The S U R V I V E Thread - First album repressing, PO now

1 minute ago, Nubbinsbuddy said:

So I just got my copy of MF064 and it came with an empty sleeve from the band matchess. I was like cool bonus record. Then it was empty and was like cooler bonus empty sleeve?

mine came with that too - i think they may have just had a bunch that were overpressed and instead of buying the corrugated cardboard 12x12" inserts they're just using those up first (?) - my best guess 

2 minutes ago, EHughes527 said:

mine came with that too - i think they may have just had a bunch that were overpressed and instead of buying the corrugated cardboard 12x12" inserts they're just using those up first (?) - my best guess 

I guess good try but they both ended up with a smashed corner. 

Who cares what people decide to do with their own copies on another site?

They wanted a copy when they were available, had the funds, bought it, and for some reason when the pre-order finally arrived (yes, it was a couple months, not an insta-buy) they decided they would like to sell it (for idk, maybe xmas presents? medical expenses? who knows?) so what? might as well start pointing fingers at everyone on discogs selling anything limited that was released recently (or all-time for that matter) because fuck them and what ever is happening in their lives, right?

survive/stranger things are hyped to shit right now if anyone hasn't already noticed and this repress probably wouldn't exist without that rise in popularity.

yea, it wasn't a lot of copies to go around but you can't jump to grabbing pitchforks when people/shops don't sell records to you and/or your friends, directly, at absolute retail pricing, after it is sold out and in relatively high demand. It would be nice and sometimes it does happen, but unfortunately that is not the world we currently live in.

Edited by ethereal

That'll probably be like all those on Discogs selling the original S/T record for $20 dollars before the hype, then $80 after it, right? 

The people that care about this shit happening time and time again are probably the ones that missed out on the limited edition, actually like the band, and genuinely wanted the record to listen to and support the band, as opposed to simply buying the record to make a quick profit on their behalf.

I'm not saying everyone on their are doing that...But when you have someone selling this record along with every other SURVIVE record at a ludicrously inflated price (Stranger Things for £70?!) it does make everyone wonder if they ever genuinely wanted the record For what it is  - a collectible media format. 

I have no complaints with private sellers selling things for that they are worth. In this particular case i just found it astonishing how many of them were already for sale. I don't recall the last time i've seen nearly a quarter of a records stock for sale within weeks of release. I'm sure some a few are from a  people who just didn't like the record or need holiday cash. And they will get what they paid for it back which is great.  But a lot of these are from the flipper population that silently stalks around here trying to make a quick buck. And they are barely breaking even off of these after fees which is even better.

1 hour ago, fish said:

I have no complaints with private sellers selling things for that they are worth. In this particular case i just found it astonishing how many of them were already for sale. I don't recall the last time i've seen nearly a quarter of a records stock for sale within weeks of release. I'm sure some a few are from a  people who just didn't like the record or need holiday cash. And they will get what they paid for it back which is great.  But a lot of these are from the flipper population that silently stalks around here trying to make a quick buck. And they are barely breaking even off of these after fees which is even better.

On top of this, they're flipping them before the majority of the people that pre-ordered have even received their copies. It's just goofy.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, freedumb said:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6950988

Dirt cheap until 1/2 a year ago... check out the price spike happening on this one! Posting because some may not even know it exists (me). 

Despite those Discogs stats I've seen it sell for $100+ several times in the last year. With only 50 copies in existence I wonder if some of those cheaper ones were listed in the wrong place.

I bought one that was crazy expensive last year but the seller was shady and the cover didn't have a belly band. Returned it.

Half of those cheap copies sold were direct from the label so I'm sure they got the listings right. Really anything this band put out was dirt cheap on the secondary market until the show happened. The first press /300 on clear was a $20 record max a year ago. That /50 press was the 4th Mannequin pressing but combined there were under 1000 total copies pressed by them over 3 years. So it's not like they couldn't keep this on the shelves.  I always thought that the /50 version was odd though as is supposedly 160 gram and all other pressings are 140.  Did they really get a pressing done of just 50? Makes more sense that it was extras from the 2nd press that they did custom packaging for.

7 minutes ago, fish said:

Did they really get a pressing done of just 50? Makes more sense that it was extras from the 2nd press that they did custom packaging for.

The markings on my copy didn't match Mannequinn's previous black pressing. The jackets were thrown together by the label owner. The shady Italian record shop owner that flipped one to me claimed that the guy gave a couple of copies to all of his favorite Italian shops, and that not all of them actually included the belly band. This exchange was an important "what the fuck am I doing" moment for me and this hobby.

1 hour ago, fish said:

Makes more sense that it was extras from the 2nd press that they did custom packaging for.

exactly what happened. the price on a specific batch of 50 records would not be worth it to a band or label to produce.

soon we will start seeing people offload their black copies without covers and "without belly bands" to cash in on this.

imho they are as overhyped as the show, maybe a little less. none of their stuff is worth forking out for and most of the people feeding into these resale prices don't even listen to the genre at all besides SURVIVE/ST

31 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

Where do you get your data? Did you do a poll?

Seems like a broad generalization to me. 

I love survive.
I have rr7349, hd015 and mf064.

I have them all on black wax, I could just purchase the purple vinyl/screenprinted cover of mf064 for the same price around $30 but I decided to support Joey from Disko Obscura/WaxWork when I was in New Orleans on vacation.
I picked up hd015, black second pressing when I was in Austin at End of an Ear.

I love them all.

By the way, I asked twoheadeddog if their new pressing of hd015 would be a limited run and never got a response from them or Holodeck, because I thought it would be cool to get a colored vinyl variant... if any of you would know more, let me know.

Here's the link:
http://www.twoheadeddog.com/survive-survive-red-black-vinyl-lp/

EDIT: I know it says limited but I'd like to know a number.

Edited by JorgeRodriguez689

On 3/27/2017 at 1:40 PM, JorgeRodriguez689 said:

By the way, I asked twoheadeddog if their new pressing of hd015 would be a limited run and never got a response from them or Holodeck, because I thought it would be cool to get a colored vinyl variant... if any of you would know more, let me know.

Here's the link:
http://www.twoheadeddog.com/survive-survive-red-black-vinyl-lp/

EDIT: I know it says limited but I'd like to know a number.

BM listed this version yesterday, which leads me to believe it's larger than just a 200-300 run.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24930635/survive-survive-red-black-vinyl-lp

Just a head's up:  SURVIVE is giving away a pair of tickets to their Los Angeles show next Wednesday with every purchase of their new album from their Bandcamp page.  Here is the email I received this morning:

FAN GIVEAWAY: In a week-long Bandcamp exclusive and as a special thank you to their fans, S U R V I V E are giving away 2 x tickets to their El Rey show with every purchase of their latest release RR7349 here :www.survive.bandcamp.com/album/rr7349 

(please include the message "Bandcamp Bundle" before checkout) 

SEE YOU IN L.A.