The STRANGER THINGS (Netflix) Thread

Since they removed down voting I know feel safe to say this. This show was absolutely fucking horrible, the music was good but the writing and pace was atrocious. They expect us to care about a character that is in it for 5 minutes and then disappears? There was no emotion in why I should care for a character I saw for all of 5 minutes. I feel like every scene or indie person ate this up because it was hip. ill see you all at the guillotine later. 

Edited by MayCauseDeath

2 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Since they removed down voting I know feel safe to say this. This show was absolutely fucking horrible, the music was good but the writing and pace was atrocious. They expect us to care about a character that is in it for 5 minutes and then disappears? There was no emotion in why I should care for a character I saw for all of 5 minutes. I feel like every scene or indie person ate this up because it was hip. ill see you all at the guillotine later. 

why even bother wasting the time sharing your opinion that no one cares about?

4 minutes ago, axotyl said:

why even bother wasting the time sharing your opinion that no one cares about?

See I'm giving my opinion because I can, it doesn't hurt anyone, you're just being a dick. Sorry I don't love your favorite show. 

Edited by MayCauseDeath

6 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

See I'm giving my opinion because I can, it doesn't hurt anyone, you're just being a dick. Sorry I don't love your favorite show. 

It's one thing to randomly voice your opinion that you're not a fan of the show, but to come out firing like you did? Strange platform and method.

11 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

I feel like every scene or indie person ate this up because it was hip.

5 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Because it's not possible for someone to disagree with the masses. 

You sound like somebody that's overly concerned with the cultural temperature of something and immediately have a distaste for what's widely liked. Let me guess, the pumpkin spice flavors popping up everywhere right now are making you want to JUST. DIE.

41 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Maybe because it was a child?! Its not that hard to grasp.

3 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Dude I need to tell you that this show was not about Will, but you know, I still rooted for him to make it back somehow, even though i just knew him for 5 mins and Everyone knew he is alive and gonna be back.

(also probably the best series in recent years in cast/story/score etc....)

Edited by xfactor675

3 hours ago, DafTyler said:

Maybe because it was a child?! Its not that hard to grasp.

Wait a minute, we were supposed to be rooting for the kids and not the blood thirsty, faceless, grotesque man-thing that comes from the netherworld to haunt children's dreams then escapes into the shadows as quickly as it first appeared, leaving behind only fear and loss??

Man, I'm gonna have to go back and re-watch the series...

12 hours ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what the fuck. You're like that one dude on earth who didn't enjoy Uncharted 4. You're the first person I've seen that didn't enjoy this show. It doesn't have anything to do with 'hip', 'scene' (what?) or indie, or anything else like that (I'm not even going to touch on that - cause that was just stupid, dude)*. The show had fantastic writing, original plot, was a nod to so many great shows / movies of our childhood, had a fantastic score (god damn did it enrich what was going on, and help drive the story so fucking well, along with being such 80s goodness), amazing DP (director of photography) - seriously, that show had some absolutely beautiful shots, and the acting was great - not even considering most of the actors were children. I don't think we really needed to get super invested into the kid that was kidnapped by knowing him personally. We all got invested cause we were kids, we had our childhood friends. We related and rallied for them to find their buddy cause he was like our buddy. We were part of the gang watching the show. It's awesome how connected we were so early on with barely any backstory, and I think that's really cool. For me I'm glad we didn't get hit with all this trivial backstory about him, and just managed to get sucked right in. Honestly I didn't think about the kid personally, but more so 'we gotta find him!' through out the show, along with 'when are we gonna find out about the monster', and 'damn, Winona looks great even as the run down 80s mom'. The show was just so compelling, plot driven, and dynamic. It's unique, and that's what media is lacking these days. I honestly don't see how anyone could not be into this show.

* I lied, I will touch on that. This show didn't have a specific target demographic of hipsters, and indie kids. Especially not scene kids. Scene kids? What the fuck. Is that even a logical demographic? What year is this. This isn't a fucking Hot Topic produced A Day To Remember doc. from 2008. This was a throwback / tribute to sci fi, supernatural fiction, horror, and drama classics. This show resurrected the 80s (a decade that most indie kids / hipsters / scene kids barely even lived during, if at all). This show was Dungoens & Dragons, Alien, Hardy Boys, The Dark Crystal, John Carpenter, eggos, E.T., ham radios, awful 80s clothes, Winona Ryder, Steven Speilberg, Stephen King, The Thing, Star Wars, all 80s cop movies, Close Encounters, Stand By Me, Poltergeist, The Goonies, David Cronenberg, and even some earlier stuff like Under The Skin. Dismissing this show is pretty much like dismissing an entire decade. This show is so widely diverse that its demographic is people with a pulse who like tv. My dad is almost 70 and he loved it (and he wasn't really into the sci fi stuff of the 80s). This show doesn't have any prerequisites other than not being a closed-minded asshole (no offense). I just don't see how anyone couldn't like this show, I really don't. I very much look forward to season 2.

I really hope you sit down and give this show another shot, man. You're missing out on something really great. It sounds like you barely gave it a chance, and I hope you give it another. And that's coming from someone who has no interest in buying the score on vinyl, but I still give this show 5/5 eggos.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Adding to the pot, my nearly 60 year old mother loved the show. My dad came in on episode 3 and asked her if they could start it over and watch it together to which she replied "I'm too deep into this. There's a t.v. in the bedroom where you can watch it" (turns off lights).  

Too add a little worldly perspective.... My parents are Mexican and Ecuadorian. This show is loved on a global level.

Non related note... Watch "the get down" on Netflix. It's also awesome.

Edited by drivervr628
Spelling