PO: The Matches - Decomposer, Recompser Demos, Signed, /500

• 1 year later...

This is my guess at the rumor mill, but looks like "A Band in Hope" might be getting it's first press? They just out an email to the mailing list that just said "Please Stand By". Given, however, that they pressed the first two albums as 10 year anniversary releases, "A Band in Hope" gets its turns this year. Just my guess though....

Called it.  http://thematches.storenvy.com/products/23116419-a-band-in-hope-10-year-anniversary-limited-edition-vinyl-w-automatic-down

A Band In Hope on vinyl.  Limited to 1000 copies all numbered.  It's a special double vinyl with amazing artwork by Shawn Harris, lyrics and a special anniversary 2nd album called "Don't Shake My Hand With Your Sunglasses On" which is a mix of demos and unreleased material.  Upon purchase, you will receive a link to download this special mix that was edited and mixed with love by our very own Justin SanSouci.
Album ships now.  So no waiting this time.

Going to get it this time, because this might be my favorite album from them. Still going to moan about how much it is though. Epitaph needs to repress these in a normal 1xLP. $48 Shipped is a little high...

Edited by MCDELTAT

Hey @MCDELTAT

so first off, major props to you  for being I think the only person that guessed it was going to be a vinyl release. Basically to make these vinyl releases special and not just a  single vinyl record.  We try to do things that are special and limited. Pricey? Yes but just so you know, we have to license the record from epitaph since they own it plus we have to pay for the manufacturing the art the mastering all the things we do for this release.  so in order to make it work this is the standard price that we place. We not ever looking to exploit our relationship with our fans it’s just an actual cost issue.  as far as the download goes I’m not exactly sure what the issue was that you have but I would love to know. Thanks for being the Sherlock Holmes of The Matches world .  Thanks for supporting us regardless.  you rock.

3 minutes ago, TheMatches said:

Hey @MCDELTAT

so first off, major props to you  for being I think the only person that guessed it was going to be a vinyl release. Basically to make these vinyl releases special and not just a  single vinyl record.  We try to do things that are special and limited. Pricey? Yes but just so you know, we have to license the record from epitaph since they own it plus we have to pay for the manufacturing the art the mastering all the things we do for this release.  so in order to make it work this is the standard price that we place. We not ever looking to exploit our relationship with our fans it’s just an actual cost issue.  as far as the download goes I’m not exactly sure what the issue was that you have but I would love to know. Thanks for being the Sherlock Holmes of The Matches world .  Thanks for supporting us regardless.  you rock.

hey Mr. @TheMatches,

Are there any Decomposer pressings left anywhere? I waited too long and well, now I can't find it. 

Unfortunately,  there are no Decomposer or E Von Dahl Killed The Locals left.  We make these limited to 1000. They are all numbered (so you know we don’t cheat).  So once we sell them out, we don’t make more.  We made 2 pressings of EVDKTL, because we didn’t anticipate to sell out of 500.  But those went in like 2 days.  So we ran a 2nd Press (changing the color of the vinyl to make it an official 2nd pressing and avoid being accused of lying).  So, other than the copy I kept for myself, they are gone.  In 1 day since putting it up, we are almost 3/4 sold of A Band In Hope.  I guess better to be sold out than not sell out and be stuck with inventory.

lastly, when we license the albums from Epitaph, the agreement is to do no more than 1000 copies.

Sincerely,

Mr. TheMatches

9 hours ago, TheMatches said:

Yes but just so you know, we have to license the record from epitaph since they own it plus we have to pay for the manufacturing the art the mastering all the things we do for this release.  so in order to make it work this is the standard price that we place. We not ever looking to exploit our relationship with our fans it’s just an actual cost issue. 

No I mean I get it, it doesn't take an economist to see that the fees add up. Also I know you're working hard on it since my order already shipped, so thanks. Since I'm in LA, I figure I'll be getting it pretty soon.

11 hours ago, TheMatches said:

Unfortunately,  there are no Decomposer or E Von Dahl Killed The Locals left.  We make these limited to 1000. They are all numbered (so you know we don’t cheat).  So once we sell them out, we don’t make more.  We made 2 pressings of EVDKTL, because we didn’t anticipate to sell out of 500.  But those went in like 2 days.  So we ran a 2nd Press (changing the color of the vinyl to make it an official 2nd pressing and avoid being accused of lying).  So, other than the copy I kept for myself, they are gone.  In 1 day since putting it up, we are almost 3/4 sold of A Band In Hope.  I guess better to be sold out than not sell out and be stuck with inventory.

lastly, when we license the albums from Epitaph, the agreement is to do no more than 1000 copies.

Sincerely,

Mr. TheMatches

First of all, I love you guys. But have you ever had a conversation with epitaph to have them press your albums? You've proven they can sell.

Hey @thomasj182

I apologize for the steep price.  Honestly, none of the albums are intended to take any of you for a profit ride.  Sure, like anything being sold, you hope to profit somewhat, but these are never money grabs.  Your comments are all taken with honest respect.  I myself is a collector and buy records not for a flip.  I was lucky to get Brand New Scoence Fiction limited Press/package (pre Jessie scandal) and like us, the care in package is much appreciated and worth the cost.  A Band In Hope was never released on vinyl and like I said, Epitaph has no desire to do any of our releases.  We do all the work in house (I actually pick up the vinyl from the manufacturer, the boxes, labels, etc and ship them on my own.  The most miserable 48 hours you can imagine.  But, the reward of getting the album to those who are excited for it is super rewarding.  again, I’m  a fan and collector as well.  On ABIH, we didn’t want to make anyone wait In a preorder, so turned it around from the day it was put up and shipped within 12 hours.  I can (honestly) say, we have sold 600+ since Tuesday and are so appricative that people still care about us.  The extra album is just a special way to say thank you.  Everyone already have the album in CD or can stream it, so adding something special is just a thank you.  As a music fan, i have always wanted the demos and out takes.  Things that were never available.  Hearing the evolution of the songs is very interesting and an inside look at hownthings came about.  I get that some don’t give a shit too, but we just can’t do 2 runs (one single and one double).  It’s expensive already, so doing that is honestly operating at a loss.  The sleeves inside the album are pretty rad and it’s a nice way to old school experience the album as a audio and tactile experience.  The only releasing the digital versions of the 2nd LP is just a fair way of giving a gift of appreciation.  Usually when we sell out of the vinyl, we make those available, but doing it before that is like offering pre sale tickets to someone and then allowing everyone in for free day of show.  It just would feel like we screwed them over.  I don’t know if that makes sense, but it’s an ethical decision.  I have spoken to Epitaph about it and they just don’t have interest.  Perhaps they will change their mind down the line, but if they do, they don’t even need to ask us as hey own the master.  We also donthis 3rd party license DIY, because we can have quality control over the release.  When other companies license from labels, it’s usually without the bands permission and they don’t earn a dime from the license or sales and the quality control is non existent.  Those companies are usually more concerned with just moving units.  I actually bought Say Anything’s In Defense of the Genre” from one of those 3rd party labels and it honestly sounds like shit.  I can assure you Max Bemis would be bummed.  Any way... I appreciate all your comments and thoughts, i just wanted to know i hear you, I understand your grievances and don’t say my way or the highway... we just have this level of quality control that we want to uphold between Sonics, art and packaging.  So, the price can seem steep.  I was at Barnes and Noble (can you believe that’s actually one of the only places you can find vinyl these days?) and they were selling a single disc of Led Zeppelin III for $39.00... the band sees zero of that mark up at least doing it DIY, we sell directly to our fans and actually take control of our own destiny.  Trust me touring for 6 years, 250+ dates a year and coming home with $500 bucks each, it’s pretty awesome to know 10’ywars later that it all meant something to the people we played for and they are there with the same passion and support for us to keep us doing these special

things on our terms.  Thanks again for your discussion on this board.

sincerely,

Mr. TheMatches 

On 2/3/2018 at 3:02 AM, TheMatches said:

Hey @thomasj182

I apologize for the steep price.  Honestly, none of the albums are intended to take any of you for a profit ride.  Sure, like anything being sold, you hope to profit somewhat, but these are never money grabs.  Your comments are all taken with honest respect.  I myself is a collector and buy records not for a flip.  I was lucky to get Brand New Scoence Fiction limited Press/package (pre Jessie scandal) and like us, the care in package is much appreciated and worth the cost.  A Band In Hope was never released on vinyl and like I said, Epitaph has no desire to do any of our releases.  We do all the work in house (I actually pick up the vinyl from the manufacturer, the boxes, labels, etc and ship them on my own.  The most miserable 48 hours you can imagine.  But, the reward of getting the album to those who are excited for it is super rewarding.  again, I’m  a fan and collector as well.  On ABIH, we didn’t want to make anyone wait In a preorder, so turned it around from the day it was put up and shipped within 12 hours.  I can (honestly) say, we have sold 600+ since Tuesday and are so appricative that people still care about us.  The extra album is just a special way to say thank you.  Everyone already have the album in CD or can stream it, so adding something special is just a thank you.  As a music fan, i have always wanted the demos and out takes.  Things that were never available.  Hearing the evolution of the songs is very interesting and an inside look at hownthings came about.  I get that some don’t give a shit too, but we just can’t do 2 runs (one single and one double).  It’s expensive already, so doing that is honestly operating at a loss.  The sleeves inside the album are pretty rad and it’s a nice way to old school experience the album as a audio and tactile experience.  The only releasing the digital versions of the 2nd LP is just a fair way of giving a gift of appreciation.  Usually when we sell out of the vinyl, we make those available, but doing it before that is like offering pre sale tickets to someone and then allowing everyone in for free day of show.  It just would feel like we screwed them over.  I don’t know if that makes sense, but it’s an ethical decision.  I have spoken to Epitaph about it and they just don’t have interest.  Perhaps they will change their mind down the line, but if they do, they don’t even need to ask us as hey own the master.  We also donthis 3rd party license DIY, because we can have quality control over the release.  When other companies license from labels, it’s usually without the bands permission and they don’t earn a dime from the license or sales and the quality control is non existent.  Those companies are usually more concerned with just moving units.  I actually bought Say Anything’s In Defense of the Genre” from one of those 3rd party labels and it honestly sounds like shit.  I can assure you Max Bemis would be bummed.  Any way... I appreciate all your comments and thoughts, i just wanted to know i hear you, I understand your grievances and don’t say my way or the highway... we just have this level of quality control that we want to uphold between Sonics, art and packaging.  So, the price can seem steep.  I was at Barnes and Noble (can you believe that’s actually one of the only places you can find vinyl these days?) and they were selling a single disc of Led Zeppelin III for $39.00... the band sees zero of that mark up at least doing it DIY, we sell directly to our fans and actually take control of our own destiny.  Trust me touring for 6 years, 250+ dates a year and coming home with $500 bucks each, it’s pretty awesome to know 10’ywars later that it all meant something to the people we played for and they are there with the same passion and support for us to keep us doing these special

things on our terms.  Thanks again for your discussion on this board.

sincerely,

Mr. TheMatches 

Not sending any hate your way at all! Totally understand and support and it's awesome for fans that can afford it. You owe me nor anyone questing the price an explanation.