PO Soon: TWIN PEAKS

When I think back to what TP turned into post-Laura... Dick Tremayne, save the pine weasels, etc... i realize how much I'm liking The Return compared to any of that. This shares much more DNA with FWWM, and as a huge Lynch fan I'm all for going balls-deep into a universe he creates. Even if it's slow as hell and frustrating. The episodic format doesn't do it many favors. Some eps (like last week's) end up being an underwhelming hour-long section of an 18 hour movie.

i guess there were dangers to go the "Cooper on the case" route again. We had that already, and it was perfect. And then they did it again, but Windam Earle was abysmal. I accepted a while back we won't get Coop until the very end, which sucks.

Side note -

Digging how much this season embraces Frost's obsession with mythos much more than the film did. There have been an insane amount of payoffs if you've read his Secret History book. People obsess over this being Lynch Lynch Lynch but Frost's fingerprints are all over this thing.

32 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

When I think back to what TP turned into post-Laura... Dick Tremayne, save the pine weasels, etc... i realize how much I'm liking The Return compared to any of that. This shares much more DNA with FWWM, and as a huge Lynch fan I'm all for going balls-deep into a universe he creates. Even if it's slow as hell and frustrating. The episodic format doesn't do it many favors. Some eps (like last week's) end up being an underwhelming hour-long section of an 18 hour movie.

i guess there were dangers to go the "Cooper on the case" route again. We had that already, and it was perfect. And then they did it again, but Windam Earle was abysmal. I accepted a while back we won't get Coop until the very end, which sucks.

Side note -

Digging how much this season embraces Frost's obsession with mythos much more than the film did. There have been an insane amount of payoffs if you've read his Secret History book. People obsess over this being Lynch Lynch Lynch but Frost's fingerprints are all over this thing.

You know it's a bad thing when you have to have two books to explain what the fuck is going on with Season 3. Honestly the slowness and weirdness isn't Good Lynch. It's supremely mediocre stuff. Nicholas Winding Refn does boring shit but makes it visually interesting at least. Most of these episodes are being filmed so bland. Episode 8 was everything I wanted out Lynch but now, he's content with making old characters show out with no sense of character development (mostly off-screen) for new characters that are starting to feel like they take up more screen time than they should be getting. This show doesn't even care to try to ease off with that. Nope it's content to beat you down into submission that Lynch is right and you're just not getting it when in reality, it's bad writing and editing.

2 hours ago, Vector53 said:

You know it's a bad thing when you have to have two books to explain what the fuck is going on with Season 3. Honestly the slowness and weirdness isn't Good Lynch. It's supremely mediocre stuff. Nicholas Winding Refn does boring shit but makes it visually interesting at least. Most of these episodes are being filmed so bland. Episode 8 was everything I wanted out Lynch but now, he's content with making old characters show out with no sense of character development (mostly off-screen) for new characters that are starting to feel like they take up more screen time than they should be getting. This show doesn't even care to try to ease off with that. Nope it's content to beat you down into submission that Lynch is right and you're just not getting it when in reality, it's bad writing and editing.

I disagree with all of this. The show has been an absolute pleasure. Closer to FWWM than the original series for sure, but still has its moments that scream "old" twin peaks. It's kind of refreshing watching a show that you have no idea the direction it's going to take. With Twin Peaks it's been a ton of fun because of the unexpected turns. To say you have no idea what's going on is kind of silly to me. The overall plot is kind of easy to follow. I fell like maybe because it's a different "watch" from these other contemporay shows (GOT or B.B) that people don't "get" it because things are not spelled out to the viewers like they are in those shows (BTW I love those shows as well.) It's different in the most amazing way and tonight's  episode was great.

To each their own though. 

29 minutes ago, Royce said:

I disagree with all of this. The show has been an absolute pleasure. Closer to FWWM than the original series for sure, but still has its moments that scream "old" twin peaks. It's kind of refreshing watching a show that you have no idea the direction it's going to take. With Twin Peaks it's been a ton of fun because of the unexpected turns. To say you have no idea what's going on is kind of silly to me. The overall plot is kind of easy to follow. I fell like maybe because it's a different "watch" from these other contemporay shows (GOT or B.B) that people don't "get" it because things are not spelled out to the viewers like they are in those shows (BTW I love those shows as well.) It's different in the most amazing way and tonight's  episode was great.

To each their own though. 

While I do like unpredictability in my shows, it has to be good as well. Please don't lecture people on not following the plot cause they're not 'getting it'. In fact, the plot so far can be summed up in a pretty reasonable paragraph. What has this show done is let Lynch loose with everything that he wants to do. It's great that he can do this but this has caused this actual small plot to have 'padding' when I feel that he's underutilizing the lore and the previous cast in order to showcase newer characters, locales, long ass scenes, and band showcases at the end of every episode. I feel this isn't Lynch's best work. And yeah there's still classic TP stuff but it just doesn't feel as rewarding as I was hoping because of the plodding pace of the show and how spread out certain plot points are intil they reappeared episodes way later.  Even if you watch this 'movie' in full, this  season feels exhaustive at times. And really this show's ending might end up in a church like LOST at the rate it's going.

Edited by Vector53

10 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

While I do like unpredictability in my shows, it has to be good as well. Not sure where you think I have no idea what is going on but please don't lecture people on not following the plot cause they're not 'getting it'. In fact, the plot so far can be summed up in a paragraph. What has this show done is let Lynch loose with everything that he wants to do. It's great that he can do this but this has caused this actual small plot to have 'padding' when I feel that he's underutilizing the lore and the previous cast in order to showcase newer characters and locales. I mean it's a bad look when Frost is having to write an epilogue book which is probably gonna try and explain things or whatever the hell its about. I feel this isn't Lynch's best work. And yeah there's still classic TP stuff but it just doesn't feel as rewarding as I was hoping because of the plodding pace of the show. And really this show's ending might end up in a church like LOST at the rate it's going.

I misunderstood when you said "you have to write two books to explain what's go on" for you not knowing what's going on, so my bad if that's the case but it sounded like that. TSH is more mythology but not necessary to know "what's going on" and the second book is not out yet. I'm not lecturing (sorry if you feel like that), I just feel like what you're saying about the show I see every now and then and think because it's a more "patient" watch that people think it's boring. I mean most shows out there are fast paced and simplistic (or easier to understand.) I'm watching GOT right now and I feel like this season is rushed. Also after 25 years there's gonna be new characters who are going to be more important than older ones. Not all of the new characters have been great but most have been important plot wise.

Again, to each their own but to say the writing/editing is bad because maybe you don't like the direction the show is going seems a little harsh. 

I am loving this return to Twin Peaks, to be honest. It's Lynch, pretty much at his Lynchiest, uninhibited, same with Frost. They've put so much into this, and yeah, a show that makes you think can be harder for more people to digest, but I think this is some of the best TV that a lot of people are avoiding because of what people are saying about it. 

And as far as the book coming in October, from what's been said, it really is just a follow-up, going over the last 25 years of Twin Peaks, post Cooper disappearance, leading up to the Return. I mean, the first book introduced one of the main characters we are following now, which is pretty exciting. 

9 hours ago, Vector53 said:

You know it's a bad thing when you have to have two books to explain what the fuck is going on with Season 3.

As mentioned above, they don't explain what is going on, rather they add some (often loosely-) connected backstory/documentation that works as a great payoff if you're a huge dork and super into the mythos. I love it.

10 hours ago, Vector53 said:

It's supremely mediocre stuff. Nicholas Winding Refn does boring shit but makes it visually interesting at least. Most of these episodes are being filmed so bland.

I personally feel like The Return has been visually interesting, but to each their own. Even setting Episode 8 aside, there have been numerous visuals that I consider to be quite memorable.

9 hours ago, Vector53 said:

Nope it's content to beat you down into submission that Lynch is right and you're just not getting it when in reality, it's bad writing and editing.

6 hours ago, Vector53 said:

While I do like unpredictability in my shows, it has to be good as well. Please don't lecture people on not following the plot cause they're not 'getting it'. In fact, the plot so far can be summed up in a pretty reasonable paragraph.

I don't "get" this -- are you saying that you personally "get" the show but simply dislike Lynch's style? As you said, I think the plot is actually somewhat straightforward and any of the unexplained weirdness is explained as much as anything from the original two seasons or movie were. There's just more of it, and Lynch has an 18 hour canvas where he can pace things the way he likes to (slloowww). I know a few people that have "given up" on the show (they all still watch) and they're essentially just frustrated by the style and pacing, and I respect that.

I always wondered what the Mulholland Dr. television show would have been like, and to me The Return is almost like a glimpse into that.  :wub:  

The Engels/Peyton version of season 3 is probably what a lot of people were clamoring for, but I really think it would have been much easier to misstep and turn the new season into a rehash of story lines we had seen already and endless moments of fan service:

"The problems of season 2 would be solved during the first 20 minutes of the first episode. Then, the screen would fade to black and go to commercial break. After the break, the scene would remain black for a moment. Then, the screen would read, “10 Years Later,” and all the people would be in different places in their lives, working at different jobs. Essentially, Engels said, “We would start over.” If they ever do a season 3, I could see a similar opening, with Special Agent Dale Cooper escaping the Red Room 25 years later to a modern day Twin Peaks where everyone has new jobs and new lives. The TV audience would be in Cooper’s shoes as he visited and explored the town, and many of the old characters are re-introduced in interesting ways. As long as David Lynch and Mark Frost are involved in the entire process of a “Twin Peaks” renewal, I am in." -Robert Engels

Well, I've made my stink about it so I'm not gonna raise anymore. I'm glad a portion of you on here are enjoying it. I just feel that if you are going to have books, I think you could have talked/shown a bit more about how the town has been doing these past 25 years instead of small glimpses/references and then we're taken somewhere else which honestly seems to do nothing besides spread out the cast at this point in the show. This show is definitely for the hardcore Lynch fan who is happy for the ride. And I love some good Lynch too but I'm getting nothing out of this work compared to his previous works. The approach, style, editing, and script (if there is a long one or not) that he did for this season just doesn't seem that great. I don't need stuff to be spelled out to me but also don't try and make me feel trolled with long ass broom-sweeping scenes, repeating scenes almost shot by shot, characters staring at something for a good 5 minutes with no dialogue that's not in the Lodges, and make the claim that's it's good 'art or smart commentary on the patience of mainstream audiences'.  As mentioned before, there are more avant-garde directors out there now and Lynch doesn't feel like he's bringing it. And yet, I'm gonna keep watching because of the long wait we have had for this. But I'm not gonna say this tops FWWM or S1 and early/late episodes of S2. But at least the music is owning, amirite?

Edited by Vector53

On 8/4/2017 at 9:26 AM, Vector53 said:

Highly doubt that there are only UK exclusives. Odds are BM and other US stores will have something.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:28 AM, itsgoodtobefree said:

Considering that Rough Trade says "limited to x copies in the UK", I'm guessing these will definitely show up in the states.