PO: The Matches - Decomposer, Recompser Demos, Signed, /500

They won't. They did the same thing with EVDKTL, with the original version and other LP of the Epitaph release. It's too bad because I don't want to pay that much for a bunch of demo's I'll never listen to again. They should have just included the demo's as strictly a download and offered a single LP of the album.

I just love how they try to say "buy it now or pay flipper prices later". Whereas if they looked at collectorsfrenzy they'd in fact see that people have paid cost (or less) to get EVDKTL and the copies currently on eBay are the ones that won't sell because they just aren't a flip worthy band. 

3 hours ago, zacooper said:

I just love how they try to say "buy it now or pay flipper prices later". Whereas if they looked at collectorsfrenzy they'd in fact see that people have paid cost (or less) to get EVDKTL and the copies currently on eBay are the ones that won't sell because they just aren't a flip worthy band. 

On that same note, you'd think a band would WANT to keep this available to their fans instead of mentioning how people are flipping it. Maybe I don't get it, but why wouldn't they want to make more copies available if Epitaph is allowing them to make this release?

47 minutes ago, chils123 said:

On that same note, you'd think a band would WANT to keep this available to their fans instead of mentioning how people are flipping it. Maybe I don't get it, but why wouldn't they want to make more copies available if Epitaph is allowing them to make this release?

Because they know it won't sell out unless they push the limited "buy it now" mentality. I like this band, I like this album, but I'm voting with my (not spending) dollars in this case.

Like EVDKTL and the Life of A Match 7", I think they will keep pressing this in limited quantities until demand dies down.  The 2nd press of EVDKTL took a while to sell out, so we probably won't see a third pressing, while the 7" is still available.  

Also, people are ragging on the demos, but I've been listening to them non-stop since I got the download code, and they are incredible. 

15 hours ago, zacooper said:

The last one on ebay sold for $150 and I'm pretty sure I've seen it go for $200.

I get wanting a simple release for $20, but anyone that owns EVDKTL can attest to the fact that your extra money is going somewhere. It's a beautiful and cared for release.

Edited by lemongoat

14 minutes ago, lemongoat said:

The last one on ebay sold for $150 and I'm pretty sure I've seen it go for $200.

I get wanting a simple release for $20, but anyone that owns EVDKTL can attest to the fact that your extra money is going somewhere. It's a beautiful and cared for release.

Well collectorsfrenzy doesn't back you up on that statement, but ok. And I owned E Von Dahl, it was a nice package. I just understand why people aren't willing to spend $40 though.

Edited by zacooper

Hello everyone... I must say, I'm stoked that we made it onto this board.  As a vinyl collector, i must say, it's better to be noticed and spoken about than not being known about.  I totally understand where you guys are coming from from the evaluating of the cost vs. desire to own Decomposer.   Heres the thing.  The Matches have always been about the product as a whole.  So, the music first, lyrics, etc..but also the presentation.  The art, videos, creative process.  We have been fortunate to where the fan base has been amazing and dedicated to the entire experience of The Matches.  So, with the double gatefold, that was part of the art presentation.  If you owned Decomposer on CD, you would understand.  So, to be able to put it on a vinyl and have the space to expand what was limited to the dimensions of a cd, we wanted it to be awesome.  Adding the insert, that is pages from the note book that Shawn (Singer/writer) had as he was writing and creating Decomposer, we thought would be a good extra to have for the fans that love the art and words.  For a 2nd disc, we really looked to try and find something that would attract and excite the core fan base (sounds like that's not a lot of you guys), but entering the creative development of Decomposer we saw as something they would be stoked on (so far, the response has been great from them).  We put out our last album E Von Dahl Killed The Locals as a double album, because that album was made 2x..once as an indie DIY album, then when he band got signed to Epitaph, we recorded a couple more songs, remixed all of them and it was a different album from the original DIY version, so that was why that was 2 LP's.  We only pressed 1000 (2 pressings of 500), because we weren't sure of what the fan base was.  We sold out of the 1st pressing in 1 day, so put up another 500 (different colors) and those took longer than 24 hours, but ended up selling out.  When I mentioned that EVDKTL was on ebay for $200, that was because, I don;t want our core fans to have to pay that much for something we charged far less.  Lots of people held out and got stuck buying the marked up version.  Don;t want that to happen this time.  The last reason for the price, is that we create, press, package, ship and do everything on our own.  To press a double LP, double gatefold with the 4 colors, labels, insert, etc..it's not cheap. We had to license the album master rights for this pressing, so it wasn't a freebie that we can just profit from.  And Epitaph was generous and gracious enough to give us the opportunity. We are still a band with no label and, sure, don;t mind actually making something from this.  I don't see anything wrong with that, but the purpose of that isn't the reason we make it.  If it was, we would sell more than 1000.  I feel comfortable with 1000 fans who want this album being willing to pay $40, because they are always happy with the final product and the feeling they get looking at it, listening, reading the liner notes, etc... 

Maybe this helped explain it a little better.  I have spent personally, a lot of $ on vinyl and if it's something I want, because of my love and dedication to the band, i don't mind paying.  So, this album is really pressed for those people who share that feeling.

I'm not sure if Epitaph will be pressing a single, I think they might be and I'm sure that will be $20, I just don't know when as we won't be involved.  They will just take the music and art and format to press. 

Thanks for you time!!!

The Matches

I appreciate you explaining your intentions, but I really don't think you need to justify yourself. Let the art and your artistic decisions speak for themselves, for better or worse. 

Please choose your words carefully. You shouldn't insinuate the rest of us that have an opinion as being lesser fans because we don't want demos and extra stuff. Decomposer is on the short list of my all time favorite albums, but the way I choose to consume it is my choice, and I'd think you'd want to know what your fans are looking for. Rather than come on here and say we mustn't be "core fans", maybe you should listen to your fans and understand we want options for how we consume your music and support you as a band.

I've been pretty stoked for the upcoming show this Saturday in Chicago, but now I'm doubting if I'm a "core" enough fan to enjoy it. Maybe I should sell my tickets and buy the album with the money I make back.

I'm aware I'm being a bit dramatic, but it's a fine line to tread when artists attempt to explain themselves on the internet and convey the wrong message in the process. 

EDIT: I also realize I called your artistic decision "junk" in my first post, which is an unfair comment. Sincere apologies for that.

Edited by mikeytags

Hey Mikeytags... There was honestly no intentions in the post of saying people who didn't want the double LP weren't core fans.  I started the post saying I understood why some wouldn't want to pay for it.

i was just trying to explain the reason for a double LP, the additional content and price.

its a real limited edition and we want it to be something a little more for people who wanted more of the experience.  That doesn't mean if you don't want it, you aren't a true fan, just someone who doesn't want the bells and whistles.  Totally understand.  This is why we are hoping that epitaph does a single disc of Decomposer.  It just wasn't in the books/schedule as of now.  So also, I'm sure if we did a single disc and then epitaph did the same after, there would be nothing special about ours.  Hence, the limited, special double. sorry I bummed you out.  Totally not the intention and hope that didn't make you decide to miss out on the upcoming show.  It should be a lot of fun.

I remember playing EVDKTL at my college radio station. Had to be late 2003 or early 2004. Saw them shortly thereafter at The Warped Tour in Rochester. Had to be maybe 25 people watching, which was a shame because they absolutely killed it. I appreciate you taking the time to describe the Decomposer release. Pretty cool to do that. Good luck!