It's fun, kind of, with a weird wind section following Gira's every word. But it's being held down in the abyss through mean, droning guitars lingering in the back. I love it.

So, to no much surprise, I feel like this album tries to tie both predecessors strenghts into one last fully blown up big bang. And, damn, I think M. Gira succeeded once more in doing so.

On 16 June 2016 at 10:01 PM, Eliminator Jr. said:

I sure did! The title track has an awkwardly fitting ten minute Krautrock-section that almost had me spill my coffee. Good stuff. 

Thanks for your initial thoughts and review! Sounds awesome :)

Received mine today, cannot wait to give it a spin tomorrow!

Edited by essjaydee

Finally had time to listen to this across the weekend (did sides 1-4 on Sat and 5-6 on Sun) and, whilst (as with most Swans releases) it's hard for me to really give a definitive impression on only one listen, I can basically just say: "WOW!".

Was pretty blown away by it (to be totally honest I was preparing for it to not be as good as I'd hoped) and as people previously mentioned, loved the sense of depth, weight, urgency, dread and menace that seems to be ever-present in places, coupled with the brief moments of euphoria and almost seance-like uprising. The drums and bass were relentless (in a very good way!) :) For me though, the greatest aspect is that obvious repeat listen appeal - there's so much amazing sh*t going on within every second, of every track, each spin gives and gives again.

Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!

Edited by essjaydee

Mine arrived Saturday, and in my opinion it's definitely up there with The Seer as the best of the band's current iteration.

I had a question about the DVD though - I pre-ordered the vinyl from Young God and, even though I don't recall it being advertised as coming with a DVD (t think the only mention was the CD/DVD combo), mine came with a DVD anyway - it was in a plain white sleeve outside of the record.  So that was certainly a nice surprise! Does anyone know if pre-orders from previous records came with the DVD along with the vinyl?  I bought The Seer at a show and To Be Kind at my local shop, and neither came with DVDs, although each was also available as a CD/DVD combo, which i kind of regret not getting when I had a chance...

1 hour ago, The Royal Dutch of Dukes said:

Mine arrived Saturday, and in my opinion it's definitely up there with The Seer as the best of the band's current iteration.

I had a question about the DVD though - I pre-ordered the vinyl from Young God and, even though I don't recall it being advertised as coming with a DVD (t think the only mention was the CD/DVD combo), mine came with a DVD anyway - it was in a plain white sleeve outside of the record.  So that was certainly a nice surprise! Does anyone know if pre-orders from previous records came with the DVD along with the vinyl?  I bought The Seer at a show and To Be Kind at my local shop, and neither came with DVDs, although each was also available as a CD/DVD combo, which i kind of regret not getting when I had a chance...

If I recall correctly, they did this in the past with both To Be Kind and The Seer.  I remember being a bit tiffed about them tossing in the DVD (yes, it was silly) with the LP because I purchased both CD and vinyl versions at the same time as to not miss out on the DVD, which I thought was a CD exclusive.

2 hours ago, Sanjuro said:

If I recall correctly, they did this in the past with both To Be Kind and The Seer.  I remember being a bit tiffed about them tossing in the DVD (yes, it was silly) with the LP because I purchased both CD and vinyl versions at the same time as to not miss out on the DVD, which I thought was a CD exclusive.

Thanks! I hadn't bothered with the pre-orders before since I'm not really big on signatures, but now I wish I did.  I may have to snag a Seer DVD on ebay, since that tour was one of the better shows I've seen in years.

The website still states "*SIGNED BY M.GIRA*"

Now that may mean the item has to have asterisks around it in order to get a signed copy, but this is my first order, and have no idea if the website has changed from then to now. :P

Given the stellar reviews of this album here, I want to hear it.

In the notes section I asked if I can have a DVD with the vinyl version of the album....keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Edited by Plarocks
Typo

11 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Wait, will I get the DVD if I order from Young God now or is this generally a preorder thing? I cancelled my Amazon order to either switch or get it at the show

You will for sure get the DVD if you purchase the CD version. That goes without saying.  However, I would say there is a good chance you will get the DVD if you purchase directly from YGR.

44 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

The website still states "*SIGNED BY M.GIRA*"

Now that may mean the item has to have asterisks around it in order to get a signed copy, but this is my first order, and have no idea if the website has changed from them to now. :P

Given the stellar reviews of this album here, I want to hear it.

In the notes section I asked if I can have a DVD with the vinyl version of the album....keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Everything is always signed by him coming from Young God and it's lame asking for free things.