Belly - Star 2xLP Reissue from 4AD

Following her inestimable contributions as a founding member of both Throwing Muses and The Breeders, Tanya Donelly took centre stage to form Belly with brothers Tom and Chris Gorman on guitars and drums respectively and Fred Abong on bass.  Around the release of their debut album Star in 1993, Fred left the band and was replaced by Gail Greenwood.

Among a wave of essential new American guitar acts in the early-90s, it was Belly’s spikey dreampop that helped set them apart.  Catching fire with singles ‘Feed The Tree’ and ‘Gepetto’, Star saw them grab their moment and catapulted them in to the mainstream, selling almost two million copies worldwide and earning them two GRAMMY nominations.  A second album followed in 1995, King, before they called it quits a year later.

Twenty years on and excitingly the latter line-up of Tanya, Tom, Chris and Gail are back and will be performing both albums this summer on tours of the UK, Ireland and North America. Full dates are listed on the band's official website - www.bellyofficial.com/shows.

To complement, 4AD are reissuing Star on vinyl on the 15th of July 2016.  Coming with updated artwork from Chris Gorman and package design by Chris Bigg, the new version is now spread across two LPs, is being pressed on white marbled vinyl and will be presented in a gatefold sleeve.  It will also include a bonus CD of the album.

Star is available to pre-order now from the 4AD store here.  Please note that we are releasing this to the world outside North America, so US customers should note that shipping costs will be higher from our store.

https://store4adlightbox.sandbaghq.com/belly-star.html

3 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I will probably hold out til a U.S. distro has it. But will definitely get it. Esp. if that is indeed what the vinyl will look like.

"Please note that we are releasing this to the world outside North America, so US customers should note that shipping costs will be higher from our store. " This could be interpreted in different ways. That's why I just bought it from the UK store. I figure that if the colored version hits a U.S. distro, then I will just cancel my UK order. Can't risk it though.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, hega0007 said:

Well that's kind of disappointing. I'll still keep my order since I don't have this on vinyl and I'd rather have an official pressing instead of a Plain Recordings pressing.

Sadly for the first time in a very very very long time. I'm having to send an item back.
When 4ad announced that they intended to reissue Belly's album STAR on luscious coloured marbled vinyl (see first picture) I was delighted, promptly pre ordered my copy & patiently waiting for the release date.
Now I have to say on the + side, the album arrived on schedule & in mint condition. So far so good.
However upon carefully opening the LP to peruse the "gloriously luscious marbled vinyl" I was given to anticipate from the visual presentation in ( picture 1 ) I was greatly dismayed to in fact receive. Two albeit very pretty blue & pink (very slightly) marbled vinyl.
Now two things to say.
Firstly, I understand & accept, that by virtue of the process of creating a multicoloured marbled vinyl. There is likely to be some variation in results. That as our US chums would say is a given.
However, secondly, I would have thought it would have been prudent of 4ad, to clearly state in the pre order info / advert, that the colour & results of the marbled vinyl may vary GREATLY from the example pictured.

You are welcome to play a game of spot the difference, by checking out my pictures of the actual vinyl received.

The irony being, if 4ad had taken a little more care with their description of the vinyl. I would have been more than happy with what I received.

But sadly, these vinyl are being returned to sender first thing Monday morning!

‪#‎uberunhappigoth‬

Hopefully you'll be able to see my post on my fb page that shows the actual vinyl i received today

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsimon.thornhill%2Fposts%2F10153831770273207&width=500" width="500" height="781" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>