PO NOW: Russian Circles - Guidance | SARGENT HOUSE

On 7/6/2016 at 4:42 PM, antisyntax said:

maybe it wasn't supposed to sound like other RC albums? doesn't mean it's shitty... I'm more impressed with memorial than the 3 tracks I've heard off guidance tbh

I never said it was supposed to sound like any other RC album. I simply stated that it was the only mix of a RC record that I felt didn't suit the record. I feel that the mix made the album sound plastic-y and more like it was mixed for iPod consumption and less for full stereo system/floor speaker consumption. It didn't have a very natural sound which I will say that other RC album mixes do have and I feel that natural sounding mix suits their music but I never said it needed to sound like any other specific RC album. Though it would have served Memorial to have a mix or even a tracking similar to Enter. Geneva may have their best mix yet though I am partial to the extremely naturalistic mix of Enter but what I'm hearing from Guidance is proving to be a pretty excellent mix. I'll have to hear it in full on CD or LP to fully judge it though. I guess I just wish the mixing style for Memorial had been more naturalistic but could very well have that plus its own feel separate from the other albums' mixes.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

Geneva may have their best mix yet

Geneva definitely has the best mix. Partly it suits them, but it also suits the tone of that record. I adore everything they do, but they transcended perfection on Geneva. It is a beautiful/ulgy as fuck record, and the mix is perfect for the songs.

I think I really need to hold off on listening to more of these new songs (though I've heard some live) until the record is delivered on my doorstep.

The drum mix on Geneva is so thick and stone like. It implies a level of sonic "heaviness" like the sounds were being made by objects (or you know, drums) that are physically heavy and deeply rooted. Those tom hits in the beginning of "Fathom" just set the tone and have so much depth and weight. Then the guitars and bass are so thick and rich. Somebody did something very right on that mix. "When The Mountain Come To Mohammad" is insane too. There's so much dynamic and that song is just so amazingly structured. I love how Enter sounds so "real" but there's a toughness to the tones on Geneva that maybe kind of outdoes that.

I don't actually love the mix on Enter that much these days. It sounds a tad flat, and they didn't quite find their groove yet.

Geneva is an absolute masterpiece in terms of composition and recording. Station has actually become one of my new loves: it took a while to settle in, but the mix is great on that album!

Station has an excellent mix that really makes the album unique. I think the reason Enter may sound flatter to you is because it was actually done on tape and probably wasn't heavily processed the way DAW mixes are. By comparison, a digital mix has the capacity to sound more robust more quickly than can be performed on tape but I totally appreciate where Enter sits mix-wise in their catalog.I imagine they didn't have the money to pay someone to mix on tape for as long as it would take to create beefier sounds in the mix stage or they just really liked it with the more minimal processing. It sounds like it retains much more of the room space in the mix where latter albums feel like they have more fabricated soundscapes which still manage to retain some sense of natural reverberation and space but in a slightly less realistic way than Enter.

Edited by mcpherson123

45 minutes ago, davepriz said:

Ummm... Elephant in the room. Empros?!?!?

This. Geneva is amazing. But I continually pull out Empros for a listen, the Bass and guitar tones bring it up a notch for me. Plus it's got the heaviness that I think Geneva lacks. Now Guidance hasn't disappointed one iota yet. Can't wait for the 5th. 

Empros has an amazing mix. Can't fault it at all. It sounds very regal and sharp but also with excellent bass response but the songs just sound "big". The whole mix on "Mladek" is exemplary. Honestly I think really excellent tracking is to thank for much of what's great about RC records' sound. I'm sure what Kurt did for Guidance is going to blow me away once I hear it in full on my stereo based on what I've heard so far.

Ok, I caved. I listened to the leak. Let me just say up-front that the three released tracks - which I really loved when they were put out - don't hold a candle to the last two. The opener is gorgeous, "Mota" and "Afrika" keep the energy up in typical RC fashion, "Overboard" quiets things down, and then "Calla" and "Lisboa" just destroy everything remaining. At the risk of degenerating into Gumbo-type effusiveness, I'll stop here, but anyone waiting can rest assured that this is a phenomenal output.

As a big fan of everything this band has done – including Burial – and also as someone who avoided the singles and live videos, I'm halfway through the record at the moment and absolutely loving what I'm hearing.  This is on track to be their most consistent record, possibly.  Every song is bringing something very memorable and incredible to the table.  Will update when the first listen wraps up.

[edit]

Need another listen.

Edited by Derek™

11 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Ok, I caved. I listened to the leak. Let me just say up-front that the three released tracks - which I really loved when they were put out - don't hold a candle to the last two. The opener is gorgeous, "Mota" and "Afrika" keep the energy up in typical RC fashion, "Overboard" quiets things down, and then "Calla" and "Lisboa" just destroy everything remaining. At the risk of degenerating into Gumbo-type effusiveness, I'll stop here, but anyone waiting can rest assured that this is a phenomenal output.

Well, didn't think I could get anymore hyped for this, yet here I am.

On 25/7/2016 at 0:08 AM, throwgncpr said:

I think I really need to hold off on listening to more of these new songs (though I've heard some live) until the record is delivered on my doorstep

29 minutes ago, Sasan said:

I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST!