33 1/3 Book Series

I love this series. I've been reading/collecting on and off for probably about 10 years now, though I haven't kept up with some of the releases in the last 3 or 4 years. Some of my favourites are ones where I don't really care for the album/band, but the story behind the music is really interesting.

My favourites from the series:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane...

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love (essential reading, as crazy as it sounds)

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The only one I really hated was Colin Meloy's Replacements - Let It Be. I didn't mind the fiction aspect, but the book was just not really all that interesting or impressive.

Has anyone else read some of these? Any recommendations based on interesting story or quality writing, regardless of the album?

The expanded edition of Let's Talk About Love is one of the best books I've ever read on the subject of music criticism. 

Ive read a bunch of these that are really light straightforward recountings of the writing and recording process. Endtroducing, Paul's Boutique, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and Double Nickels on the Dime are all fun reads. 

I would not recommend Born in the USA. As someone who's read a lot of books on Springsteen, I'd say the author of the 33 1/3 book gives worthless insight and has dumb opinions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2016 at 10:45 AM, agaetisbyrjun said:

I've always mean to pick some of these up just haven't gotten around to it.

I've heard John Darnielle's book on Black Sabbath's Master of Reality is essential

I heard it's the only one written as a fiction, and knowing JD, it must be great. I've been meaning to read it for a bit now, but I have like 3 books to read for school first. I'd love to be able to read as many of these as I can.