Leather Platter Mats

Love. I've used felt and wool, but much prefer leather. I find it less reactive to static (although doesn't eliminate it) and doesn't trap/transfer dust to the record (since it's not porous/fibrous). I'd like to say it improves sound, but that might only be my imagination (I have a modest RP-1 setup).

Also I think it looks pretty dope. (I have the black deer-hide one that you can find on eBay).

4 minutes ago, Freki said:

Love. I've used felt and wool, but much prefer leather. I find it less reactive to static (although doesn't eliminate it) and doesn't trap/transfer dust to the record (since it's not porous/fibrous). I'd like to say it improves sound, but that might only be my imagination (I have a modest RP-1 setup).

Also I think it looks pretty dope. (I have the black deer-hide one that you can find on eBay).

Leather side up or down?

I think you're supposed to put them leather side up. I'm looking into it but i'm reading 90% great reviews and about 10% of people who aren't fans

My main goal is to reduce static, and I don't have the luxury of using an acrylic platter since i have an old MCS6700

Edited by Tommy

On 18/07/2016 at 9:55 PM, dreamover said:

humidifier, acrylic platter, zero-stat gun

Yup

An acrylic platter mat is the best mat type for dealing with static.

All my tables either have acrylic platters or at least acrylic platter mats but I still need a zero-stat gun because they can't remove the static from new records, just help to keep it down

4 hours ago, allenh said:

Yup

An acrylic platter mat is the best mat type for dealing with static.

All my tables either have acrylic platters or at least acrylic platter mats but I still need a zero-stat gun because they can't remove the static from new records, just help to keep it down

Do you use the zero-stat once or after every record played?

• 2 weeks later...

Love my deerhide mat. Works great, sounds great, and even looks fantastic.

A used dryer sheets placed directly on the platter (under the mat) will always help with static as well.

I replace mine about once a month. I like a hole in the dryer sheets and slide it over the spindle. Then reinstall my mat.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:37 PM, Tommy said:

How (scientifically) does this work?

I'm not a scientist, so I really can't explain to you how dryer sheets work.

All I know is, they are designed to remove static and static charge.

Edited by vinyl addict

1 hour ago, Freki said:

That's the one I have. Awesome quality. He will cut it to whatever size you want so it fits your specific platter. He sells them on Amazon too (where I bought mine)