PO: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, More, A Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma

On 06.05.2016 at 8:44 PM, throughbeingcruel said:

WYWH comes in a black bag... And The Wall is a $50 double LP. I'm not the only one who thinks that shits stupid. There are like 20 copies of each at my local, because no one is buying them.

WYWH...With poster, postcard, additional inner sleeve, digital download and not to mention cool plastic sleeve and superb sounding record. And all of the above made in best quality possible for $34(seems reasonable for "deluxe" edition)

And The Wall... maybe they have to buy rights from waters to press in under Pink Floyd I dont know. I've bot it for like $50+ hope, that it was worth.

Excellent! Been hoping to get a copy of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn lately. I've gotten good copies of More, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, and Animals recently and my g/f has Wish You Were Here and The Dark Side of the Moon (I think). I don't love A Saucerful of Secrets but I may have to get it anyway, it could still grow on me and perhaps especially on vinyl. I also may need to replace my copy of Obscured by Clouds because it's a transparent red bootleg I bought without realizing it was a boot and it doesn't sound great.

YAY!

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone on the fence. There have been several knowledgeable reviews on these (Fremer etc).

They are said to very good sonically. The only thing that has been said (a few times) to be better are the original UKs. If you have "A Nice Pair" US edition, it is piss poor in comparison to these Piper and Saucer releases.

Also, people have had complaints about dishing/warped records from the US press. The UK (done at Optimal) has been pretty much flawless. It was also cheaper to order from UK.

PF will be releasing EVERY studio album. These are all done by Bernie Grundman, so you KNOW they are bound to sound fantastic, even if you had any doubts to begin with.

Can't stop laughing at the black bag comment for the WYWH. Obviously just clueless.

Edited by vinyl addict

28 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Can't stop laughing at the black bag comment for the WYWH. Obviously just clueless.

Oh fuck off, grandpa. I'm not clueless because I think the packaging isn't worth $40, dipshit. Just go back to Newbury and buy some overpriced variants like you're always bragging about. Don't they love old 90s stoner jams there? Thought so. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

2 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Oh fuck off, grandpa. I'm not clueless because I think the packaging isn't worth $40, dipshit. Just go back to Newbury and buy some overpriced variants like you're always bragging about. Don't they love old 90s stoner jams there? Thought so. 

I have no clue what you are referring to. You realize you sound like a big baby pouting right?  You're one of those people who will pick on others all day long, but when the table is turned you blow up and get all defensive. It's just the internet fella

No, you're not clueless because you think the packaging isn't worth $40. You're clueless for thinking you are paying $40 for an LP in a black plastic bag. You're also clueless if you paid $40 for it.

But if you complain about a black bag on WYWH, then you obviously have no idea what you are even talking bout, nor do you even belong in this thread if you have nothing knowledgeable to contribute.

I'm 37 years old, how am I "Grandpa". You just continue to make yourself look like a fool.

I'm done talking to you now, you can go back to your "skateboarding and Cannabis" interests.

Can we get back to the PF topic in the title.

Edited by vinyl addict
Stupid spell check

Really glad these are getting repressed.  I have almost all of their albums except for Final Cut (meh) and Division Bell and multiple copies of some albums.  Of course all of them were bought about 15 years ago and I've listened to them hundreds of times.  I usually paid about $5-7 per album which seems pretty crazy now.

I'm really hoping for a studio album vinyl box.  That would be absolutely epic and knowing Pink Floyd it would probably be really well done, although expensive.  A proper Pompeii vinyl release as mentioned earlier would be really awesome too.  Might have to just get a boot.

I checked these out in person over the weekend. I don't love the fake outer sleeve fold-over on the back of Piper at the Gates of Dawn (maybe others as well, but that's the only one I looked at). Kinda gives it a bootleg feel. Anyway I think I'm going to try getting an OG copy of it and the others I still need instead of these represses. That is until I run out of patience.

5 minutes ago, jeromium said:

I checked these out in person over the weekend. I don't love the fake outer sleeve fold-over on the back of Piper at the Gates of Dawn (maybe others as well, but that's the only one I looked at). Kinda gives it a bootleg feel. Anyway I think I'm going to try getting an OG copy of it and the others I still need instead of these represses. That is until I run out of patience.

The only copies that compare to these new Grundmans are said to be the original UKs. I've been searching for reasonably priced copies for a few years.  I settled for UK copies of this new press. No regrets.:)

I DO agree about the faux flipback jackets though, but I can live with it for the price and quality! Optimal did a hell of a job with the UK copies. I bought Piper and Saucer.

Bought the 2 US pressings I needed to replace; Saucerful & More. As others have mentioned, the packaging is really disappointing but both LPs sound fantastic so I'm set. 

All my other originals or represses are in good enough shape that I won't need to get anymore. I really hope the live albums get repressed eventually or for the first time in the case of Is There Anybody Out There. I have good copies of DSoT and Pulse, but many friends don't and would LOVE represses. I would love for ITAOT to finally see a vinyl pressing as well, so here's hoping that's part of next years plan or something. 

I'd love to see a repress of Pulse mastered by Bernie Grundman.

I'll be buying many of these represses as they sound far better than most of the original US presses I own (I have PFs entire studio catalog)

Im anxiously awaiting Meddle, Animals, Atom Heart Mother, DSotM, WYWH and 1 or 2 others.

It's a great opportunity to grab them at a reasonable price, and they sound incredible by Bernie!

I paid $40 shipped for my UK copies from Amazon. The prices can't be beat for UK quality from Optimal!

14 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Optimal did a hell of a job with the UK copies.

4 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

It's a great opportunity to grab them at a reasonable price, and they sound incredible by Bernie!

I paid $40 shipped for my UK copies from Amazon. The prices can't be beat for UK quality from Optimal!

Wait, is there a difference between the new UK and US remasters?

7 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I'd love to see a repress of Pulse mastered by Bernie Grundman.

This.  Did the vinyl release have the red blinking light?  I remember my brother having and playing the CD when I was about eight, probably one of the reasons I love the Floyd so much.  Pretty sure that thing is still blinking to this day.