Squeaky Clean Vinyl RCM

It arrived. Out of the box, I love it. The platter is a bit loud, but considering you'll be using it with a shop-vac... not an issue. I received the MKIII. As you can see, he updated the record clamp. Its not just a hockey puck, but now a hockey puck with a nice carrying frame. What impressed me a lot is the tube, as it included adapters for 10" and 7" records. The top of the tube has an air-valve to help with more/less suction. He also included a prototype for the record cleaning brush.

I purchased a Stanley 1.5hp mini shop-vac for $15 (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Wet-Vacuum-Gallon-Horsepower/dp/B006EHYD24?ie=UTF8&keywords=stanley%20shop&qid=1464120863&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8  though cheaper at Wal-Mart), and its a nice deal for $150. I will be doing some testing during the next few days, and will update how I think it works.
yciHiMs.jpg

Edited by ajxd

I purchased one in January.  It's a great alternative to spending $500-$1k on a RCM.  

Great customer service as well.  When mine arrived the screw on the top of the suction deal was missing.  I emailed him and he sent me the missing piece along with an entire new arm, another clamp and additional brush.

I bought mine a year ago.  The plastic is a little cracked/worn in areas, most notably where the air-release screw/circle is.  I think some of the suction has been lost due to that area leaking air.

Still, I think it works well for its price despite that wear.  I really wish there was a way to lower the volume of the shop vac.  It's incredibly loud and, because I live in an apartment, this has forced me to only clean records on the weekends during the afternoon.  From what I've read, the noise dampeners/silencers that you attach to the exit hole don't work well (if at all) and buying/building a dedicated shop vac noise-silencing cabinet is not an option for me.

I had a VPI 16.5, it was loud as shit. It all depends on the vacuum. The one I'm using isn't THAT loud, but it's also less strong. You don't need much more than 1hp. The Stanely I linked works fine. 

After some usage, I love it even more. I had a rather dirty sounding Muse record. No more. Great unit, extremely pleased. 

20 hours ago, ajxd said:

I had a VPI 16.5, it was loud as shit. It all depends on the vacuum. The one I'm using isn't THAT loud, but it's also less strong. You don't need much more than 1hp. The Stanely I linked works fine. 

After some usage, I love it even more. I had a rather dirty sounding Muse record. No more. Great unit, extremely pleased. 

Wait, you listen to Muse? *BARF*

• 5 weeks later...

I ordered mine by emailing the guy.  I gave him my zip code and he emailed me a quote.  Then he just sent me a Paypal Invoice when I said I wanted to order one.  Mine was $124 last week.  If you order off ebay today it looks like comes to $130.  It might depend on where you live too.  Mine should be delivered today!

Edit: Nevermind, not getting it today.  Package couldn't be delivered because my mailbox was supposedly blocked.  In other words, it's a holiday weekend and a lazy substitute driver didn't feel like getting out of their van.  

Edited by dbarila

48 minutes ago, dbarila said:

So with a machine like this, if I'm doing the cleaning once with cleaning solution and then doing a rinse with distilled water should I being using 2 separate brushes (one for solution and one for distilled water)?

You don't have to, but it is recommended to remove any solution that might still be stuck to the record. Always use 2 brushes if you do, to avoid excess solution left over on the record.