PO: Switchfoot - Where The Light Shines Through - July 8

I'm really excited for this record. To me, Switchfoot has always been one of those bands that consistently releases quality music over the years. With that being said, ironically, I'm not too impressed with the two tracks released from the new LP; Float sounds oddly like a Prince tribute track.. and Live It Well sounds like the quintessential Switchfoot track that they seem to write for every record. As much as it sounds like I'm bashing these songs, I'm not. I was just hoping for more of a powerful two songs from the forthcoming record. But maybe they released these two tracks to show how diverse the record is going to be?

On 5/13/2016 at 5:02 PM, charlestonmusic said:

I'm really excited for this record. To me, Switchfoot has always been one of those bands that consistently releases quality music over the years. With that being said, ironically, I'm not too impressed with the two tracks released from the new LP; Float sounds oddly like a Prince tribute track.. and Live It Well sounds like the quintessential Switchfoot track that they seem to write for every record. As much as it sounds like I'm bashing these songs, I'm not. I was just hoping for more of a powerful two songs from the forthcoming record. But maybe they released these two tracks to show how diverse the record is going to be?

Float reminds me of something they'd do for O!G or maybe VV, which I like a lot. The 7/4 time signature really helps it groove along.

Live It Well is exactly what you said, classic Switchfoot down to the "yeah" at the beginning and the large chorus. I will say, even with all its "heard that before" style, I like the lyrics/rhymes way better than on Fading West. A ton of the lyrics were easy rhymes in my opinion and weren't complex enough to me
Any easy example of this is the first song off FW: it sounds too easy (for me)
I’m trying to find where my place is
I’m looking for my own oasis
so close I can taste this
the fear that love alone erases
so I’m back to the basics
I figure it’s time I face this

Something a little different in Hello Hurricane where some words are slant rhymes and creates a more complex sentence:
Everything I have I count as loss
Everything I have is stripped away
Before I started building
I counted up these costs
There’s nothing left for you to take away

On the other hand, Live It Well, it's part of a longer idea and he pairs "door" with "funeral" and "song/wrong" with "dawn"
I wanna sing with all my heart a lifelong song
Even if some notes come out right and some come out wrong
Cause I can't take none of that through the door
Yeah, I'm living for more than just a funeral
I wanna burn brighter than the dawn

TL;DR: I love all their music and I'm happy with the new songs. I'm glad they sound more thought out. Looking forward to more

4 hours ago, combatchuckaa said:

The vinyl version without ink scribbles all over it is down to $23.99 w/Prime on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Light-Shines-Through-LP/dp/B01FFU7TPS/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1464109141&sr=1

Now that's a reasonable price.  

Thanks

2 hours ago, combatchuckaa said:

Ya that's what I meant.  The price isn't bad at all but the shipping is super lame.  

True, I was just pointing out that the store didn't gouge for their signatures, it was the insane shipping that got you. I think it was $16 shipping for 1 copy and $22 shipping for 2 copies. So my brother and I combined our orders so it was like we got the record for $36 each.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but to me, every track released so far has been extremely

underwhelming.. which is really

upsetting. I love this band and their

releases have always been an instant love. But this one, it's going to take some time.

Edited by charlestonmusic

9 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

Has anyone that has ordered this seen a shipping notice? I saw a signed copy on eBay and it makes me wonder if the Switchfoot store will ship soon.

Earlier this week people who ordered direct were posting pictures at Jesusfreakhideout of their signed copies, so I would assume the copies ordered direct shipped last week.

1 minute ago, jeremyjacobsnerd said:

Earlier this week people who ordered direct were posting pictures at Jesusfreakhideout of their signed copies, so I would assume the copies ordered direct shipped last week.

Cool, I saw the pictures of the copy on eBay and the package design looks nice. Double lyric/photo inner sleeves and gatefold jacket with more photos and credits. 

4 hours ago, jeremyjacobsnerd said:

I ordered direct and haven't received mine yet. Haven't even received a shipping confirmation actually. They had said these should be received by release date, so starting to wonder if I should be worried.

4 hours ago, tagruato said:

I ordered direct and haven't received mine yet. Haven't even received a shipping confirmation actually. They had said these should be received by release date, so starting to wonder if I should be worried.

Whenever I've ordered from their store (for whatever reason), I have never received a shipping confirmation and it just happens to show up so hoping it arrives today.

Leaving for San Diego tomorrow morning to see the Bro Am, 9 year old dream coming true!

1 hour ago, SpazzyMcGee said:

Whenever I've ordered from their store (for whatever reason), I have never received a shipping confirmation and it just happens to show up so hoping it arrives today.

Leaving for San Diego tomorrow morning to see the Bro Am, 9 year old dream coming true!

That's awesome! I've always wanted to go to the Bro AM, but I haven't made it out there yet. I've had friends tell me it is so much fun. Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, tagruato said:

Did you ever get a shipping notice, or did it just show up? Glad yours arrived safely!

Did you ever get a shipping notice, or did it just show up? Glad yours arrived safely!

Triple quote, oh baby... (Messed up board)

That's the thing Tagruato, no shipping notice, but I have the USPS.com tracking service and I saw a package shipped from San Diego so I hoped I would get it.