PO Now: Owen - The King of Whys

1 hour ago, The Butcha said:

Pleeeasseeeeee revisit Owen in like 10 years. Mike will speak to your soul one day. ;)

Had a bad feeling someone would say that. I still believe music should be able to stand as music rather than poetry with lackluster backing instrumentation.

4 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Had a bad feeling someone would say that. I still believe music should be able to stand as music rather than poetry with lackluster backing instrumentation.

Pick up a guitar and learn some Owen songs and see how lackluster they are. Mike has been using bizarre alternate tuning and kinda pushing a pretty cool envelope of "acoustic and/or solo" music. If hes still doing what he did on older albums then hes recording the majority of the instruments himself. Which is pretty sweet. Hes a talented man. Much to be appreciated here!

13 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

Pick up a guitar and learn some Owen songs and see how lackluster they are. Mike has been using bizarre alternate tuning and kinda pushing a pretty cool envelope of "acoustic and/or solo" music. If hes still doing what he did on older albums then hes recording the majority of the instruments himself. Which is pretty sweet. Hes a talented man. Much to be appreciated here!

I do play guitar, so I could, but I don't think technical skill means much on its own. Elliott Smith did the same thing, except his music doesn't come off as lifeless to me. Hate to speak out against the album when everybody else seems to love it, but this is a music discussion board. 

Edit: Like I mentioned, there were a few tracks I enjoyed, but the rest of it was just dry. 

Edited by DOMAN127

6 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I do play guitar, so I could, but I don't think technical skill means much on its own. Elliott Smith did the same thing, except his music doesn't come off as lifeless to me. Hate to speak out against the album when everybody else seems to love it, but this is a music discussion board. 

Edit: Like I mentioned, there were a few tracks I enjoyed, but the rest of it was just dry. 

I'm not crazy about it either. As much as I love a good Kinsella project, I've just never really been an Owen guy.

4 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I think I also forget you're not a lyric guy much. Clearly my favorite part of Owen songs most of the time. As a guitar player his songs are pretty cool to learn to experiment with alternate tunings.

Anyyways..this record is dope. And coming to me at a great time in life. As most Owen albums do.

1 minute ago, The Butcha said:

I think I also forget you're not a lyric guy much. Clearly my favorite part of Owen songs most of the time. As a guitar player his songs are pretty cool to learn to experiment with alternate tunings.

Anyyways..this record is dope. And coming to me at a great time in life. As most Owen albums do.

You'd be right about that; lyrics aren't primary to me. It's rare for me to like something because of the lyrics more than the music, but it definitely happens (Mountain Goats for example). What's weird is I like past Owen work (and other Kinsella work) I guess this album let me down, that's all.

15 minutes ago, Tommy said:

After 15+ listens here are my top 3 in order:

Settled Down

Saltwater

Lovers Come and Go

I can't wait for the LP so I can read the lyrics since it's hard to make out what he's saying at times. This album is a 9/10 for me. 

Settled Down may be my fav at this point too. That and Island. 

So I hastily bought tickets to see Owen at PhilaMOCA in Philadelphia on 9/16 without checking my schedule first. Turns out I have a wedding that night and can't go to the shows. I bought one ticket for the late show, which is now sold out, and then when a second early show was announced for the same day I bought a ticket for that as well. They were 20 dollars each plus fees, I'd be willing to work with prices though since they will be going to waste if I don't sell them. PM if you're interested in these tickets.