Belly - Star 2xLP Reissue from 4AD

14 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

People ordering vinyl for color mockups and not music is very sad

I was gonna say...

Yeah, I mean ultimately the music is what matters. I didn't order this based on the mock up but on the love the band and music from this era. If it sounds good, that's all that matters to me. I understand some folks are chapped about the difference in look and that's totally understandable, but not a deal breaker for me. I'm a music fan first and a collector second or third.

2 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

People ordering vinyl for color mockups and not music is very sad

I get what your saying. However I think your slightly missing the point in this instance. 4ad as a record label, has built a reputation not 

solely on the quality of the artist music output. They have a clear track record of some of the greatest bands, ever to commit music to vinyl - Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, The Birthday Party, Pixies, The Breeders,Dead Can Dance etc etc etc. But what has always set 4ad apart from the vast majority of labels, is the way they presented their artists work. The physical delivery, i.e the artwork and the presentation of the music via the visual medium of the album sleeve, is an integral part of the experience of owning a record from the classic era of 4ad.

I have been a follower a devotee an obsessive collector, of all things classic era 4ad since I was 15 years old. When  I first stumbled across Head over Heels by Cocteau Twins. Not only did the album blow me away, but the art work that presented it, was so different and unusual.

So owning a piece vinyl from 4ad although it is about great music first and foremost.Its also about the joy of experiencing some quite visually wonderful too. So i think that, its perfectly reasonable to express disappointment. Given that the "mock up" presentation is so radically differing from the final product that has been delivered.

On 2016-07-15 at 7:21 PM, glass realms said:

Well that's kind of disappointing. I'll still keep my order since I don't have this on vinyl and I'd rather have an official pressing instead of a Plain Recordings pressing.

This.

But damn, the mock-up are heavy on yellow, which looks great. The actual pressing doesn't even look like it has any yellow at all.  I understand the difference between actual press and a mock-up, but you'd think they could at least get the correct colour combinations for the marble right, if not the ratio or overall look of the finished product.

• 1 month later...