Melvins - Houdini LP | Stoner Witch LP | Stag 2xLP

/// MELVINS | HOUDINI, STONER WITCH, AND STAG REISSUES

Music Industry, 1993: everyone is looking to sign the “next” Nirvana. Atlantic Records found exactly the band they were looking for in the Melvins. Birthed in the Pacific Northwest gloom of Aberdeen that would spawn grunge music and culture, the Melvins were writing songs that were clearly inspired by the right stuff and written for the right people… and they had Nirvana’s unequivocal stamp of approval, which meant everything in the early 90’s. For the next four years after their signing, the Melvins would deliver three stellar, influential albums that were criminally only moderately appreciated at the time. In the past 23 years, they’ve continued onwards with Buzz Osborne, Dale Crover, and a revolving cast of bassists at the helm, cementing themselves as one of the most important American rock bands of all time.

Houdini, Stoner Witch, and Stag have all been out of print on vinyl for over two decades and original copies can command into the three figures in back alley craps games. Third Man Records is proud to reintroduce these titles to the hungry vinyl-buying public, all remastered from original analog tapes, pressed on 180-gram vinyl and given the deluxe, gatefold jacket treatment.

Official Release Date: June 24, 2016.  

ORDER BLACK LP BUNDLE HERE: http://thirdmanstore.com/bands/melvins/melvins-reissue-bundle

ORDER INDIVIDUAL BLACK LPs HERE: http://thirdmanstore.com/bands/melvins

Houdini - $20 - LP - Black 180g

Stoner Witch - $20 - LP - Black 180g

Stag - $25 - 2xLP - Black 180g

All three for $58.

*** PLEASE NOTE: Plans for the release of the limited edition color vinyl versions will be announced at a later date. ***

MELVINS - HOUDINI

TMR-295

MLVS houdini 1000

Signed to Atlantic Records in the hubbub after Nirvana’s Nevermind exploded, the Melvins’ fifth album Houdini was a conscious attempt by the band to make a record that wouldn’t alienate their fans but that the band members themselves would also enjoy. Their best-selling release by a country-mile, this album crested at number 29 on on the Billboard Heatseekers chart. Houdini would be most folks introduction to the band and songs like “Honeybucket” received MTV airplay.

• first time on vinyl since 1993
  • six tracks produced by Kurt Cobain
  • cover art by legendary artist Frank Kozik
  • includes the vinyl-only bonus track “Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)” originally by the MC5

LIMITED EDITION COLOR ON HOUDINI YELLOW.

STONER WITCH

TMR-296

MLVS stoner 1000

The stellar seventh studio album by the Melvins is one of the most cohesive and beloved in the band’s catalog. With fan favorites like “Revolve” and “Queen” balanced with the impressive sound explorations of “Lividity” and “Shevil” and the result is one of the most praised albums of the band’s 30+ year career.

• first time on vinyl since 1994 

LIMITED EDITION COLOR ON STONER WITCH DARK PURPLE.

STAG

TMR-297

MLVS STAG 1000  

The final album in the Melvins major label span, Stag finds the band fully spreading their wings (and budget) to create what is arguably their most wide-ranging and diverse album among the nearly two-dozen full-length studio albums the band has released since 1987.

• first time on vinyl since 1996
  • album now comfortably spans two discs while original release was crammed onto single disc
  • portions of the album recorded at the legendary Sound City studios 

LIMITED EDITION COLOR ON RED AND AQUA SWIRL.

(Mentioned in TMR thread, but I felt this deserved it's own thread as many people will be stoked on these since they have been OOP for quite some time.)

Edited by Dave Grohl

10 minutes ago, jrodan said:

interested to see how the color copies will be available. hopefully somehow online and not a tour exclusive.

TMR has done colored copies in different ways. I doubt these will be tour copies, but I'm worried they will be in store only...

Only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Dave Grohl

11 minutes ago, surfingelectrode said:

Any word on when these will be available in stores? Don't want to spend $11 on shipping for the three.

I assume the standard black releases will be in stores soon since it has a release of June 24th. Any store that regularly stocks TMR or stoner / doom should get these. It's odd they don't have media mail as an option. I've always gotten media mail when ordering from them. Hmm.

FUCK ME AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Wait hold up, this is actually confusing. If I had impulsively purchased too quickly I may not have noticed that there is a standard black version of these and that the color variants promoted in the video are not the default. Fine print reading is important. Guess I'll hold off until those are announced.

BUT OMG I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Good thing my girlfriend just got a job offer today after switching careers and going back to school over the winter. 

Edited by jeromium

22 minutes ago, jeromium said:

FUCK ME AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Wait hold up, this is actually confusing. If I had impulsively purchased too quickly I may not have noticed that there is a standard black version of these and that the color variants promoted in the video are not the default. Fine print reading is important. Guess I'll hold off until those are announced.

BUT OMG I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Good thing my girlfriend just got a job offer today after switching careers and going back to school over the winter. 

That's why I wrote the following:

All three for $58.

*Plans for the release of the limited edition color vinyl versions will be announced at a later date.

MY DREAMS ARE FINALLY COMING TRUE.

I hope they will eventually do a Senile RP as well. Not sure who owns the rights to that one since Hydra did it last. I would assume it's still under Ipecac, while these reissues for Stag, SW, and Houdini were originally under Atlantic. At least these three is a good start. : )

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

That's why I wrote the following:

All three for $58.

*Plans for the release of the limited edition color vinyl versions will be announced at a later date.

I see that now, I glossed over them initially. The Third Man site could make that a little more clear up top though, rather than further down the page and after the video. Really it's a problem with the video used to promote the reissues but focusing solely on the colored variants which aren't actually available yet. I'd be happy with black as well, but might as well wait to see if I can grab the colored ones. 

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

MY DREAMS ARE FINALLY COMING TRUE.

I hope they will eventually do a Senile RP as well. Not sure who owns the rights to that one since Hydra did it last. I would assume it's still under Ipecac, while these reissues for Stag, SW, and Houdini were originally under Atlantic. At least these three is a good start. : )

I just picked up a mint copy of the clear blue (A) Senile Animal a few weeks ago - such an insane package and my favorite Melvins album.

7 minutes ago, jeromium said:

I see that now, I glossed over them initially. The Third Man site could make that a little more clear up top though, rather than further down the page and after the video. Really it's a problem with the video used to promote the reissues but focusing solely on the colored variants which aren't actually available yet. I'd be happy with black as well, but might as well wait to see if I can grab the colored ones. 

I just picked up a mint copy of the clear blue (A) Senile Animal a few weeks ago - such an insane package and my favorite Melvins album.

Yeah, I can see how it can be confusing if you just watch the video. Didn't want anyone to rush and order the bundle thinking it was color. (Unfortunately the font size isn't working at the moment.)

And wow, I'm super jealous. Do you mind sharing how much you spent on that? I've seen it go more quite a bit - more than I am willing to spend. It's my favorite album by them as well.

Edited by Dave Grohl

21 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

And wow, I'm super jealous. Do you mind sharing how much you spent on that? I've seen it go more quite a bit - more than I am willing to spend. It's my favorite album by them as well.

$145 shipped, which is more than twice what was previously the most I'd ever spent on an album ($60). Compared to what's out there on discogs, and considering the condition, I think it was a very fair price. Obviously I would have preferred paying $40 for it though. 

• jhulud locked this topic