PO Now: Temple of the Dog - 25th Anniversary Deluxe Reissue

Just now, glass realms said:

My order from Bullmoose for the mis-priced 2xLP hasn't been cancelled...yet. Would be a nice surprise if it was fulfilled in November.

My Bullmoose is still good too.  I've actually debated cancelling a couple of times because there's other stuff I want more.  But I can't for the price.

I'm very curious to see how the MOV compares to the remaster.  I think the MOV sounds really good and I wasn't a huge fan of BOBs Ten remaster so I'm taking a back seat on the reissue. If it doesn't get rave reviews, I'll buy the CD for the extra tracks or pick them up digitally.  Of slightly less pertinent interest is the comparison between the MOV and whatever is being packaged with the Best Buy CDs. Hope everyone continues to share.

1 hour ago, docbronze said:

I'm very curious to see how the MOV compares to the remaster.  I think the MOV sounds really good and I wasn't a huge fan of BOBs Ten remaster so I'm taking a back seat on the reissue. If it doesn't get rave reviews, I'll buy the CD for the extra tracks or pick them up digitally.  Of slightly less pertinent interest is the comparison between the MOV and whatever is being packaged with the Best Buy CDs. Hope everyone continues to share.

Just be sure you understand, BOB's job was to reMIX Ten and Temple Of The Dog. He didn't remaster them, someone else did that. The remixed 25th anniversary TOTD CD was very tastefully done. The differences are minor and the effect is subtle. I enjoy both for different reasons and neither are bad. 

Edited by kannibal

After listening to the mix on CD all the way through this weekend, and just finishing up a quick A/B of the new 1LP remix to the MOV, here are my observations:

-MOV cut is louder. No surprise as its spread across three sides.

-New mix has reverb removed or lessened from Chris' vocals. Levels are adjusted so vocals and drums aren't as prominent. They are very up front in the original mix.

-Guitar and bass parts are clearer and more even in the new mix, giving it a fuller, more fleshed out feel.

-Overall the new mix sounds a lot less slick.

I really like the new mix. I think its an improvement. It's adds an intimacy that was hidden in the original colder, shinier mix. That's not to say the original is bad. Not at all. It was a tribute to Andy, and the stark, slick, cold mix fits the record, and the time it was originally released. 

I definitely recommend this to fans of the record. Sound quality is good, record cut is good. 

Edited by kannibal

17 hours ago, kannibal said:

After listening to the mix on CD all the way through this weekend, and just finishing up a quick A/B of the new 1LP remix to the MOV, here are my observations:

-MOV cut is louder. No surprise as its spread across three sides.

-New mix has reverb removed or lessened from Chris' vocals. Levels are adjusted so vocals and drums aren't as prominent. They are very up front in the original mix.

-Guitar and bass parts are clearer and more even in the new mix, giving it a fuller, more fleshed out feel.

-Overall the new mix sounds a lot less slick.

I really like the new mix. I think its an improvement. It's adds an intimacy that was hidden in the original colder, shinier mix. That's not to say the original is bad. Not at all. It was a tribute to Andy, and the stark, slick, cold mix fits the record, and the time it was originally released. 

I definitely recommend this to fans of the record. Sound quality is good, record cut is good. 

This is the Best Buy version correct? 

2 minutes ago, highfives said:

Did they give you the LP at the store when you bought the CD?

I think he meant CD. I had to enter a code online for the LP to be shipped. Should be here in a few more days...

2 minutes ago, highfives said:

Did they give you the LP at the store when you bought the CD?

I think he meant CD. I had to enter a code online for the LP to be shipped. Should be here in a few more days...

8 minutes ago, bigdz68 said:

Maybe, but he also said

" After listening to the mix on CD all the way through this weekend, and just finishing up a quick A/B of the new 1LP remix to the MOV, here are my observations: "

22 hours ago, kannibal said:

Just be sure you understand, BOB's job was to reMIX Ten and Temple Of The Dog. He didn't remaster them, someone else did that. The remixed 25th anniversary TOTD CD was very tastefully done. The differences are minor and the effect is subtle. I enjoy both for different reasons and neither are bad. 

I surely do understand that distinction, but poor term usage by me and fair point by you. I didn't care much for the BOB Ten mix, but I was heartened to hear your thoughts o the subtle, yet positive, differences in BOB's TOtD mix. I will certainly check it out. I've just recently been convinced to check out the new MMJ It Still Moves mix (by Bob Ludwig, I believe?). I think, for me, I enjoy hearing a new take on an 'old' standard, but rarely (not always) does a new mix supersede the old one for me in the long run. 

56 minutes ago, highfives said:

Maybe, but he also said

" After listening to the mix on CD all the way through this weekend, and just finishing up a quick A/B of the new 1LP remix to the MOV, here are my observations: "

I bought the CD on Friday from the store. Entered my code online that evening. Received shipping notification Saturday morning. Had the LP on Monday. 

It was very quick turn around for me. It shipped from Kentucy via USPS priority. Not sure who's paying for an exclusive cut and release of this album shipped via priority, but they can't possibly be making any money. 

1 hour ago, kramer73 said:

Someone on the PJ form said that it did that for them, but once they entered the redemption code, it went to the TOTD redemption site.

Just got back from Best Buy.  The http://www.totdvinylredemption.com takes you to a Beach Boys 7" branded website, but after entering the code on the card, it changes to a TOTD branded page.  After filling out the shipping info, it confirms 1 TOTD LP.