PO: Green Day - Revolution Radio

I'm pretty stoked to get a good laugh over all the shit talking, cause even though I love this band circa 1989 - 2002, they do some pretty dumb shit. I hope this is a nice redemption for them. But we already know they struck out with that album artwork. Isn't as bad as Sum 41's new art though. Haha. I'd rather have some non-political driven Green Day though. Give me so more drug filled non-sense three chord driven shit I can jam out to. Just, please, please make up for the disappoint that was the 'radio friendly trilogy' and shit filled diaper 21 CB. Cause this is my last shot for 'new' Green Day. If this isn't good I'm officially retiring anything post Shenanigans.

5 hours ago, Shlebs said:

Wow what a terrible song. Is BJ still rocking the eyeliner and striped socks for gloves?

He had been tweeting stuff about his new band or whatever, indicating it was a new iteration of GD. Hoping the break away from being Joan Jett's clone they'd kinda go back to the Nimrod/Dookie/39 style. Doesn't sound like it's gonna happen

40 minutes ago, trainsaw said:

He had been tweeting stuff about his new band or whatever, indicating it was a new iteration of GD. Hoping the break away from being Joan Jett's clone they'd kinda go back to the Nimrod/Dookie/39 style. Doesn't sound like it's gonna happen

The my new band hashtag was a movement to get people to create music, not about a new iteration of Green Day.

I found the Instagram post where #mynewband started

Edited by Jesus Of Suburbia

On 8/11/2016 at 2:51 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I've always liked Bees Made Honey album art. Am I the only one?

Well it's Arik Roper, so it's not like it's bad per se, but 

65721580.jpg

(and my guess would be the artwork predates the album title, so it's probably a critique of the latter more than the former)

Edited by hammertime

As someone who hasnt liked much of any output from AI onward, I dig the music but the lyrics are just ridiculous. Can't do them anymore. The best thing BJ has done in the past 15 years was his 60 second part in 'This is 40'. Props to them for staying in the spotlight for this long though, seriously. 

It seems like once you figure out the "professional radio/hit" sound/mix, it's hard to let it go.  This song could be interesting if they stuck to noisy guitars, drums, and bass and let the warts show.  The vocal melody is more inspired than most recent Green Day songs but it sounds like very controlled, deliberate faux-chaos which is a deal-breaker when you're over 30 and remember jamming out to Kerplunk-Insomniac as a kid.

Just keep in mind that they are in their mid 40s putting out music. That's pretty damn cool, considering the genre / subgenre(s). Being 44, and still putting out music, and performing with a bunch of energy is still pretty rad. Sure, the art direction is bad, but it has been since Shenanigans in my opinion. I don't really even bother to care about that anymore. Sure this song isn't their best, but how can you top the energy of Dookie and the overall energy of the mid 90s. You just can't. Everything they do will be 'different' compared to any of their earlier work. I mean does 1,039 sound exactly like Dookie? Nope, and that was only 3-5 years difference. Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac, that was 20+ years ago. People change, bands change, tastes change, view change, sounds change. I'm not saying it deserves an extra star overall because of that or anything, but it's just something to consider.

Even if I don't like what they end up putting out, I applaud them for doing their thing, and keeping at it, even if the single is more meh now that I've processed it. Here's to hoping the album is solid. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Dave Grohl

I feel like they have very actively not been doing their thing since Warning. That was the last sign of them doing what they want to do and since then have been chasing some version of Green Day they think the public wants. Even the cover photo of Warning is great. That's how I expected them to look at the age they are now. I never expected this "wardrobe provided by hot topic" thing they have going on now.

I haven't liked anything post Warning but I do think there are a few good songs from the trilogy that could be put together with some new artwork and would fit nicely between Nimrod and Warning or after Warning.

I did preorder the album and I have no idea why.

On August 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM, deftbarley said:

I feel like they have very actively not been doing their thing since Warning. That was the last sign of them doing what they want to do and since then have been chasing some version of Green Day they think the public wants. Even the cover photo of Warning is great. That's how I expected them to look at the age they are now. I never expected this "wardrobe provided by hot topic" thing they have going on now.

It feels like Green Day™ has become a brand/company that Billy, Mike, and Tre own and work for and part of their job is to record albums every few years that fit the brand/company.  The band and its members have all seemed to get their artistic kicks via non-Green Day projects over the last decade.