iPod Classic 160GB Repair?

Hello -

Apologies if this has already been discussed and brought to a  close somewhere else - but I am trying to find someone/a site that specializes in iPod classic repairs, as mine has begun to act up and I am still in the population of people who enjoy having all their music on an iPod instead of taking up space on their phone.

My device is a 6th Gen 160BG Black model, and the battery life is just starting to really diminish and sometimes songs just stop on their own pretty randomly. I am only using a little over 100GB of the available space, so it is not completely full.

I definitely do not have the technical prowess to YouTube/dig in myself (unless I absolutely have to), as I do not really want to lose this thing. I have heard rumblings about online sites, or people in general that assist in the refurbishing and fixing up of the great iPod Classics, and would gladly take any advice or recommendations anyone has.

Also - crazy to see these things still going for $200+ on eBay, etc...

Edited by defchino11

This place - http://www.missionrepair.com/ - replaced the battery on my 80G iPod Classic for $25 it's been working great ever since - it's local to me, but they do offer a mail in service.

also, I have a few friends that have had good experience with - http://www.iresq.com/ - again, a local place but reputable people who I trust back it, they also offer a mail in service. (i think their turnaround is pretty quick)

there's also a place called C.P.R. - I think they're nationwide - but, when I called for pricing, they seemed a bit more than other places. http://www.cellphonerepair.com/

good luck!

1. Definitely learn how to fix it yourself. There are millions of tutorials online. iFixIt has really good ones. iPods are easy as hell to work on, it's extremely empowering to crack one open and make it better.

2. Batteries are super cheap and usually come with opening tools. I've used batteries from RapidRepair many times.

3. For anyone with an iPod with disc issues (skipping, fits of silence, frequent sad iPod icons), I'd recommend doing what I did: get an iFlash Solo and a high-capacity SD card. Those little iPod Classic hard drives will all fail eventually, and solid state memory is infinitely more reliable and future proof. My iPod has 256 GB capacity, improved battery life, and memory cards are omnipresent and always getting cheaper. I bought this card 2 years ago for $120. The only bummer about the flash adapters is that the most common iPod models are limited to 128 GB unless you install Rockbox, which scares some people as it involves nerd stuff. I sought out a 5th generation iPod specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with it. More info is here.

If anyone has questions, I fucking love this shit. The clickwheel iPod is the greatest thing Apple ever made, and I plan on being buried with mine.

47 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

1. Definitely learn how to fix it yourself. There are millions of tutorials online. iFixIt has really good ones. iPods are easy as hell to work on, it's extremely empowering to crack one open and make it better.

2. Batteries are super cheap and usually come with opening tools. I've used batteries from RapidRepair many times.

3. For anyone with an iPod with disc issues (skipping, fits of silence, frequent sad iPod icons), I'd recommend doing what I did: get an iFlash Solo and a high-capacity SD card. Those little iPod Classic hard drives will all fail eventually, and solid state memory is infinitely more reliable and future proof. My iPod has 256 GB capacity, improved battery life, and memory cards are omnipresent and always getting cheaper. I bought this card 2 years ago for $120. The only bummer about the flash adapters is that the most common iPod models are limited to 128 GB unless you install Rockbox, which scares some people as it involves nerd stuff. I sought out a 5th generation iPod specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with it. More info is here.

If anyone has questions, I fucking love this shit. The clickwheel iPod is the greatest thing Apple ever made, and I plan on being buried with mine.

Thanks for the information! This is very helpful. I might try to dabble in the iPod self-repair!

17 hours ago, 6heart6breaker6 said:

Infinitely bummed apple stopped selling classic ipods. I know by using mine at least two hours a day, everyday, that it will fry sooner or later. These things will shore up and I haven't found a comparable replacement, though with little research.

There are a lot better DAPs out there now. Head-fi has plenty of info.

having replaced the battery and hard drive in an ipod classic myself, I can say it's stupid easy to do on your own,

Just be patient with the process because the connectors, ribbon cables, and opening the case needs gentle care. 

Oh also, splurge on the non scratch tools that ifixit offers.. it'l be worth it.

Edited by roadmonkey

• 2 weeks later...
On August 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM, AlexH. said:

I did the iFlash swap on my Classic and it has the strangest problem.  It will randomly stop playing a song during a shuffle, then start skipping songs automatically, without playing them.  There are a couple of quick fixes, one being press back rapidly until I get back to the song before it started skipping.  Or a reboot.  It's maddening.

I got a replacement card reader and it still happens.  I've tried different brand and sizes of SD cards, and it still happens.  Dude from iFlash has never heard of the error though.

Edited by highfives

9 hours ago, highfives said:

I did the iFlash swap on my Classic and it has the strangest problem.  It will randomly stop playing a song during a shuffle, then start skipping songs automatically, without playing them.  There are a couple of quick fixes, one being press back rapidly until I get back to the song before it started skipping.  Or a reboot.  It's maddening.

I got a replacement card reader and it still happens.  I've tried different brand and sizes of SD cards, and it still happens.  Dude from iFlash has never heard of the error though.

Huh. That's bizarre. A few times I've had a similar problem happen where it just blows through whatever album I select without playing anything. Every time it was that either the SD card or the CompactFlash adapter had become unseated and was not fully connected.

9 hours ago, highfives said:

Huh. That's bizarre. A few times I've had a similar problem happen where it just blows through whatever album I select without playing anything. Every time it was that either the SD card or the CompactFlash adapter had become unseated and was not fully connected.

27 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

It really is bizarre.  There's no rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens.  It can happen during a full song shuffle (about 10K songs) or just listening to one album straight through.  Sometimes a song will cut out while it's playing, then come back on only to cut out and start skipping through the remaining songs.  Sometimes during the skipping it will randomly stop on a song and start playing like normal - other times it just skips until I reboot it.

I'll probably open it back up and check the connections, but I've opened this thing a hundred times and the same thing happens.  I'm tempted to buy a new HDD and see what kind of weird shit happens with that but I'm not really wanting to drop $100 at the moment.

• 4 months later...

Hey,
I book marked this page when it popped up over the summer because I knew the end was near for my beloved iPod classic. Had a bunch of issues, from not being able to load new songs, to all the artwork of all  music getting changed to the same artwork, and so on. I went on it last week and it said no music. Took it to apple, they said they would wipe the software and put it back on, but computer won't sync back up with it to reload the music, keeps throwing different error codes. 

So I referenced this article and ran these diagnostic codes: 

Retracts: 97
Reallocs: 2224
Pending Sectors: 8
PowerOn Hours: 1505
Start/Stops: 54465
Temp: Current 24c
Temp: Min 55c
Temp: Max 247c

I am not a tech guy at all, but from what I gather Reallocs are bad, a healthy ipod has few to none and I have over 2000. I think that means my hard drive needs to be replaced.

From what people on here say, it seems simple enough to replace yourself. Like I said I'm not really a tech guy, but if it's simple enough I may as well go for it. It's broke the way it is now. I put a mod chip in my PS2 when I was like 14, can't be that much harder than that?

Just wondering what exactly I'll need to buy?
- Is it called a "replacement hard drive" 
- Does it come with needed tools or will I need to purchase any of those?
- The battery isn't dead but it sucks (only last a couple of hours max). Should I replace that too while I'm in there?

I'm also not exactly sure what "generation" my iPod is. Based off apples site I have this ipod:
iPod classic

·         Navigation: Click Wheel

·         Capacity: 80 and 160 GB (mine is 80)

·         Model number and date introduced: A1238: 2007-09

The iPod classic is a hard drive-based iPod featuring a large, widescreen color display, a Click Wheel, and the capability of displaying photos and videos. It uses USB for syncing.

The last three characters of the serial number will be one of these: Y5N, YMU, YMV, or YMX. (mine is YMV)

Any help/advice/tips before I dive into this would be super appreciated. Especially on what parts to buy and where to get them. Thanks guys.

Edited by kylet

Leaping on the back of us. Does anyone know if there is a fix for the random pausing issue? I believe it was a 'feature' that when the headphone jack was pulled, it would pause music. However, I find that it will randomly pause if the jack is moved in any way.

Any ideas? I love this thing and it is going on 9 years strong - don't want to lose it just yet!

• 5 months later...