PO NOW : Oathbreaker - Rheia

44 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Catching them on Saturday in Tampa. If I have enough for an extra, will grab one for anyone here.

I'd love a tour press if you manage to get an extra.  They aren't coming anywhere near me this tour.

Edited by joebob

3 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Got a feeling I'm going to regret ordering this and the new Planes Mistaken For Stars at the same time. It'll probably be late October before I get to spin this... :/

I did the same thing.  I'm going to give the mp3s a listen if it doesn't look like my LP will show up before I see them next month.  Tour variant looks great and I'd definitely pick it up if I didn't have a copy ordered.

6 hours ago, poweredbytrust said:

can anyone comment on the pressing and sound quality of the standard black or any pressing?

My DW sky blue variant has quite the noise floor, but really only noticeable in the lead in's and quieter sections. Overall, its a pretty decent pressing, but that album itself really exceeded my expectations.

7 hours ago, poweredbytrust said:

can anyone comment on the pressing and sound quality of the standard black or any pressing?

My blue variant has some surface noise, with a notable pop at the beginning of side B. Gonna give it a solid clean sometime soon and see if it helps at all.

20 hours ago, jamdbz said:

My blue variant has some surface noise, with a notable pop at the beginning of side B. Gonna give it a solid clean sometime soon and see if it helps at all.

It's the double edged sword of the format really.
The actual physical playing of a record and it's surrounding environment can change so many things.

Vinyl noise is almost always in some sort of surface contamination on any record. More often than not it is minuscule dust particles that are the culprit, on the record or stylus. A good cleaning will resolve a lot of that, however even the cleanest record can have surface noise that is noticeable in the lower end of it's dynamic moments, especially repetitive ones (your ear will notice subtle changes). This is why we try not to manufacture "Hazed" releases, as the process itself leaves so much surface dust/sand on a record, it isn't worth it from an audiophile perspective.

Comparing vinyl colors in terms of "sound" isn't really something that will yield results based on color. Again, the X factor is always dust and contamination. Every time you take a record out of a sleeve, static brings particles to it. You'll never be able to run a proper test unless you were in a dust free NASA lab. Comparing a Test Press to the last record pressed of a 100k press would be an interesting experiment though. None of us press those sort of numbers though to do that. Plates don't deteriorate as they once did in the 70's and 80's, as we aren't pressing huge amount of records w/ the same plates in use. Plates are generally remade if they are lost, broken, or a release is moved to a new manufacturing facility.

I can't speak for other labels, but we are strict w/ our Test Pressings in terms of quality. If we notice any abnormalities, they won't make it to press w/ any record.
Hope this gives some folks insight into some things when it comes to vinyl. Thanks.

-J.

EU deathwish store sent me a download so whilst I might be waiting on Planes Mistaken For Stars to ship before I get the physical edition of Rheia I can at least join the hype-train with the mp3s. 

Thank you Deathwish for always knocking it out of the park whether you're an EU customer or not.