Angel Olsen - My Woman

Oh shiiiiit. Will buy.

Edit: except im gonna wait for a single because i dont understand the new look abd the focus on her being a "pop personality" the guy who produces xcx and sky ferreira doing this has me nervous... what have they done to the country/female johnny cash esque indie folk singer?

Edited by rooks

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thanks! Cancelled my original order and got the bundle... although $9.80 for shipping is a joke

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2016 at 7:50 AM, rooks said:

Oh shiiiiit. Will buy.

Edit: except im gonna wait for a single because i dont understand the new look abd the focus on her being a "pop personality" the guy who produces xcx and sky ferreira doing this has me nervous... what have they done to the country/female johnny cash esque indie folk singer?

Olsen mentions that the chintzy tinsel wig she wears in her recent videos has drawn criticism, though from whom it is not entirely clear. “People have been like, ‘Oh you’re trying to be Grimes, you’re trying to be Sia.’ Are you fucking kidding me? The only reason I wore it was because I didn’t have a stylist who could make sure my hair looked the same throughout all of the frames.” And the ominous synths of My Woman’s kiss-off lead single, “Intern,” have apparently made some think Olsen’s gone pop instead of simply “fucking with people” and their expectations of her sound. “Someone was like, ‘This sounds like Lana Del Rey,’” she says, incredulous. “Do you know that I write songs? I’ve always written songs. I’ve never been someone who poses naked on a men’s magazine.”

Though Olsen co-produced the new record with her friend Justin Raisen, who’s known for his work with crossover stars like Charli XCX, she isn’t trying to hew to any sort of mainstream pop trajectory. For one thing, it doesn’t seem like she’d be OK with the idea from a commercial perspective: The British version of T.J. Maxx offered her $100,000 to use one of her songs in a commercial a couple of years ago, but she declined; she says she’d only do a car commercial if she had a kid. And while she’s on the road with her tight-knit band of pop lovers—Bronaugh, bassist Emily Elhaj, and drummer Joshua Jaeger—Olsen sometimes finds herself exposed to their “penny music” soundtrack and wondering, “Why are you listening to this fucking crap?

But there is something else, something deeper, that explains Olsen’s strong reaction to these so-called accusations of pop—claims that prove to be untrue, by the way, when one actually hears My Woman, with its flashes of Fleetwood Mac and ’70s AOR. Some people will always feel like it’s them against the world. But this feeling propels them. Picking up on this is central to understanding Olsen as a person, but also to understanding her music.

Read more: http://pitchfork.com/features/profile/9933-this-womans-work-the-many-lives-of-angel-olsen/

On 6/7/2016 at 7:50 AM, rooks said:

Oh shiiiiit. Will buy.

Olsen mentions that the chintzy tinsel wig she wears in her recent videos has drawn criticism, though from whom it is not entirely clear. “People have been like, ‘Oh you’re trying to be Grimes, you’re trying to be Sia.’ Are you fucking kidding me? The only reason I wore it was because I didn’t have a stylist who could make sure my hair looked the same throughout all of the frames.” And the ominous synths of My Woman’s kiss-off lead single, “Intern,” have apparently made some think Olsen’s gone pop instead of simply “fucking with people” and their expectations of her sound. “Someone was like, ‘This sounds like Lana Del Rey,’” she says, incredulous. “Do you know that I write songs? I’ve always written songs. I’ve never been someone who poses naked on a men’s magazine.”

Though Olsen co-produced the new record with her friend Justin Raisen, who’s known for his work with crossover stars like Charli XCX, she isn’t trying to hew to any sort of mainstream pop trajectory. For one thing, it doesn’t seem like she’d be OK with the idea from a commercial perspective: The British version of T.J. Maxx offered her $100,000 to use one of her songs in a commercial a couple of years ago, but she declined; she says she’d only do a car commercial if she had a kid. And while she’s on the road with her tight-knit band of pop lovers—Bronaugh, bassist Emily Elhaj, and drummer Joshua Jaeger—Olsen sometimes finds herself exposed to their “penny music” soundtrack and wondering, “Why are you listening to this fucking crap?

But there is something else, something deeper, that explains Olsen’s strong reaction to these so-called accusations of pop—claims that prove to be untrue, by the way, when one actually hears My Woman, with its flashes of Fleetwood Mac and ’70s AOR. Some people will always feel like it’s them against the world. But this feeling propels them. Picking up on this is central to understanding Olsen as a person, but also to understanding her music.

Read more: http://pitchfork.com/features/profile/9933-this-womans-work-the-many-lives-of-angel-olsen/

There's also the Rough Trade exclusive /600 on white vinyl with a bonus CD of demos and alternate versions of songs from the album, which is what I have preordered.

If you plan on ordering this version, make sure to buy the "LP+" version. "LP" is the purple indie exclusive and "LP+MP3" is standard black vinyl, though all copies should include the bonus CD.

Edited by aphasias

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the bundle sold out, hopefully they saved some of those 7"s for whenever they work out the "add-ons" feature for subscribers. If not I remember Angel had copies of the Endless Road 7" included in the Burn Your Fire bundle at the merch table on her last tour so I'm sure these will be available on the road.

Wish I had gotten the bundle, but I ordered a blue from her store and sprung for the white Rough Trade. I'll get the purple tomorrow. I've been loving the download that much so far. 

See her in nashville next next week too. Would be really cool if she did have some of those 7"s to sell then! 

On August 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM, aphasias said:

There's also the Rough Trade exclusive /600 on white vinyl with a bonus CD of demos and alternate versions of songs from the album, which is what I have preordered.

If you plan on ordering this version, make sure to buy the "LP+" version. "LP" is the purple indie exclusive and "LP+MP3" is standard black vinyl, though all copies should include the bonus CD.

I got my purple in from Bullmoose - haven't had a chance to listen yet but it sure is pretty. Awesome gatefold with lyrics printed inside. And it didn't come with the bonus cd, I'm assuming you meant all copies ordered from Rough Trade come with the cd? 

11 hours ago, tvham said:

I got my purple in from Bullmoose - haven't had a chance to listen yet but it sure is pretty. Awesome gatefold with lyrics printed inside. And it didn't come with the bonus cd, I'm assuming you meant all copies ordered from Rough Trade come with the cd? 

Yes, I apologize if I didn't make that clear. The bonus CD is a RT exclusive.

I'm still waiting to receive my copy from RT which shipped 8/30. I am assuming it will take a while to makes it's way from the UK to the US.

Edited by aphasias