PO: The Verve - A Northern Soul 2LP

Saw this posted by Paul @ Super Deluxe Edition this morning, The Verve's 1995 masterpiece A Northern Soul is getting a re-release on vinyl, the original is fairly easy to find but costs you a pretty penny. I've paid over US$100 for a NM copy back around 2009, just still wasn't quiet enough though. Hopefully we get more source info on this one before release date, which is August 26th.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-VINYL-Verve/dp/B01DVG3UII/

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-verve-a-northern-soul-2lp-vinyl/

This was one of the records I bought back in the day that I am happy I did because if I tried to pick it up when I went into collecting over drive, I would have paid out the ass for it. Glad other people can get it now. Stellar album from the best band. Hopefully the new pressing is as good or better than the original.

excellent news, I am up for this. Paul had this to say

"Another sought-after and very expensive rarity will lose its value overnight, since Universal Music will reissue The Verve‘s second studio album, A Northern Soul, as a 2LP vinyl set in August.

Like many long-players of this era, the 1995 album received only a very limited release on vinyl in the UK and only came out on CD and cassette in the States. The original vinyl is therefore VERY expensive on the used market."

Not sure this is really the case, certainly not for the few originals I have wanted after a reissue was made available

This was one of the records I bought back in the day that I am happy I did because if I tried to pick it up when I went into collecting over drive, I would have paid out the ass for it. Glad other people can get it now. Stellar album from the best band. Hopefully the new pressing is as good or better than the original.

still remember that day you were like "yo, Milk, there's a copy at Broadway Reckless" and I faked sick from work in the middle of the day to grab it.

board bros 4ever...

excellent news, I am up for this. Paul had this to say

"Another sought-after and very expensive rarity will lose its value overnight, since Universal Music will reissue The Verve‘s second studio album, A Northern Soul, as a 2LP vinyl set in August.

Like many long-players of this era, the 1995 album received only a very limited release on vinyl in the UK and only came out on CD and cassette in the States. The original vinyl is therefore VERY expensive on the used market."

Not sure this is really the case, certainly not for the few originals I have wanted after a reissue was made available

I think it depends on how it's done, if this was recorded to tape and they do a proper AAA cut of it pressed someplace like MPO who do whisper quiet, dead centred pressings, it could definitely either reduce the value of an original or reduce the # of people looking for one. If it comes out without any information regarding the mastering, cutting, pressing, etc., I expect the original will retain its full value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UMC store has a few options up, here's a look at the expanded digital releases:

A Storm in Heaven:
- The 'A Storm In Heaven' 3CD box set features the original album remastered by Chris Potter (co-producer of 'Urban Hymns').

- The second CD features EP tracks and b-sides, while the third is packed with studio sessions, radio recordings and two previously unreleased studio tracks

- There's also a DVD featuring the band live at Camden Town Hall in 1992 and some extra unseen footage.

A Northern Soul:
- The 'A Northern Soul' 3CD box set features the original album, once again remastered by Chris Potter (co-producer of 'Urban Hymns').
- The second CD features all the b-sides from the 'This Is Music', 'On Your Own' and 'History' singles, while CD3 features a plethora of unreleased studio and BBC sessions.
- Both the vinyl and CD box sets also feature never-before-seen photos and a 36 page booklet with new interviews.

They have a 15% off bundle if you order both vinyl releases, not sure if it comes out cheaper than Amazon UK for North American buyers given Amazon UK remove VAT and I don't know if UMC store does - https://store.udiscovermusic.com/search.html?term=the+verve

Edited by dobyblue

I preordered everything except the Storm vinyl from Amazon UK, the Canada website had a decent price on Storm (CDN$24) so I ordered from them Prime.

I'm not holding out hope that the remastering will be great as Chris Potter did the This Is Music and the older ASIH-era tracks don't sound great at all so compressed, but given these are two of my all time fave albums I'm compelled to order everything and at least give it all a once listen through before I decide whether or not to keep it.

At the very least I'm champing at the bit for that '92 Camden DVD.