Best of 2016 (So far)

On 26/11/2016 at 5:02 PM, Shitty Rambo said:

What were some of youse guise's biggest disappointment releases of the year? Hoping to read some of the responses on my dumb podcast this week. 

Deftones - Gore

Lacks the immediate flow of its most recent predecessor and mostly its just forgettable in comparison. I jumped on the hype train too quick. Think my copy will be getting traded in before the years out.

My list looks something like this

The Dear Hunter - Act V:  Hymns with the Devil in Confessional

American Football - LP2

Athletics - When to Run, Where to Hide (not really an album, but whatever)

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Hammock - Everything and Nothing

Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad - Luke Cage OST

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here...

Honorable mentions:

Weezer - Weezer (White album)

Tycho - Epoch

Disappointments:

Deftones - Gore

Wilco - Schmilco

A top 10 in no particular order...

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow

The 1975 - ILIWYS...

Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

Balance and Composure - Light We Made

Weezer - Weezer (The White Album)

Marching Church - Telling It Like It Is

Boston Manor - Be Nothing.

The Hotelier - Goodness

1. Night Riots - Love Gloom
  2. Prinze George - Illiterate Synth-pop
  3. Lewis Del Mar - S/T
  4. Phantogram - Three
  5. Pr0files - Jurassic Technology
  6. Blaqk Audio - Material
  7. The Knocks - 55
  8. Crater - Talk To Me So I Can Fall Asleep
  9. Slaves - Take Control
  10. Lucius - Good Grief
  11. Broods - Conscious
  12. Tiger Army - V
  13. Paper Route - Real Emotion
  14. Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being
  15. Coasts - Coasts

On 11/27/2016 at 1:43 PM, Derek™ said:

I can't say it was a disappointment since I wasn't necessarily stoked on it, but that Lost In Kiev does nothing for me at all.  Or rather, it has the opposite effect – there are a few cool bits sprinkled throughout here and there, but a good portion is shockingly formulaic and forgettable to my ears.  The parts that did stick with me the most are the super corny samples that either skirted on the edge of cringe or went full-on oof.  I don't know; I'm aware that I'm in the minority since a lot of the post-rock folks on VC loved it.  But yeah.

I listened to it at least 5 times and this is exactly how I feel. Just not clicking with me. I tried.

Always struggle with this, but I will only focus on albums I physically own and have been in regular rotation on the ole turnable: 

No Specific Order (1 record for each month) 

- Jeff Rosenstock - Worry 

- Bleached - Welcome to the Worms  

- Lydia Loveless - Real 

- Look Mexico - Uniola 

- PUP - Dream is Over 
- Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle 

- Coathangers - Nosebleed Weekend 

- King Gizzard - Nonagon Infinity 

- Frankie Witch and the Witch Fingers - Heavy Roller 

- Arliss Nancy - Greater Divides 

- Chris Farren - Can't Die 

- Sam Means - 10 Songs 

1 hour ago, ajhall04 said:

Always struggle with this, but I will only focus on albums I physically own and have been in regular rotation on the ole turnable: 

No Specific Order (1 record for each month) 

- Jeff Rosenstock - Worry 

- Bleached - Welcome to the Worms  

- Lydia Loveless - Real 

- Look Mexico - Uniola 

- PUP - Dream is Over 
- Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle 

- Coathangers - Nosebleed Weekend 

- King Gizzard - Nonagon Infinity 

- Frankie Witch and the Witch Fingers - Heavy Roller 

- Arliss Nancy - Greater Divides 

- Chris Farren - Can't Die 

- Sam Means - 10 Songs 

Julien Baker is so good. So is that PUP.

33 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Didn't that come out over a year ago though?

Octoberish? But by the time I could grab and listen to the record it was January. But if you want to  only go with 2016 records, I can replace it with: 

Mrs. Magician - Bermuda. 

On 11/27/2016 at 4:17 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I wouldn't even say you're in the minority. It seems to be pretty hit or miss with the post regulars. I really liked the samples on it, which was the opposite for the new Kokomo. I think Russian Circles still might be the best post album of the year for me though.

I think Gumbo was unimpressed as well... but aside from him and Freki, it seemed to resonate very well with everyone on the boards, so it's doing something right.  The Kokomo samples are a little "eh" and cheesy in themselves, but for whatever reason I found them a bit more bearable.  Perhaps since they're not on every single song, I don't know.  I'm sure there's a cute concept or overarching story on that Kiev record, but conceptual stuff tends to be pretty meh in my books.  It makes me happy that bands like Caspian use signature samples as more of a supplement to their live tracks without necessarily hammering those samples home on the recorded versions.

And yeah.  Something about that Russian Circles is really scratching my post-metal itch, even after a few months now.

On 11/26/2016 at 0:02 PM, Shitty Rambo said:

What were some of youse guise's biggest disappointment releases of the year? Hoping to read some of the responses on my dumb podcast this week. 

If These Trees Could Talk (starts off solid, turns into a mess of an album, toms & bass drum sound like Fisher Price equipment)

Pray For Sound (So much untapped potential with this band.  Moments that shine, but overall bores me)

Radiohead (Sounds way too overproduced & doesn't stray far away enough from KoL)

Rare Futures (I'm sorry, but the vocals ruin this band imo)

Updated list of my favs in order...

Obsidian Kingdom - A Year With No Summer
Russian Circles - Guidance
Deftones - Gore

O'Brother - Endless Light
I Built the Sky - The Sky is not the Limit
Owel - Dear Me
Metallica - Hardwired...To Self Destruct
Wild Feathers - Lonely is a Lifetime
Show Me A Dinosaur - S/T

I feel like From Indian Lakes might sneak in once I give it more time.

Edited by mrewest

40 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Updated list of my favs in order...

Obsidian Kingdom - A Year With No Summer
Russian Circles - Guidance
Deftones - Gore

O'Brother - Endless Light
I Built the Sky - The Sky is not the Limit
Owel - Dear Me
Metallica - Hardwired...To Self Destruct
Wild Feathers - Lonely is a Lifetime
Show Me A Dinosaur - S/T

I feel like From Indian Lakes might sneak in once I give it more time.

New From Indian Lakes is way good. Can't believe SMAD is in your top. If having a stroke was an album, it'd be that.

52 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I think Gumbo was unimpressed as well... but aside from him and Freki, it seemed to resonate very well with everyone on the boards, so it's doing something right.  The Kokomo samples are a little "eh" and cheesy in themselves, but for whatever reason I found them a bit more bearable.  Perhaps since they're not on every single song, I don't know.  I'm sure there's a cute concept or overarching story on that Kiev record, but conceptual stuff tends to be pretty meh in my books.  It makes me happy that bands like Caspian use signature samples as more of a supplement to their live tracks without necessarily hammering those samples home on the recorded versions.

And yeah.  Something about that Russian Circles is really scratching my post-metal itch, even after a few months now.

I definitely appreciate your breakdown of it. Most people would have just been like 'eh, it wasn't for me / I didn't like it'. Yeah, ok, great in depth analysis. I always appreciate your insight. And I agree with you 100% on the signature samples. I'm not just saying this cause I love Caspian, but they honestly use sound signatures better than anyone. They don't rely on it, but use it to build up, or enhance their tracks; never over done, and only live. Hearing that Bukowski quote is just so synonymous with the fact you're about to hear one of the best sets you've ever heard. It's burned in my brain.

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days."

As far as post metal goes, Russian Circles, Bossk, Sumac, and Oathbreaker has been treating me very well. How did you feel about Bossk? I don't know if I ever asked you.

Rough early list since Gambino is not out yet...

in no order

Angel Olsen - My Woman

Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - S/T

Palace of Worms - The Ladder

Frank Ocean - Blonde

Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book

Death Grips - Bottomless Pit

Street Sects - End Position

Khemmis - Hunted

Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder

Radiohead -  A Moon Shaped Pool

On 11/29/2016 at 9:20 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I definitely appreciate your breakdown of it. Most people would have just been like 'eh, it wasn't for me / I didn't like it'. Yeah, ok, great in depth analysis. I always appreciate your insight. And I agree with you 100% on the signature samples. I'm not just saying this cause I love Caspian, but they honestly use sound signatures better than anyone. They don't rely on it, but use it to build up, or enhance their tracks; never over done, and only live. Hearing that Bukowski quote is just so synonymous with the fact you're about to hear one of the best sets you've ever heard. It's burned in my brain.

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days."

As far as post metal goes, Russian Circles, Bossk, Sumac, and Oathbreaker has been treating me very well. How did you feel about Bossk? I don't know if I ever asked you.

The Bukowski sample has a Pavlovian effect for the utmost hype, you're right about that.

I've yet to check out Bossk; seriously dropping the ball on that one.  Those Sumac and Oathbreaker records were super solid this year, though.