PO NOW: Russian Circles - Guidance | SARGENT HOUSE

18 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Finally listened to this album the other day. I liked it. I wasn't blown away, but I definitely like it. Going to have to give it another listen. The riffs are definitely catchy (god damn that riff in 'Vorel'), but I was hoping for something a little heavier over all. It was a different pace with no interlude or 8 minute tracks which was interesting. The structure is there, it's dynamic, it blends and flows well,... I was just expecting something a little different I guess. It was a little on the short side at 40 minutes (at least it was longer that 'Memorial'). I think it could use one more song to round it out.

Maybe I just have Sumac and Bossk on the brain, and need a different mind set while giving this another listen.

I'm sure a few more listens will make this from a 7 to a 8 - 8.5.

Spoiler tag for Sasan.

I think I sort of felt similarly as far as the heaviness goes – which can be credited to the fact that Vorel is probably the heaviest moment on the record, and is right out of the gates.  Almost like that card was played a little too soon.  It also raises the bar for how crushing this band can get, I think; the middle of the three riffs that get the spotlight is almost comedically sinister and heavy, like a boss' theme out of a video game.  

Memorial followed a similar suit by placing Deficit as the kick-to-the-teeth that follows the opener.  But Memorial also threw in the gargantuan Burial and even Lebaron... both of which contrasted a lot of the melodic, softer moments with their weight.

But even with that said, I would still argue that Guidance is the stronger of the two records.  Not only from a mixing standpoint - because Ballou really did put Memorial's mixing to shame, here - but all in all, Guidance just feels way more organic.  The tracks flow so seamlessly and it doesn't at all feel like there's a heavy-melodic-heavy-melodic pattern with the track list, this time around... which is something I've noticed in prior albums (but do not necessarily mind).  The last two tracks don't quite hit with the same impact as the Vorel-Mota-Afrika combination, but they're still great and continue to grow on me immensely.  I think I'm probably about 10 listens into the record and am happy to say it's grown on me so much more compared to just the first play or two.  There are some truly inspiring moments on this thing.

I've only really given this LP one full spin and have had the CD on in my car but haven't been driving nearly enough to let the whole thing play one full rotation. Immediately, I find it better than Memorial but that one isn't really hard to beat for me. I want to try playing that one a few more times now that Guidance is here. I really want to spend more time with Guidance though. I think it will end up being a highlight of their catalog for me.

Got my Translucent Brown/Burgundy Splatter today. Looks real boring without light behind it, but it's definitely a new color for my collection. Guidance is the best thing they've done since Station, in my opinion. Kudos to Kurt Ballou for making this thing sound MASSIVE.

This Pitchfork article explains how I feel best about the songs just "flowing" instead of sounding structural.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22147-guidance/

guidance_zps5jgzxxao.jpg

On August 7, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Dave Grohl said:

Finally listened to this album the other day. I liked it. I wasn't blown away, but I definitely like it. Going to have to give it another listen. The riffs are definitely catchy (god damn that riff in 'Vorel'), but I was hoping for something a little heavier over all. It was a different pace with no interlude or 8 minute tracks which was interesting. The structure is there, it's dynamic, it blends and flows well,... I was just expecting something a little different I guess. It was a little on the short side at 40 minutes (at least it was longer that 'Memorial'). I think it could use one more song to round it out.

Maybe I just have Sumac and Bossk on the brain, and need a different mind set while giving this another listen.

I'm sure a few more listens will make this from a 7 to a 8 - 8.5.

completely agree. I'm at about a 6

In case someone is interested here you can find the clear/brown splatter available to purchase from UK (shipping is £5,70 within EU):

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=43117

The clear/black splatter from Hello merch and both the burgundy and the standard black from Awesome appear to be sold out now.

2 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

In case someone is interested here you can find the clear/brown splatter available to purchase from UK (shipping is £5,70 within EU):

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=43117

The clear/black splatter from Hello merch and both the burgundy and the standard black from Awesome appear to be sold out now.

Looks like there are still 2 copies left of the clear w/ black splatter but you have to buy the CD bundle. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drds89 said:

Grabbing a Cassette if they  have them with them on tour :)

They had them this past Thursday at their KCMO show. $10 for a tape. 

Also, I bought 2 of their earlier LPs, Enter and Station. Both were colored pressings. Enter was clear with black splatter and Station was green and black haze. I assume the other LPs they are toting around on tour are limited color presses as well. I should have bought Guidance because I imagine that too is the burgundy brown splat. $20 per LP at the show.

That was the first time I saw RC perform. It was fan-diddely-tastic.

Man, sorry to hear that, Sasan.

I'm going to be photographing their show in Cincy next weekend for Sargent House, supposed to get some time with them for some portrait group shots as well.  Beyond hyped!

Also looking forward to grabbing the clear/burgundy splatter from the merch table.

I picked this up at a record store while I was in Vancouver.  I really like this record.  I'm far from a Russian Circles superfan though, as I've only listened to Enter and Station besides this.  I don't remember the track names, but there's a song on the A side that has what sounds like a palm muted riff, and it's super catchy.  And there's a song on the B side that is absolutely massive sounding.  I was expecting something a lot heavier but to my surprise the heavier songs were the duller ones to me.

On 9/10/2016 at 4:21 PM, zdkaiser said:

I assume the other LPs they are toting around on tour are limited color presses as well.

I picked up copies of Empros and Geneva at the Chicago show and both LP's were black. They weren't for me as I already have all of their LP's but if they were I would have been as happy as I could be with the color.

Show was awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never paid much attention to Russian Circles before despite always being aware of their existence and universal praise, was youtubing some other tunes and Guidance came on :o album completely floored me especially Calla and Lisboa... AOTY

Ordered a Clear/black platter from Hello Merch :lol: