PO: Pearl Jam reissues

10 hours ago, Barberbro said:

I'm keeping my OG Yield. One of the best sounding records I own... 

You need to own more records. I had the OG Yield... Nothing special. The OPs of Ten and Vitalogy are much better... Plus there's a ton of reissues and originals from other bands that kill it for SQ as well. 1997 wasn't a great time for new vinyl.

16 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

You need to own more records. I had the OG Yield... Nothing special. The OPs of Ten and Vitalogy are much better... Plus there's a ton of reissues and originals from other bands that kill it for SQ as well. 1997 wasn't a great time for new vinyl.

Maybe I'm being impartial to an album that I love. Or maybe it's the fact that I picked up my copy of yield for less than $50 many moons ago.  But I think you're right. Not about owning more records, because I have more than enough. Coming to think of it, there are way better sounding records than this.... 

Another impossibly vague vinyl announcement by a major artist. Pearl Jam care more about offering vinyl than the execution of it.

What's the source material? Where is it being pressed? Is this the first time No Code is being specifically mastered for vinyl in which case the original is the CD cut to vinyl, or is this the first time No Code is being specifically mastered for vinyl by Bob Ludwig? Again, impossibly vague.

How do they reissue Ten and not realize that 28 minutes for SIDE A is far too long? Vs. was WB@NRP and that was pressed at URP, pretty soundly panned.

There hasn't been a single title in the Pearl Jam vinyl reissue series that has mentioned the source material, not once.

How does Pearl Jam, the band who released Vitalogy in 1995 with a two week exclusive vinyl window get vinyl so wrong while Dave Matthews Band, who didn't even do a single widescale vinyl release until 2009, are doing vinyl so right (Crash has been cut all analogue from the original stereo master tape by Chris Bellman @ Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at MPO)

Hopefully in a few years a specialty label like MFSL, Analogue Productions, ORG Music, Audio Fidelity, etc., may license these for AAA vinyl and analogue > DSD SACD Hybrid releases. AF licensed the 1/2" 30ips analogue master tapes for RATM's debut for a direct to DSD Hybrid SACD release coming out June 17th, mastered by Steve Hoffman, and so there is a whimper of hope that these incredible Pearl Jam albums, coming under the same label umbrella, may some day get the treatment they deserve.

If anyone wants to retire their original pressings, I'll buy them off you for the cost of the new pressings. :)

1 minute ago, kannibal said:

Yeah, it's a bit nerdy, but if one is not going to do it right, why do it at all?

How many records are released with all that fuckin' info included? I don't know or really give that big of a shit where most of my records were pressed. And it doesn't seem to matter much unless your boner depends on a Chris Bellman cut. 

16 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

How many records are released with all that fuckin' info included? I don't know or really give that big of a shit where most of my records were pressed. And it doesn't seem to matter much unless your boner depends on a Chris Bellman cut. 

Thousands upon thousands, but if you prefer spending your money on CDs cut to vinyl, I fully support your right to do that...yay capitalism!

Your last sentence, does that even make sense?

17 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

That's cool, but not everyone here feels the same way as you. Records are expensive compared to digital, and can have lots of problems inherent to the format. And while vinyl is my preferred way to listen and interact with my music, I'm not like some here who feel they need to listen to or own the vinyl format regardless of source, integrity, or quality of the release. 

To be fair Doby, weren't you complaining about DMB doing it poorly before Crash? You went off on the UTTD pressing. its nice that they course corrected though. 

I mean, yes, for a band that supposedly cares about vinyl, PJ could do things better ( though I'd argue that they have always cared more about vinyl for the aesthetic pleasures than the aural pleasures and that it was more of a nostalgic love because of the 90s and in subsequent decades, they started to care less about it today).