PO Now: Portugal the Man - Woodstock

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying the thing where I don't listen to singles in anticipation of an album and holy shit this album is fucking great. I am so, so impressed by this album.

Side note, I didn't care much for Evil Friends and didn't even realize it's been four years since that album came out. Big change of pace for the band that was putting out an album a year for pretty much seven years straight.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, Thomas³ said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Rich Friends. The instrumentals are amazing, but some of the lyrics are just kinda dumb. I get what they are going for with the song, but still not feeling the lyrics. The guitar and drums on it are amazing though.

that's about the point i turned it off. first 3 songs were meh. i like 'feel it still', but i'm pretty glad i didn't preorder this.

I think i have come to a point of acceptance about what PTM has become and probably will be from this point onwards.

I can put this album and enjoy it as background music, it's got catchy stuff and it's not terrible. But it is not challenging me in anyway, musically it doesn't excite me. I wonder if they have the drive to make music that excites people anymore? However many albums in have they just got comfortable? When they make music now does Gourley still think back to his idols he spoke of in the blog post they made when they signed to Atlantic (http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/portugal._the_man_sign_to_atlantic)? 

I think they did the catchy pop style incredibly well on Satanic Satanist- and it is still one of my favourite records, and this new record is definitely a departure from their standard stuff. But the excitement is gone.

2 hours ago, _stretts said:

"But it is not challenging me in anyway, musically it doesn't excite me. I wonder if they have the drive to make music that excites people anymore? However many albums in have they just got comfortable? When they make music now does Gourley still think back to his idols he spoke of in the blog post they made when they signed to Atlantic."

Edited by icecream