OUT NOW: If These Trees Could Talk - The Bones Of A Dying World 2xLP | Metal Blade

Goddammit. I couldn't resist. Too many people texting me--including members of the band--telling me about how hard everyone's shitting on my cover, so I caved and broke my "Never look at Vinyl Collective" rule.

A few things. The artwork is comprised of photographs I took myself while traveling in Iceland. Before my trip, I convened with the band and we all agreed it would be awesome to use photos from the trip for the record. IE: "Iron Glacier" especially fits with the glacial subject matter. The cover image is actually a photo of an iceberg field, and there's another photo from this same location inside the packaging. You can see Metal Blade used some of these photos on the teaser video.

I see a lot of complaining about the typography: which is actually blind-embossed on the gatefold jacket. We wanted the type fancy die-cut, but it was actually rejected from the pressing plant for being too intricate. So instead I got everyone on board for the type on the cover to be invisible, just embossed into the paper stock. There'll also be a sticker on the shrink-wrap/poly-bag, but that's a minuscule detail not worth mentioning.

As for the "deluxe'ness" of the packaging, you get an embossed Gatefold jacket that's printed on a sturdy uncoated stock. Two inner sleeves that are actually printed wth metallic inks with a glossy finish, and an etching on the d-side.

Oh, and the USA and EUR versions have different d-side etchings. I hand-drew the illustrations for the etchings, based on photos from the rest of the packaging. I was thinking about possible hosting a giveaway online to giveaway one of these original drawings. Though the general attitude in this thread makes me think no one gives a shit about the art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I can take for now. Time to try and be productive after having all winds taken outta my sails.

I don't dislike the cover art, honestly.

The typeface is a little hard to read, but that could just be the photo, and I dig that it's actually embossed.

Chin up, Charlie!

In a continued effort to have the best "looking" record collections, you guys have simultaneously insulted both the band and the graphic designer behind the album. How much of your internet posturing and art critiquing is gonna matter when your 4 copies are sitting on your shelf, not being played, not even being looked at, while you're back on here in a few more months getting up in arms over some other release. Priorities, guys.

The new song sounds rad.

Goddammit. I couldn't resist. Too many people texting me--including members of the band--telling me about how hard everyone's shitting on my cover, so I caved and broke my "Never look at Vinyl Collective" rule.

A few things. The artwork is comprised of photographs I took myself while traveling in Iceland. Before my trip, I convened with the band and we all agreed it would be awesome to use photos from the trip for the record. IE: "Iron Glacier" especially fits with the glacial subject matter. The cover image is actually a photo of an iceberg field, and there's another photo from this same location inside the packaging. You can see Metal Blade used some of these photos on the teaser video.

I see a lot of complaining about the typography: which is actually blind-embossed on the gatefold jacket. We wanted the type fancy die-cut, but it was actually rejected from the pressing plant for being too intricate. So instead I got everyone on board for the type on the cover to be invisible, just embossed into the paper stock. There'll also be a sticker on the shrink-wrap/poly-bag, but that's a minuscule detail not worth mentioning.

As for the "deluxe'ness" of the packaging, you get an embossed Gatefold jacket that's printed on a sturdy uncoated stock. Two inner sleeves that are actually printed wth metallic inks with a glossy finish, and an etching on the d-side.

Oh, and the USA and EUR versions have different d-side etchings. I hand-drew the illustrations for the etchings, based on photos from the rest of the packaging. I was thinking about possible hosting a giveaway online to giveaway one of these original drawings. Though the general attitude in this thread makes me think no one gives a shit about the art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I can take for now. Time to try and be productive after having all winds taken outta my sails.

This is awesome that you came here to address the bitching. As a fellow artist, I would also find it impossible not to address people crapping on my work, though I would probably be a bit more crude and post a pic of a middle finger. You are an artist. Fuck what other people think!

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn, this shit is getting a bit ugly.  

I think everyone is entitled to their opinions here, so although some of it is harsh, Charlie's a tough guy and handled that shit with class.  Kudos to him!  I know Brian is buddies with him, so kudos to him for trying to back up his dude.  However, seems a bit out of place to blast the guys who have an issue about the art.  This is a forum discussing the vinyl release of this album, and the art is a huge part of that.  All of these guys are getting paid no matter what, especially from guys like me trying to bend over backwards to get every copy of it.  I personally end up playing every copy of the albums I buy, so mine just won't sit on the shelf.  Although having a complete collection like I do means a lot of it will be sitting a lot of the time.

In saying all of that, I never had a huge issue with the art here.  It's not my favorite, but I am cool with it.  The details from Charlie makes it sound even more badass and now I'm more excited about it, though.

However, the biggest reveal is that now I have to track down a Euro copy of the black lol.  DAMMIT.

Anyways, Charlie, I'll take one of those drawings :)

In a continued effort to have the best "looking" record collections, you guys have simultaneously insulted both the band and the graphic designer behind the album. How much of your internet posturing and art critiquing is gonna matter when your 4 copies are sitting on your shelf, not being played, not even being looked at, while you're back on here in a few more months getting up in arms over some other release. Priorities, guys.

The new song sounds rad.

It's pretty rude of these people to have opinions on art. This is the first time an artist has ever seen negative things said about their work.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have guessed the cover was a piece you created, Charlie. While I'm not crazy about it I do indeed have a lot of respect and admiration for basically every other piece of art you've designed, and I wouldn't say I'm alone on that front. I think this thread would run a lot smoother if everyone was a little less blunt with their distaste for the cover, but it's the internet and we're all extra-dispositioned over the price as is. Don't let my comment (or anyone else's comments) vacuum all the wind out of your sails. It's one solitary piece that I personally don't "get" from an aesthetic point – I'm sure it ties in contextually, like you described. I do feel as though no one is in the wrong for voicing a negative opinion, but I'm sorry to see it wear down on your morale so badly.

:grouphug: for Charlie W.; heck we even traded records for art last Christmas (daughter loves that Being As An Ocean Tour poster btw)

and my wife likes the Kingfisher)

Getting this back off topic, ahem ;)

Well said, Don. I still think Toundra IV is badass though. :)

1st half, meh, 2nd half decent. Not worth one disc or shelf space, but I probably have others I would listen to less. Maybe.

My expectations ran high with the progressive, "album theme" approach, seeing as how their songwriting and mastery of their instruments progressed from I to II to III.  IV just didn't click, and I gave it at least a dozen listens, prior to it being released. (subjective). Glad you like it though, Matt!

Listened to Solstice several more times. It's solid. Kind of a sigh of relief. But hoping it's not the best track on the record.

Fuck all the complaining, I like the new song and the embossed cover sounds great.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, this isn't the 3rd reich, but seriously, do you all need to bitch and moan so much? You don't like the font? Boo-fuckin-hoo, cry me a river.

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of slack for this, but fuck it, I've made my bed.

As someone who gets a lot of enjoyment out of appealing typography, I see no problem in knee-jerk "lolwut" comments regarding the font choice on this one. Sue me. Would it singlehandedly prevent me from ordering? No. Don't be stupid. But like I mentioned yesterday, there are a lot of factors that are completely justify some skepticism.

haha, jesus christ. people will bitch about anything they can.

Bitching would be ordering the record, receiving it, and crying that the packaging or design isn't up to snuff. (See also: crocodile tears over mockups that vary from the product itself.) So far I've just seen a bunch of people voicing their opinion on design choices and pricing. I don't think it's all that ridiculous, but whatever.

If someone determines that the cover alone will prevent them from checking out the release or ordering – assuming they're otherwise cool with the price – I'll be among the first to point and laugh. But I genuinely don't think that's what's going on here.

Hi all,

Appreciate the kind responses. I really just wanted to come by and post my side of the story. Hopefully giving you a little more behind the packaging design would make everyone a little more excited for the record.

Last thing I wanted to mention: if you guys think that the members of the band do not read this forum, you're very incorrect. The guys in the band went out of their way to text me and tell me about the negative reactions that were being said. I've got pretty thick skin, and I honestly prefer constructive critique when it comes to my work. The main problem I had was the reactions I saw were... well... not constructive at all. IE: "that cover arts sucks." I see some of you in person, and interact with some of you online, and found your comments to be pretty hurtful. I'm all for the constructive criticism. Just don't be a dick.

And with that, I'm probably gonna go back to avoiding this board. I'll leave you all with a couple of screen grabs from my end. http://imgur.com/a/S43AG

The new song sounds rad.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your message, bro! Haven't been here for quite some time!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha, sorry, had to do this....

I don't think I follow you – it's the font designed for Deafheaven's Sunbather, back when I rocked a simple signature of the same color palette. I've just been too lazy to change the font itself... which I still think is way, way better than the font used on the cover of this ITTCT record, for what it's worth. But that's just me.