Shitty Rambo

The 'Does anyone have info about this record?'/ 'What is this record or collection worth?' Thread

55 posts in this topic

Since these types of threads keep popping up like weeds-

 

First thing is first, new users, check http://www.discogs.com first! 9 times out of 10 you can find more precise and accurate information there. Can't identify an album? Look for a serial number on the jacket or for one etched into the record towards the label.

 

Curious as to what a record is worth? We probably have no idea here. Seriously. The value of any record is determined by the after market. What might be worth $300 to a dude in Nova Scotia might be found in every $.10 thrift store record bin here in the US. If this information can't be found on Discogs or eBay then you're kind of out of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, lost the user's sn who posted the following question. If by some chance he stumbles upon this thread, godspeed sir...

 

"Hi, I am writing this to ask if anybody knows anything about the HMV Angel Series line of records. I recently obtained one titled 'La Boheme", but I was confused to find that the outter sleeve is very vauge. I don't know a lot about vinyl, but I would be interested to know anything that anybody knows about this record/series.
 
Thanks for reading 
Josh:)"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.popsike.com/

 

^This site might be handy for finding "value", it tracks eBay sales. Only problem might be knowing if your record is the same as the one that sold. Since a lot of sellers (myself included) usually don't post every bit of info on a listing, like the serial number.

 

And asking for a price and finding a buyer who'll pay that is a whole other ballgame. And that's for a different discussion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 74R said:

Is there a way to make the reading of this thread mandatory prior to new users starting their first thread?

You can lead a horse to water but...


When these types of threads pop up I'm just going to remove them and send the new user a link to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting for a good chance to post this since I found it last year. I went to a local shop that I don't frequent often and went through the 7"s. Pulled out a few things that peaked my interest, one of them being a record by a band called Epitaph (admittedly, thought it was an early release by the label). It was in the store for 4ish years so it was marked down to $1. I obviously picked it up because it looked like something I'd be into. 

 

I got home and did a quick Google and Discogs search with no results. Figuring it was just some obscure band who had one release and called it quits, I threw it on my shelf and forgot about it until earlier this year. 

 

While organizing my collection, I gave the search another go by googling members names. I couldn't find any of the other three at first but found out the vocalist (Jeff Howlett) directed A Band Called Death. I found him on Facebook and shot him a message. Waiting for his reply, I pulled the poly sleeve off and opened the paper jacket to find it signed by 3/4 members with very personal inscriptions. Kind of cool but wasn't anything too intriguing until I searched again for the members followed by their respective instrument. The bassist, credited as Eugene Nicolaev, led me to an article about about the vocalist of The Fags but spelled differently and how he changed his name (or something to that affect) and founded Gogol Bordelllo. I still was not 100% whether Eugene Hutz/Nicolaev/Nikolaev were the same person until I got the full story after Jeff messaged me back. This was Eugenes first recording after he came to the states and it was recorded by Tom Walters. The band broke up shortly after and he went onto do what the article talked about. 

 

Jeff said he hasn't seen one in 10 years and doesn't remember who this was signed for.

 

Seeing as I have most of the info about it, I have a few questions that could be answered here. As big of a band as Gogol is - how did something like this fade into obscurity? Does anyone else here have a copy or at least know anymore info about it? 

 

http://imgur.com/yFjyigz,NQUL4YR,zXMt8IG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, john said:

this thread does not need to exist

but you don't get to decide that, the mods do. and yeah it does, because three times a week, sometimes more, some one post newbie posts a thread asking about their "rarest record" that they "couldn't find ANY info for anywhere at all" and lo and behold.

sethdavid likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LikeAChicken said:

Just today I found a Bach collection of 6, 78 rpm records.  I couldn't really find much information on them at all, and was wondering if any of you guys had an estimate on how much they're worth.  The records are super thick and heavy.  Here's an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/lP2ci


Thanks!

It really depends on which Bach. Was it Johann Sebastian Bach or his lesser known brother Dave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2016 at 11:09 PM, LikeAChicken said:

Just today I found a Bach collection of 6, 78 rpm records.  I couldn't really find much information on them at all, and was wondering if any of you guys had an estimate on how much they're worth.  The records are super thick and heavy.  Here's an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/lP2ci


Thanks!

If you had the complete set & they were in perfect condition, they might be worth something assuming you found the perfect person to sell them to. When attempting to find the value of something like this, you can always ask yourself "how many people do I know with record players that play 78s & listen to classical music?" That will give you a rough idea of the demand. Checking if they have sold on eBay recently is also another way to find out. 

78s were mostly shellac which is why they are heavy & brittle.

There is an entry for these on discogs here: https://www.discogs.com/Adolf-Busch-Busch-Chamber-Players-Bach-The-Brandenburg-Concertos-Complete/release/5860274

There's a complete set for sale on discogs for $45.

The demand for this type of stuff pales in comparison to its availability. You'd have to find something pretty unique like field recordings of Hitler playing a kazoo on 78 for it to be worth a lot.

 

Edited by 74R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2016 at 3:20 PM, 74R said:

If you had the complete set & they were in perfect condition, they might be worth something assuming you found the perfect person to sell them to. When attempting to find the value of something like this, you can always ask yourself "how many people do I know with record players that play 78s & listen to classical music?" That will give you a rough idea of the demand. Checking if they have sold on eBay recently is also another way to find out. 

78s were mostly shellac which is why they are heavy & brittle.

There is an entry for these on discogs here: https://www.discogs.com/Adolf-Busch-Busch-Chamber-Players-Bach-The-Brandenburg-Concertos-Complete/release/5860274

There's a complete set for sale on discogs for $45.

The demand for this type of stuff pales in comparison to its availability. You'd have to find something pretty unique like field records of Hitler playing a kazoo on 78 for it to be worth a lot.

 

Thanks a lot for your help, I have one more question about a record another record I found today :D.  It's a promotion copy of Erogenous from the mystic moods orchestra.  It has a Warner Brothers sticker on the front of it that says promotional copy not for sale.  It also has that printed on the record label.  I couldn't find any information about promotional copies of it and how much they are worth.  Thanks a lot for helping me out 74R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LikeAChicken said:

Thanks a lot for your help, I have one more question about a record another record I found today :D.  It's a promotion copy of Erogenous from the mystic moods orchestra.  It has a Warner Brothers sticker on the front of it that says promotional copy not for sale.  It also has that printed on the record label.  I couldn't find any information about promotional copies of it and how much they are worth.  Thanks a lot for helping me out 74R.

First off, let me just say that I had to start listening to the record you mentioned while looking it up due to the name alone. So far so good. It's like a mix of 70s chase scene songs & porn music. I'm a huge fan of Head Hunters era Herbie Hancock, anything by Wynder K. Frog, Incredible Bongo Band, etc. so this has got me rock hard so far.

Anyway...from what I know about promo copies, this record probably isn't worth very much if anything at all. From my experience, the only time promo records are really worth anything is if the official release is impossible to get or there was no official release & only promos were pressed to send out to radio stations. I was able to pick up a promo of UGK's Too Hard To Swallow several years ago I stumbled across for 7-8 bucks. I didn't realize until later that is was worth quite a bit because there was no regular vinyl release of the album. Maybe this was more common in the 90s when the record industry was starting to die but a lot of radio DJs still were still playing vinyl. I don't know. But since the album you're talking about was on Warner Bros. & it was the 70s, there's probably thousands of these things lying around still.

Regardless, that Mystic Moods record appears to be widely available with no real reason I can see to seek out a promo copy of it. But again, like with the previous records you asked about, if you ask 100 people if they like the Mystic Moods Orchestra, at least 99 of them won't know that they were a band. I like this type of stuff & have never heard of them. The demand is probably slim to none.

 

Edited by 74R
LikeAChicken likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 74R said:

First off, let me just say that I had to start listening to the record you mentioned while looking it up due to the name alone. So far so good. It's like a mix of 70s chase scene songs & porn music. I'm a huge fan of Head Hunters era Herbie Hancock, anything by Wynder K. Frog, Incredible Bongo Band, etc. so this has got me rock hard so far.

Anyway...from what I know about promo copies, this record probably isn't worth very much if anything at all. From my experience, the only time promo records are really worth anything is if the official release is impossible to get or there was no official release & only promos were pressed to send out to radio stations. I was able to pick up a promo of UGK's Too Hard To Swallow several years ago I stumbled across for 7-8 bucks. I didn't realize until later that is was worth quite a bit because there was no regular vinyl release of the album. Maybe this was more common in the 90s when the record industry was starting to die but a lot of radio DJs still were still playing vinyl. I don't know. But since the album you're talking about was on Warner Bros. & it was the 70s, there's probably thousands of these things lying around still.

Regardless, that Mystic Moods record appears to be widely available with no real reason I can see to seek out a promo copy of it. But again, like with the previous records you asked about, if you ask 100 people if they like the Mystic Moods Orchestra, at least 99 of them won't know that they were a band. I like this type of stuff & have never heard of them. The demand is probably slim to none.

 

Thanks a ton for your help this thread is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joyce Manor fans just trying determine where to catalogue this one. 

I thought it was the Random Color, but may be mistaken. All the info matches this https://www.discogs.com/Joyce-Manor-Of-All-Things-I-Will-Soon-Grow-Tired/release/3530960

However, mine appears more purplish. See picture. I'm guessing the Random Color matches the information as well, but was wondering if anyone happen to know. Thanks so much and it;s much appreciated. 

A9n1Vee.jpg?1

Edited by ajhall04
Better picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antisyntax said:

anyone know which pressing this is?

found a copy at UO and can't find which press it belongs to, i'm assuming first?

 

https://www.discogs.com/release/9109083?utm_campaign=release-update&utm_medium=email&utm_source=relationship

Well, the entry has a date of 2016, I would assume it's probably whatever the most recent press is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now