PO NOW: Pg.lost - Versus | 2xLP | Pelagic

13524505_10154424393217089_6403752189121

PREORDERS:

• Vinyl:  http://pelagic-records.com/?p=8391

• CD:  http://pelagic-records.com/?p=8398

• Vinyl (Brass /500) + T-shirt bundle:  http://pelagic-records.com/?p=8399
• Zipper: http://pelagic-records.com/shop/merchandise/hoodies/pg-lost-versus-zipper/

Variants:

- Forest Sunburst /200

- Brass /500

- Black

2xLP in a gatefold sleeve, printed on uncoated paper. Ltd. Coloured vinyl edition comes with extra poster!

This is a preorder! Products will ship early September.

Tracklist:

1. Ikaros  8:34
2. Off The Beaten Path  6:15
3. Monolith  6:52
4. Versus  8:07
5. Deserter  6:56
6. Along The Edges  7:55
7. A Final Vision  8:33

pg.lost is a Swedish band of many directions. Their sound is throbbing with great melancholy, but there is also a certain element of dirty rock n’ roll in it, as in the crushingly heavy closing section of monumental opening track Ikaros, in the distorted bass line kicking off the 2nd track of the album, „Off The Beaten Path“, or in the huge roomy drum sound in general.

The band bought their own studio just before the recordings of „Versus“, which made the recording process both easier and harder. „It’s easy to play around too much when you don’t have studio time that is costing money“, comments Almberg. The effect-saturated vocals, which were a trademark on previous pg.lost releases, have disappeared on „Versus“, and given way to more keys and synths. “Kristian was in the middle of heavy touring with Cult of Luna playing keys every day during that time, so he had a lot of synth-based ideas for songs. I guess this has helped us to take the band into a bit of a new direction sound wise“, comments Almberg.
The fact that guitar player Mattias Bhatt is currently living in London, while the rest of the band is based in Sweden, has been a challenge for the making of this album. 
„We have always been a band that for the most part has made music through jam sessions. Nothing good comes out of 9 sessions and in the 10th session you strike gold. Now we had to be really focused during the few times we could actually meet. For this album, more song ideas were written at home by the individual band members, and then it went back and forth through the internet. Many times it was a real struggle and it felt like this way of doing it might not be the way for us. But then slowly but surely things started to crystallize.“

They sure did crystallize into an outstanding album. „Versus“ is a true post-rock masterpiece, an album loaded with great melancholy, heaviness and catchy musical ideas delivered in an incredible density of sound. It’s sometimes easy to forget that there are only 4 people creating these vast orchestral landscapes.

Edited by fizio59

Oh boy. This is gonna be awesome.

EDIT: I've gotta say, I am really not feeling that teaser, though. This is still pg.lost, so my hopes are still pretty high, but there's no bigger turn-off for me in post-rock than when the synths and the electronic elements start overpowering everything, and that's literally all this trailer shows. Gonna hold off on ordering until I hear at least a full song.

Edited by omik11303

5 hours ago, omik11303 said:

EDIT: I've gotta say, I am really not feeling that teaser, though. This is still pg.lost, so my hopes are still pretty high, but there's no bigger turn-off for me in post-rock than when the synths and the electronic elements start overpowering everything, and that's literally all this trailer shows. Gonna hold off on ordering until I hear at least a full song.

100% with you. 65daysofstatic and God is an Astronaut have been super synth/electronic heavy lately and their albums weren't that great to me. Might wait a little I spose...

I'm holding off until I at least hear a new song to see the direction they are going in. I don't want to drop $40 on an album I might not even like. I really hope it's not another Kokomo or ITTCT situation for me. I was so excited for both, and they let me down. It seems it is becoming harder and harder to step things up for me in the post rock world. There are few bands that I know can always deliver, but even some of my favorites are lacking these days. Hmm. Only time will tell.

35 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

It seems it is becoming harder and harder to step things up for me in the post rock world. There are few bands that I know can always deliver, but even some of my favorites are lacking these days. Hmm. Only time will tell.

This hits really close to home.  Post-Rock is still a style of music that I hold in very high regard, but I feel like I couldn't be less interested in the vast majority of its current outputs, barring a few bands that continue to impress or push the envelope.  I can feel myself becoming an elitist who prefers "the classics"; post-dadrock.  Just kill me now.

12 hours ago, omik11303 said:

Believe me, they are very minimal.  This is probably just an intro.  

The two songs I heard live had very minimal electronic elements.  It was more of the same pounding, driving PG.Lost stuff.  You won't be disappointed, man.  "New Terrain" and "Kan Du Sluta"  (which means "Can you stop") both were awesome.  Kan Du Sluta had a Caspian-esque drum machine intro kinda piece, but the rest of the song is classic PG.Lost.  Progressing, without deviating?

EDIT:  Really bummed to hear that they are abandoning the vocals....   those wordless, soaring vocals were one of their most defining characteristics and made things like "Vultures" so powerful live.  I fucking cried during that shit when I saw them in Gothenburg for the first time.  Unreal stuff, man.  

Edited by Gumbo72203

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

You can hear the end of "Kan Du Sluta" in this video, before they start up Terrain.  Classic PG.Lost, man.  Fucking climaxes for days.  

I'm definitely a fan of that clip. Certainly more in-line with what I was anticipating from new pg.lost

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This hits really close to home.  Post-Rock is still a style of music that I hold in very high regard, but I feel like I couldn't be less interested in the vast majority of its current outputs, barring a few bands that continue to impress or push the envelope.  I can feel myself becoming an elitist who prefers "the classics"; post-dadrock.  Just kill me now.

I definitely get where you’re coming from on this. It seems that most of the bands that got me into post-rock have either disbanded or degenerated. That said, though, there are still a bunch of groups that have me excited for the future of the genre. The new Coastlands album sounds like it’s going to be incredible (judging from all the sound clips they have on their Facebook). I loved the latest from Ana Never. The Lost in Kiev album coming out later this year should be awesome. Russian Circles somehow just keeps getting better over time. Johnnytwentythree is back. And the Besides album that came out last fall has retained its playing power, something that I always have to look for in a post-rock release.

Edited by omik11303

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So i just heard back from the band.  The tracks that were listed on their setlist as "New Terrain" and "Kan Du Sluta" are now "Off The Beaten Path" and "Ikaros".  

That means that the first song in that clip above is the end of "Ikaros". :D:D:D

Good work!

The end of that track sounds brutal in a way only pg.lost can manage. Hopefully it'll be one of the two songs they will premiere before the album release.

9 minutes ago, SJV88 said:

Good work!

The end of that track sounds brutal in a way only pg.lost can manage. Hopefully it'll be one of the two songs they will premiere before the album release.

Hopefully!  The live version just absolutely destroyed, man.  Off The Beaten Path is very good too.... it's very Terrain-like, obviously.  Heavy, and driving and pounding, but with that trademark PG.Lost soaring quality too.  

• 1 month later...