OUT NOW: If These Trees Could Talk - The Bones Of A Dying World 2xLP | Metal Blade

Okay, so I saw If These Trees Could Talk last night.  It was pretty good.  Could have definitely been better, due sound issues.  They had some gear troubles....  2 songs in, Corey's guitar rig broke down.  I have some video of them jamming while they sorted it out, which took a good bit of time.  I guess one of his patch cables was broken, and once they got into playing and moving it finally severed it's connection irreparably.  

My suggestion:  if you are going to see them, do not stand directly in the middle of the stage, because the rhythm guitar was SO much louder than everything else, it washed out all of Corey's speed-picked leads during the big climax parts.  Corey's guitar sound on stage is so low, you need to be in front of the speakers, or far enough back from the stage to get the fill from both sides of the PA.  His lead melodies during "Berlin" were a strain to hear; yet I wanted to be able to watch them play so I didn't move too much.  The drums could also have been mic'd better; they were also drowned out by the over-loud rhythm guitar during the heavy parts.  It could have just been the sound engineer and stage situation, but be cognizant of what it sounds like when they're setting up, because if you're in front of the rhythm guitarist's amp (he sets up stage middle, next to the bass player; I don't know his name.  Darker skinned dude) his amp will just blast you.  The only time this was a benefit was during "Malabar Front" because he's the one who plays that awesome lead melody riff with the wah pedal.  Also, THEY PLAYED MALABAR FRONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, during the quiet parts, the sound was BEAUTIFUL.  This dude's overdrive channel was just too loud.  But when everybody was on their clean channel, it was perfect and heavenly.  What a sound, that is.  They played very well too.  Corey is fun to watch because when he speed-picks all that stuff, it seems so effortless.... his wrist looks like hummingbird wings haha.  

So, the setlst:

Solstice

What's In The Ground

Red Forest

Above The Earth/Below The Sky

Iron Glacier

The First Fire

Berlin

Malabar Front

Earth Crawler

Truthfully, I was very surprised and disappointed at the lack of "They Speak With Knives."  This even more so because of how sick the sound was during the quieter parts; the delay-pedal riff in that song's bridge would have been so absolutely perfect and glorious to hear.  The delay pedal parts of songs were totally on-point, everybody's rhythm was perfect and there really weren't any fuck-ups anywhere at all.  I was hoping also they would bring out "The Giving Tree" because that song is so fucking good, and would do much better than "Iron Glacier" IMO.  

That all said, MALABAR FRONT!!!!  Wowwwwwwww.  That song, easily, without question, was the highlight of the night.  So much energy.  That song is so fun to move with, live.  Shaking back and forth.... total ecstasy.  Earth Crawler also was very good.... and could have been better had Corey's guitar been louder to get more impact during his lead parts.  

Can't wait to see these guys again, though.  I talked to them briefly afterwards, and they basically said that for the colored US vinyl version....  it's "down the road."  They said Metal Blade really doesn't understand the vinyl market, and that they know people want it.  It seems to be out of their hands and they didn't want to say anything bad about their new label, but they were very aware of the outrage online during the pre-order phase.  So they know.  It looks unlikely at this point....  the desire is there, but my interpretation of the situation is that Metal Blade thinks it unnecessary, so it likely won't happen.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay, so I saw If These Trees Could Talk last night.  It was pretty good.  Could have definitely been better, due sound issues.  They had some gear troubles....  2 songs in, Cody's guitar rig broke down.  I have some video of them jamming while they sorted it out, which took a good bit of time.  I guess one of his patch cables was broken, and once they got into playing and moving it finally severed it's connection irreparably.  

My suggestion:  if you are going to see them, do not stand directly in the middle of the stage, because the rhythm guitar was SO much louder than everything else, it washed out all of Cody's speed-picked leads during the big climax parts.  Cody's guitar sound on stage is so low, you need to be in front of the speakers, or far enough back from the stage to get the fill from both sides of the PA.  His lead melodies during "Berlin" were a strain to hear; yet I wanted to be able to watch them play so I didn't move too much.  The drums could also have been mic'd better; they were also drowned out by the over-loud rhythm guitar during the heavy parts.  It could have just been the sound engineer and stage situation, but be cognizant of what it sounds like when they're setting up, because if you're in front of the rhythm guitarist's amp (MIKE) his amp will just blast you.  The only time this was a benefit was during "Malabar Front" because he's the one who plays that awesome lead melody riff with the wah pedal.  Also, THEY PLAYED MALABAR FRONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, during the quiet parts, the sound was BEAUTIFUL.  This dude's overdrive channel was just too loud.  But when everybody was on their clean channel, it was perfect and heavenly.  What a sound, that is.  They played very well too.  Cody is fun to watch because when he speed-picks all that stuff, it seems so effortless.... his wrist looks like hummingbird wings haha.  

So, the setlst:

Solstice

What's In The Ground

Red Forest

Above The Earth/Below The Sky

Iron Glacier

The First Fire

Berlin

Malabar Front

Earth Crawler

Truthfully, I was very surprised and disappointed at the lack of "They Speak With Knives."  This even more so because of how sick the sound was during the quieter parts; the delay-pedal riff in that song's bridge would have been so absolutely perfect and glorious to hear.  The delay pedal parts of songs were totally on-point, everybody's rhythm was perfect and there really weren't any fuck-ups anywhere at all.  I was hoping also they would bring out "The Giving Tree" because that song is so fucking good, and would do much better than "Iron Glacier" IMO.  

That all said, MALABAR FRONT!!!!  Wowwwwwwww.  That song, easily, without question, was the highlight of the night.  So much energy.  That song is so fun to move with, live.  Shaking back and forth.... total ecstasy.  Earth Crawler also was very good.... and could have been better had Cody's guitar been louder to get more impact during his lead parts.  

Can't wait to see these guys again, though.  I talked to them briefly afterwards, and they basically said that for the colored US vinyl version....  it's "down the road."  They said Metal Blade really doesn't understand the vinyl market, and that they know people want it.  It seems to be out of their hands and they didn't want to say anything bad about their new label, but they were very aware of the outrage online during the pre-order phase.  So they know.  It looks unlikely at this point....  the desire is there, but my interpretation of the situation is that Metal Blade thinks it unnecessary, so it likely won't happen.  

FIXED

Edited by mrewest

16 hours ago, mrewest said:

FIXED

Haaaaa.... wow.  that's totally what I meant to type, jesus.  I have a step-brother named Corey.... it must have been subconscious habit-typing.  I know I do that sometimes in general, think one thing and type another.  But jeez, 3 times or whatever it was... wow.  

7 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Nah, needs more complaining and then more exclamation points.

I just want things to be perfect man!  But those quieter, clean sections...  mannnn, absolute bliss.  The sound just completely engulfs you.  

10 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Haaaaa.... wow.  that's totally what I meant to type, jesus.  I have a step-brother named Corey.... it must have been subconscious habit-typing.  I know I do that sometimes in general, think one thing and type another.  But jeez, 3 times or whatever it was... wow.  

I just want things to be perfect man!  But those quieter, clean sections...  mannnn, absolute bliss.  The sound just completely engulfs you.  

You know with smaller bands the odds of things going wrong are a little higher. They're playing smaller venues that might have lower grade equipment who [the venue] might not have the money to repair at the rate it demands, they [the band] themselves don't necessarily have the money to buy higher grade equipment, they don't have roadies or techs, they have to maintain their own gear, etc. etc. Things are going to go wrong either with their equipment, or the venue's. I think it makes the band more entertaining, accessible, respectable when they overcome the hurdles that happen during a show. I've been to thousands of shows (actually), and larger bands that play flawlessly in a stadium sometimes aren't as enjoyable as the smaller ones who have their bumps. I don't understand your obsession with wanting a show to be absolutely perfect, and flawless. Flawless to me is having a good time, whether they have to re-tune, put on a new string, replace a cord, whatever it may be. I just don't see how you go to a show expecting equipment to never break down, or humans to never make a mistake. Maybe that's what happens at Phish shows with 50 minute solos... I don't know.

Have you ever gone to a show, had a good time, and not gone home to write a critique about ever minor thing that went wrong? Maybe you'd enjoy it even more if you just relaxed, listened, and then went how with a smile on your face.

Ugh. Haha.

Smaller shows with chance of mistakes, and more personality > flawless show at any venue. Just my opinion.

Edited by Dave Grohl

26 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

You know with smaller bands the odds of things going wrong are a little higher. They're playing smaller venues that might have lower grade equipment who [the venue] might not have the money to repair at the rate it demands, they [the band] themselves don't necessarily have the money to buy higher grade equipment, they don't have roadies or techs, they have to maintain their own gear, etc. etc. Things are going to go wrong either with their equipment, or the venue's. I think it makes the band more entertaining, accessible, respectable when they overcome the hurdles that happen during a show. I've been to thousands of shows (actually), and larger bands that play flawlessly in a stadium sometimes aren't as enjoyable as the smaller ones who have their bumps. I don't understand your obsession with wanting a show to be absolutely perfect, and flawless. Flawless to me is having a good time, whether they have to re-tune, put on a new string, replace a cord, whatever it may be. I just don't see how you go to a show expecting equipment to never break down, or humans to never make a mistake. Maybe that's what happens at Phish shows with 50 minute solos... I don't know.

Have you ever gone to a show, had a good time, and not gone home to write a critique about ever minor thing that went wrong? Maybe you'd enjoy it even more if you just relaxed, listened, and then went how with a smile on your face.

Ugh. Haha.

Smaller shows with chance of mistakes, and more personality > flawless show at any venue. Just my opinion.

Oh I enjoyed the show for sure!  But I always just kind of outline the exact details of the event, I guess?  I don't know.  I just wish Cody's guitar were louder, he was drowned out.  It's just a fact.  I really wanted to just hop on stage and turn Mike's amp down juuuuust a touch haha, because that would've solved everything!  

I just review things critically.... and give a full account of my headspace, is all.  Don't mistake my words for faulting things and being a grump!  Not the case attttt alllllllll.  

and now to head to Maryland for a wedding and blast the CD of Bones!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This is on sale at Metal Blade for $24.99

There's also a promo code that'll knock off another $5, bringing it down to a much more reasonable $19.99. I figured this would have dropped further in price by now, but that's the best I could find.  Promo code:

JASTA17

Edited by batman

12 hours ago, batman said:

This is on sale at Metal Blade for $24.99

There's also a promo code that'll knock off another $5, bringing it down to a much more reasonable $19.99. I figured this would have dropped further in price by now, but that's the best I could find.  Promo code:

Hide contents

JASTA17

Nice work man!

Metal Blade really missed out on a chance to build these guys up for themselves by just doing the black vinyl and no other variants.  People would have flipped.  I wonder what this will mean for future albums from them, if they can't even sell out of their single pressing.  Granted, it was a very poor business decision to offer black at such a high price. 

5 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Nice work man!

Metal Blade really missed out on a chance to build these guys up for themselves by just doing the black vinyl and no other variants.  People would have flipped.  I wonder what this will mean for future albums from them, if they can't even sell out of their single pressing.  Granted, it was a very poor business decision to offer black at such a high price. 

The thing that sucks is, I felt this was a really strong release by them. I STILL listen to this often. And they were great when I saw them play it live. Def a missed opportunity I feel. 

56 minutes ago, SunsetDramaKing17 said:

The thing that sucks is, I felt this was a really strong release by them. I STILL listen to this often. And they were great when I saw them play it live. Def a missed opportunity I feel. 

Oh, I absolutely agree with you.  I think this *might* be my favorite record of theirs.  It's what I go back and listen to most often, because it's pretty much flawless from front to back.  The Giving Tree is one of my favorite songs of all time now, and the whole back half flows so perfectly.  I almost hold this album in "Tertia" territory as far as flow goes.  It's just so great. 

In fact, I'm going to spin it right now while I work on some school stuff!

38 minutes ago, ethereal said:

you seriously sound like a broken record, going out of your way to dickride black vinyl all the time must get tiring 

You misunderstand me; this is about the market itself and other people.  I've come to prefer black vinyl now, because I'd rather have the album sound great than look cool and have audio flaws.  Certainly early on I always preferred a cool-looking variant, but now, after experiencing the difference.... I'd much rather have a quiet 180g black than anything else.  It's certainly an interesting change in perspective.  Because on the one hand, you have the artwork aspect of a cool variant.  But on the other, you have the audio quality issue. 

My point was that had Metal Blade made a colored US variant, it likely would have sold out instantly.  Instead, they are sitting on a pile of records.

Please take your passive-aggressive hostility elsewhere, man.  There's no need for it. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

I shamelessly paid full price for this album when it came out and agree with the others that say how good it is.  Especially the shout out to The Giving Tree, love that song.  I personally don't think there's a weak song on any of the albums these guys have put out.

I just hope they A) actually play DunkUSA and B ) finally play this song live.  The Giving Tree is probably my favorite song of theirs, with They Speak With Knives slightly behind it. 

This album is seriously so good though.  So good.  I don't get how people don't like it haha

Goddammit this is their worst album by far.  I don't understand how people think this album touches anything they've done prior to this.  The flow of the album is terrible, Berlin ends way before it should & is a horrible song to transition into the closer.  The drums sound like absolute ass on this album which has always been my favorite part of the band on previous albums.  Every once in a while I revisit hoping it'll click but I just end up mad by album's end.  

Being an ITTCT completist, I'm thrilled they didn't press a million colors.  It was enough of a pain in the ass to track down the two marble greys (which are hardly different).  Not to mention having to order the Euro black simply for the different D-side etching.  

Anyways, there are some parts of the album I genuinely enjoy (Swallowing Teeth & Iron Glacier because they actually sound like progression for the band), but overall Bones doesn't touch the first 3. 

Edited by mrewest