PSA: Make sure you request insurance if buying a rare record! Minor Threat - In My Eyes 7" cracked :(

Yeah, just file a item not as described claim with PayPal and they'll have you return the item and you'll get refunded. PayPal always sides with buyers. Makes no difference if the seller says things like "not responsible for damage", "buyer responsible for adding insurance if wanted" etc. Insurance is the sellers responsibility whether they like it or not.

18 minutes ago, fish said:

Yeah, just file a item not as described claim with PayPal and they'll have you return the item and you'll get refunded. PayPal always sides with buyers. Makes no difference if the seller says things like "not responsible for damage", "buyer responsible for adding insurance if wanted" etc. Insurance is the sellers responsibility whether they like it or not.

This viewpoint only goes so far though. What if I pick up a tour variant for someone on the boards and it breaks in transit? I'm not a business, and I'd hardly consider myself a "seller" if I'm selling the record at cost, so having to cough the money back up when it's not my fault is kinda some bullshit. 

I don't disagree with your logic at all, but if someone wanted to they could file a claim and you'd be screwed. That is just how paypal works. Thankfully that'd probably only be for $20. Not $200+ like for this 7". So in this case though the seller should have spent the extra $2 for insurance just in case.

6 minutes ago, fish said:

I don't disagree with your logic at all, but if someone wanted to they could file a claim and you'd be screwed. That is just how paypal works. Thankfully that'd probably only be for $20. Not $200+ like for this 7". So in this case though the seller should have spent the extra $2 for insurance just in case.

Well yeah, I know how it works haha. If I were selling anything that was worth more than retail, I'd definitely make sure someone paid for insurance. I just don't think it's fair to hold someone else accountable for the damages when they're just trying to do you a favor. Anything worth $50 or more should probably be insured though. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

This viewpoint only goes so far though. What if I pick up a tour variant for someone on the boards and it breaks in transit? I'm not a business, and I'd hardly consider myself a "seller" if I'm selling the record at cost, so having to cough the money back up when it's not my fault is kinda some bullshit. 

Then have them send the money as a gift. If the person doesn't trust you to do this & vice versa, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing stuff for them to begin with.

5 minutes ago, 74R said:

Then have them send the money as a gift. If the person doesn't trust you to do this & vice versa, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing stuff for them to begin with.

Agreed. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I only help out a few people here cuz I've helped them enough to know I won't get fucked.

11 hours ago, shenanigans said:

If you paid with paypal it's not your responsibility to request insurance. Sucks that it was packed well and it broke, but it's the sellers responsibility to get it to you unharmed.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't purchase this through eBay. I bought it online from a record store.

17 hours ago, impact said:

So, I've been wanting a copy of this for awhile.. finally got the courage to buy one. The packaging was awesome, and very well done.. Though, when I opened it, to my horror, it was cracked! Looks like USPS had laid some heavy stuff on top of it? Not sure what happened here.

rAOnwCs.jpg

Q4LyAEw.jpg

TOnr1P8.jpg

Fuuuuuccckkkkkkk...that sucks...was the mailer hella shitty???  

7 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Well yeah, I know how it works haha. If I were selling anything that was worth more than retail, I'd definitely make sure someone paid for insurance. I just don't think it's fair to hold someone else accountable for the damages when they're just trying to do you a favor. Anything worth $50 or more should probably be insured though. 

Meh I've sold tens of thousands of dollars of records online over the years (including 4 figure stuff) and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've bought insurance.  And I can count on zero hands the number of times I've had something show up broken.  It's actually incredibly rare if you pack things correctly.

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Meh I've sold tens of thousands of dollars of records online over the years (including 4 figure stuff) and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've bought insurance.  And I can count on zero hands the number of times I've had something show up broken.  It's actually incredibly rare if you pack things correctly.

This.

I would be questioning to myself if the packaging was good and the item was damaged, was it like that before they packaged it

With good packaging, you have to really grossly mishandle things to break them

What people are referring to with your credit card is a chargeback. Retailers hate chargebacks. I'm not suggesting you go with it right out the gate but if need be - it is an option. Retailers hate it because they are slapped with fees by the card holder and it dings their credit. Moreover, if they want to fight the chargeback they'll likely have to do it via arbitration and should they lose they will owe even more fees. 

Anywho, bummer about the record. If I sell anything valuable I require expedited shipping and insurance.