Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

To follow up my previous point - everyone is allowed to have their opinion on the single. It could be your favorite song ever, sure.

But for a band that has given us 10/10 masterpieces like Kid A, OK Computer and In Rainbows... they set the bar very high for themselves, and I don't think this single achieves that level of immediate glory that the other albums provided. I just don't think it's worthy of dickriding. And as mentioned, BtW has a 13 year history and is easily the most anticipated song they've ever referenced in their massive career -- and for that, I am underwhelmed. 

lol, you are comparing classic albums that have only gotten better with time, to one single just released hours ago. Grow up, and quit whining about it. If you don't like it after all, that's perfectly fine. I think its a great song. Comparing it to Coldplay is like comparing Pink Floyd to nickelback. A pathetic attempt to bash them. I can see the "safe" criticism as it sounds like vintage Radiohead to me.

1 minute ago, untiliwakeup said:

lol, you are comparing classic albums that have only gotten better with time, to one single just released hours ago. Grow up, and quit whining about it. If you don't like it after all, that's perfectly fine. I think its a great song. Comparing it to Coldplay is like comparing Pink Floyd to nickelback. A pathetic attempt to bash them. I can see the "safe" criticism as it sounds like vintage Radiohead to me.

If you think I'm whining in any capacity you need to work on your reading comprehension. I've stated in every post that I like the song. 

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

If you think I'm whining in any capacity you need to work on your reading comprehension. I've stated in every post that I like the song. 

lets not get into the insult game. All I'm saying is kid a, in rainbows, ok computer... All those albums are masterpieces that have so many layers that take time to really appreciate. I think you're being unfair to come to such a judgement so soon.

2 minutes ago, untiliwakeup said:

lets not get into the insult game. All I'm saying is kid a, in rainbows, ok computer... All those albums are masterpieces that have so many layers that take time to really appreciate. I think you're being unfair to come to such a judgement so soon.

It's not a judgement, it's just an observation. I've been wow'd on first listen by many other Radiohead singles, this one was just "good". I was hoping for "great", especially since I'm doubting a lot of the people in this topic know the history behind Burn the Witch. 

I love that kess keeps insisting he knows so much more about radiohead than we do, and thats why we like the new song. Hilarious.

You expected more because BTW is ten years old... what about Nude on In Rainbows? That 11 year old track is probably the chillest most subdued most forgettable track on that whole album.

58 minutes ago, cannonfunk said:

Punk music is safe. Pop-punk is safe. Emo is safe. 

Instrumentally, this song is experimental AF, and hugely inspired by the avant garde work of Steve Reich. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but calling it "safe" says more about you than you know. 

You applying absolute truth to an objective word like 'Safe' says the exact right amount about you.

It's just frustrating that anyone who expresses anything less than a stellar opinion in this thread is attacked by everyone.

I also thought it sounded a bit like Viva La Vida when I first heard it. Because they're fucking similar. If you deny that, you're lying to yourself.

I'll dickride Radiohead all day when they deserve to be. This song doesn't deserve it, yet. 

Im not frustrated that you dont like that track, im frustrated that you keep trying to convince us the track is bad. You know, because we dont understand the history, since we arent true radiohead fans.

Doesnt matter, i like the track, still hype as fuck for the record.

3 minutes ago, cantdance said:

yes, you've been super condescending to everyone who has expressed a very positive opinion in this thread (hint:they're all Radiohead fans) for not appreciating the history of the track. Which is completely ridiculous.

If my opinion came off as condescending, I apologize. I've just been waiting for Burn the Witch for like, a decade. It's one of the cooler things in music history, in my opinion, and something I've been casually following for a large portion of my life. I'm not insinuating that I'm better than anyone for knowing the history, but I feel like anyone who does know the history and hears this single would be at least minority disappointed.

4 minutes ago, rooks said:

That's fine, all reactions to music are valid. You did go from "Radiohead are the kings of letting music grow on you" to "this track is safe and a disappointment to true fans"very quickly.  It's only been a few hours. Let's hear it in context and give it some room to breathe.

Oh of course. Agreed. I plan to. I was just in here to play devil's advocate because no one was saying anything remotely negative and I didn't think it was a perfect track. Wanted to get a conversation going (ideally about the history of the song) more than an argument but on VC that can be near impossible. 

1. Looking forward to a song for 10+ years is your first mistake. You were bound to be let down

2. The Reich pulse theme is definitely apparent in the track and I'm a big fan of music for 18 musicians. If you know anything about the concept behind that arrangement you're not going to expect any drastic twists or turns, just subtle nuances on a straight forward composition driving on rhythmic pulses and variation. 

3. Hyped as fuck

4. Some die hard Radiohead fans are salty