Rotel RP 900, and Glass Platters?

So I'm wondering if a Rotel RP 900 is any good, from what I've read it seems like it's more or less a rebadge of a Rega Planar 2 but not 100%. And as an extension of that are glass platters decent? because that's what it has.

There's two RP900's, the original one which is normal 70's Rotel and the more modern which yes is basically a re badged Rega although most had MDF platters but I have seen some with glass platters.

If it's got a glass plater on then yes a glass platter is fine, much better than MDF but acrylic is preferable.

Being Rega based though the sky's the limit upgrade wise and you can change and upgrade every single part of that deck so if the price is right it's worth a go

There's two RP900's, the original one which is normal 70's Rotel and the more modern which yes is basically a re badged Rega although most had MDF platters but I have seen some with glass platters.

If it's got a glass plater on then yes a glass platter is fine, much better than MDF but acrylic is preferable.

Being Rega based though the sky's the limit upgrade wise and you can change and upgrade every single part of that deck so if the price is right it's worth a go

It's the later rebadged one that is not in a wooden box. And also it's $120 which I think is pretty reasonable so I refereed it to a cousin who is on the search for a Turntable (I've been helping explain all the aspects of putting together a setup). But if they don't want it I might pick it up since I'm still piggy-backing off my dad's TT and I've been planning on getting my own (it's that or get my Receiver serviced) 

• 1 year later...

i was researching the rotel rp900; fyi, the only interchangeable part w/any of the rega's is the tonearm; this is NOT a rega rebadge, but a completely different deck - just a lot like the regas.

it is, however, supposed to be like the systemdek i/920, and if there's upgrades for that, they should work w/the rotel.

hth,

doug s.

On 31/01/2018 at 6:04 PM, doug s. said:

i was researching the rotel rp900; fyi, the only interchangeable part w/any of the rega's is the tonearm; this is NOT a rega rebadge, but a completely different deck - just a lot like the regas.

it is, however, supposed to be like the systemdek i/920, and if there's upgrades for that, they should work w/the rotel.

hth,

doug s.

Yes the Rotel is basically a Rega kit deck re badged Systemdek i and both use Rega parts like the sub platter so you should be able to use a platter designed for a Rega to go on it but check with the maker of the new platter what diameter the centre hole is. As far as I know the only non Rega parts are the plinth and platter on both the Rega and Systemdek

I wouldn't bother with glass though if you are going to replace it go Delrin or Acrylic and a thick as you can.

Edited by allenh
edit

2 hours ago, allenh said:

Yes the Rotel is basically a Rega kit deck re badged Systemdek i and both use Rega parts like the sub platter so you should be able to use a platter designed for a Rega to go on it but check with the maker of the new platter what diameter the centre hole is. As far as I know the only non Rega parts are the plinth and platter on both the Rega and Systemdek

I wouldn't bother with glass though if you are going to replace it go Delrin or Acrylic and a thick as you can.

i don't have first hand experience with the rotel/systemdek, but i read elsewhere that the rega sub-platter and platters will not fit on them.

here's the post i saw previously, in a thread on the vinyl asylum:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46161#p360067

and a pic of the systemdek i920, (the one like the rotel) from that thread:

image.php?mode=medium&album_id=80&image_

rp900 w/systemdek(?) acrylic platter;

390376-rotel_rp900_parts_machine_turntab

and, if the parts are not interchangeable between the rega and the rotel, it does seem that you can easily swap out the bearing assembly to accept rega upgrades, as they are readily available, both stock and upgraded.  i stumbled across this site; it seems you can make these rega decks almost totally unrecognizable from stock:

http://lpturntables.blogspot.com/2011/09/list-of-upgrade-accessories.html

(stock rega subplatter/bearing assembly):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-RP1-Replacement-Bearing-Assembly/dp/B00INUXVC8

interestingly enough, it seems that rotel made two completely different turntables, both labeled "rp900"

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

doug s.

The Rotel is more likely to be Rega based than the Systemdek as yes good point they would have had parts like platters to use from the IIX range as suggested in that VA thread. That said I would be very surprised if even the Systemdek didn't use a modified Rega subplatter, everything about both the Rotel and Systemdek looks way too similar to be coincidental.

Bottom line measure the platters centre hole and compare it to those quoted for the Rega and Systemdeks and certainly over here anyone that makes acrylic platters will cut the centre hole to any size you want

And yes a quick search on ebay UK will show you the sheer depth and breadth of Rega upgrades available and yes I mentioned the two very different RP900's before, the original one being a true Rotel product.

• 5 years later...

I hope the OP didn't waste any money on Rega upgrades since the Rotel was a rebadged Systemdek. The Rega sub-platter upgrades will not fit the Rotel, repeat WILL NOT, although any Rega tonearm will drop right in. The 900 is a very nice turntable. I have the model discussed here and would love to have one of the earlier 900s, which are gorgeous.