PO Now: Temple of the Dog - 25th Anniversary Deluxe Reissue

The 25th Anniversary Deluxe reissue is up for preorder.  It's accompanied by a 5 date Temple of the Dog tour.

The album is remixed by Brendan O'Brien and comes as a 4 disc deluxe, 2xLP, 2xCD, or single CD.

http://www.pearljam.com/news/0/1/23026/temple_of_the_dog_tour_and_re-issue_pre-sale

Deluxe: http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=4776

LP:  http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=4773

2 x CD: http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=4775

CD: http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=4774

I kind of wish they did the Ten reissue treatment with one disc being the original mix and the other being the new O'Brien mix.  I'll probably hold off on this until I hear the new mix.

7 minutes ago, Barberbro said:

Didn't MOV do a real nice pressing of this a couple of years ago. A little late on this one PJ... 

Also if my memory serves me correct, wasn't the ten remaster by O'brien received with mixed reviews..?

I too, will wait until I hear reviews of this. 

They did, but it was the original mix with an etched D side.

I think people complained about it, but as far as I remember it was more in line with what the band had originally wanted.  Still, bad reviews or not, I think it was a great addition to the remastered original mix.

52 minutes ago, nathan_s82 said:

I'm in for the 2LP set, but wish they would have left the etching off and put some of the demos on it. This new Mix will complement my MOV Original Mix.

Not a fan of etchings, especially when they could have included the unreleased tracks, specifically the songs advertised as being left off the original album! 

I'll get the remixed LP. Should be good. I'm sure it will sound a little less slick, like the O'brien Ten remix.

I have the two different purple type MOV versions. I can't really see how this new mix is going to be better. The lack of the unreleased tracks on vinyl is just plain stupid.

2 hours ago, Reshiram454 said:

More importantly they're gonna play 5 shows for the 25th anniversary, I'm really excited to see them.

Exactly. Got mine for SF.

Feels like the MOV is still gonna be the definitive version of this on vinyl.

I mean, I love Pearl Jam, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the new CB reissues for No Code and Yield, but the Ten vinyl reissue just sounded like garbage. All the dynamics compressed right out of it. The OP Ten is night-and-day better. So I don't see this new BOB remix on vinyl being anything different.

4 hours ago, kannibal said:

I'm surprised people are passing on this considering it's a remix so it will sound somewhat different. if the vinyl is 27.99 on the Soundgarden store, it will be less than 25 on Amazon or at other retailers. It's kind of a no brainer, etching and no bonus tracks considered.

What's the surprise? The MOV pressing sounds good to me. Just because it's being remixed doesn't make it no brainer better. Also, kicking down $25-$30+ makes me wonder if I really need another(it would be my 3rd) copy of this. If I do buy it, it will either be from 10C in the off chance of a surprise variant, or after the release because people are saying it does sound better. I really do love this record, so maybe I will lose my brain and just buy another copy.

Very disappointing news on the vinyl, the MOV pressing sounds excellent and better the more you turn it up, clearly containing all the dyanmics of the original. I don't know why they'd want to mess with the mix, but for God's sake why couldn't they have just done that for the CD and digital releases and sent off the master stereo tape to someone who treats vinyl properly, like Chris Bellman and cut it all analogue? After all that fanfare about getting the original ANALOG tapes back, it would have made sense no?

Anyway, the bonus audio and video stuff sounds really cool, especially that all the video stuff is included in HD on the Blu-ray, so I'm going to have to consider picking up that one. I love surround mixes but unfortunately with Adam Kasper involved my excitement went to zero. His 5.1 mix of Superunknown is unlistenable, worst 5.1 mix I've ever heard from original multitracks. And we can expect the touted 24/192 high resolution stereo mix to be loudness wars slammed just like Superunknown was.

TL:DR - bonus material sounds awesome and has me seriously considering the Super Deluxe edition. Will stick with MOV for vinyl. The names O'Brien and Kasper give very little reason to be excited about the new stereo or surround mixes.

Edited by dobyblue

2 minutes ago, dobyblue said:

Very disappointing news on the vinyl, the MOV pressing sounds excellent and better the more you turn it up, clearly containing all the dyanmics of the original. I don't know why they'd want to mess with the mix, but for God's sake why couldn't they have just done that for the CD and digital releases and sent off the master stereo tape to someone who treats vinyl properly, like Chris Bellman and cut it all analogue? After all that fanfare about getting the original ANALOG tapes back, it would have made sense no?

Anyway, the bonus audio and video stuff sounds really cool, especially that all the video stuff is included in HD on the Blu-ray, so I'm going to have to consider picking up that one. I love surround mixes but unfortunately with Adam Kasper involved my excitement went to zero. His 5.1 mix of Superunknown is unlistenable, worst 5.1 mix I've ever heard from original multitracks. And we can expect the touted 24/192 high resolution stereo mix to be loudness wars slammed just like Superunknown was.

TL:DR - bonus material sounds awesome and has me seriously considering the Super Deluxe edition. Will stick with MOV for vinyl. The names O'Brien and Kasper give very little reason to be excited about the new stereo or surround mixes.

I agree, but I'm having a hard time spending $100 on it.  The Vs/Vitalogy boxset is $140, and includes cds, vinyl, Orpheum show Vinyl, etc.  I think their price point is a little high.  Maybe it'll end up on Popmarket a little cheaper.  

8 minutes ago, kramer73 said:

I agree, but I'm having a hard time spending $100 on it.  The Vs/Vitalogy boxset is $140, and includes cds, vinyl, Orpheum show Vinyl, etc.  I think their price point is a little high.  Maybe it'll end up on Popmarket a little cheaper.  

Yep fingers crossed it shows up a little cheaper elsewhere, it's a wide release like the Superunknown box set which I think I got closer to $79 on Amazon, so if that happens I'll order it, keep the Blu-ray and resell it sans Blu-ray for $50 or something like that. I'm perfectly fine paying @ $25 for the standalone Blu-ray but these stupor deluxe sets would rather force you to spend $100 on ONE DISC!! Pink Floyd did the same with the Immersion sets, I desperately wanted the Blu-ray from DSOTM to get a properly mastered 24/96 PCM version of Parson's original 4.0 Quad mix, couldn't afford $100 for a single disc tho.

9 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

What's the surprise? The MOV pressing sounds good to me. Just because it's being remixed doesn't make it no brainer better. Also, kicking down $25-$30+ makes me wonder if I really need another(it would be my 3rd) copy of this. If I do buy it, it will either be from 10C in the off chance of a surprise variant, or after the release because people are saying it does sound better. I really do love this record, so maybe I will lose my brain and just buy another copy.

Your reasoning, and along with all the other critiques of the SQ of both the Ten (redux) and the Superunknown reissue, is perfectly understandable, and I can't disagree. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some good Temple of the Dog news in light of what seems like no one being able to secure tickets to their shows, Bullmoose has what I assume is the new 25th Anniversary version of the s/t for under $10. May be a mistake on the listing but either way here is the link.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/23306435/temple-of-the-dog-temple-of-the-dog-2lp