PO : Opeth - Sorceress

Thank you! Yeah I haven't had a chance to dig into the new songs yet, but they came off really well live. I wasn't into Pale Communion at first but I really enjoyed playing it while drawing the poster. Ghost Reveries has held up really well too and getting into it more now than when it first came out. They played Ghost of Perdition last night and it was crazy good. That being said, nothing touches Blackwater Park for me. That is probably my favorite metal album.

Love the poster Bjorn, if the £ wasnt currently worth less than belly button fluff I'd be all over it!

I can't believe how many negative comments I'm reading about Sorceress though. I think it's absolutely stunning! People seem to judge Opeth on a different scale from other bands. I'd say the only album that beats it this year is Magma by Gojira.

Heritage was a transitional album but Pale Communion and Sorceress are both going to go down in history as classics I think. Can't wait for the next one... Hopefully in as many colour variants! 

xx

7 hours ago, bjorn said:

They played Ghost of Perdition last night and it was crazy good.

That song...saw them perform a shitload of GR in front of like 250 people in a small underground club right after they released the record! I was standing right in front of Mikael, the club had like 40 degrees and the crowd was going nuts! One of the most intense shows I've ever been to!

The next tour leg they played in front of 1500 people and totally missed the magic...haven't seen them live since :(

7 hours ago, bjorn said:

That being said, nothing touches Blackwater Park for me.

So true! That album is perfect!!!

I love their stuff up til (incl.) Ghost Reveries...Watershed had it's moments, but everything afterwards is just not my cup...have to give Sorceress some more proper listens though!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have 5 copies left...

I definitely will spend some quality time with Sorceress today. Their merch guy gave me an autographed 2xCD which I was stoked about, though I would have bought an LP if they'd had any with them. I might still track one down if it really grows on me.

I have some on clear and picture vinyl if anybody is interested, link in sig. The last time I saw Opeth was the Ghost Reveries tour in Portland.  Nothing will top when I saw them in 2004 at a small club in Seattle (El Corazon) that holds like 500 people and Martin Lopez returned to the tour after having panic attacks and the band played The Moor for the first time in years. What a great show show that was.  I also saw them during the Damnation tour with Porcupine Tree headlining. which was also awesome. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...