Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

2 hours ago, dbarila said:

The only thing I would caution on Discogs or Ebay is that if you're looking for a particular version of the white, you may want to contact the seller to make sure they have the correct copy.  I'm sure there's people who don't realize there are 2 different version of the white.  

So, after going back and reading most of the thread (again), I still can't really get a good grasp on which version everyone thinks is superior- the non-rainbo one?

Edited by Waters

21 minutes ago, Waters said:

So, after going back and reading most of the thread (again), I still can't really get a good grasp on which version everyone thinks is superior- the non-rainbo one?

From what I've read, I would agree with the following:

17 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

From reading some Reddit threads, it seems like both pressings have their issues.  But it also appears that some people have no issues with either pressing.  May just be a luck thing

6 hours ago, vanishinghouse said:

Would anybody be kind enough to help me track down a white copy? My girlfriend really is liking the new album as well and I dropped the ball on finding one online and would like to get her a copy for her bday. If you have any leads just PM please. 

I have one that I bought in a store that I bought as a back up. PM me if you are still looking. I paid $32.99+tax it is the Rainbo Ed on white and its sealed.

Edited by j67ab

I got the Rainbo pressing from Melody Supreme in the mail today, and this is honestly probably one of the worst sounding records I've bought in awhile. I put it through the spin clean and it still sounds pretty bad. Excessive surface noise on side A, popping throughout the entirety of side B. I haven't gotten to C and D yet. Love the music, but my copy sounds awful.

23 minutes ago, tagruato said:

I got the Rainbo pressing from Melody Supreme in the mail today, and this is honestly probably one of the worst sounding records I've bought in awhile. I put it through the spin clean and it still sounds pretty bad. Excessive surface noise on side A, popping throughout the entirety of side B. I haven't gotten to C and D yet. Love the music, but my copy sounds awful.

those spin cleans can make it worse if the issue was dust from the manufacturing process. 

my german copy from jpc just came in and it's the non-rainbo pressing with all-capitalized words in the runouts and the sleeves are the printed paper version.

sounds great with minimal surface noise.

I also grabbed a copy from DW in case this one ended up sucking so I'll report back with that one when it arrives as well.

Edited by antisyntax

58 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I got the Rainbo pressing from Amoeba today.  I'll report back on the quality when I get around to listening

I too received my Amoeba rainbow copy today.  Fingers crossed and, viola, a very fine pressing of this record. The white Rainbo copy I bought at my local Birmingham store sounded like shit (and no, I didn't clean either copy before playing them). 

Cant tell you how relieved I am to have this amazing album on some good wax!!!!

Edited by unravelled

15 minutes ago, unravelled said:

I too received my Amoeba rainbow copy today.  Fingers crossed and, viola, a very fine pressing of this record. The white Rainbo copy I bought at my local Birmingham store sounded like shit (and no, I didn't clean either copy before playing them). 

Cant tell you how relieved I am to have this amazing album on some good wax!!!!

I'm just hoping it won't sound like complete shit.  I've got the Deluxe Edition coming soon at some point which will hopefully be great quality so as long as this one isn't too bad...

3 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I'm just hoping it won't sound like complete shit.  I've got the Deluxe Edition coming soon at some point which will hopefully be great quality so as long as this one isn't too bad...

I know what you mean. My first copy sounded like popcorn but my amoeba copy sounded really good, a major improvement. 

I also have the deluxe on order but I'll really enjoy AMSP, played properly on my setup now!!!

Is there any recourse for those of us with noisy pressings? I suppose if there's enough of a stink generated globally, there's a chance. But I'm not holding my breath. 

I got mine from an eBay seller but even if I'd bought it locally, I probably wouldn't try to return/exchange it at the shop as it's not their fault.

I finally dared to put my copy on the turntable. I've been hesitant with all of the complaints about pressing noise. Mine sounds great. Not hearing any distortion or noticeable noise of any kind. Mine is with the 790 barcode, no x at the end. Side A has "BAZZA ALCHEMY" etching. Side B does not have any words after the numbers(I've looked at it in all kinds of light and angles). Side C has "STERLIZED" and side D has "NEUTRALIZED", both very lightly etched.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Side A has "BAZZA ALCHEMY" etching. Side B does not have any words after the numbers(I've looked at it in all kinds of light and angles). Side C has "STERLIZED" and side D has "NEUTRALIZED", both very lightly etched.

Same with mine, which doesn't match with any of the versions on Discogs. But mine is noisy on sides A and D.

There just doesn't seem to be much consistency with what version sounds good and what doesn't.

I ordered one from Piccadilly in the UK because i was uncertain i would be able to get one at my local shop. Then i heard about some being labelled white but actually weren't white, so when i saw my local rec'd some i bought one 'just in case' the one i rec'd from Piccadilly was labelled incorrectly. I have rec'd the Piccadilly order but would like to sell it now as i don't need it.

How can i tell if it is the rainbo press or the optimal press?

Some have said that the rainbo press has a barcode sticker on the shrink, but so does the optimal press, i know this because the one i opened had the barcode sticker and it is an optimal press.

I just want to list the right pressing when i try to sell.

For anyone looking for a copy of the white vinyl, I might be able to help you.

So I bought 3 (giving 1 to a friend, keeping 1 for myself and this is the third) copies of the record and each copy has static noise at the same parts.  Mostly it's the first songs on side b-to d.  They're noticeable but I'm thinking maybe with cleaning it might get rid of those sounds? Who knows? I don't have anything to clean records with atm.  There are some crease bends on the side of the vinyl sleeve but that's really about it.

I'm selling it for what I paid for plus shipping plus pay pal percentage fees so that's about 43$.  If you're interested send me a pm.  

Edited by idioteque...