PO: Green Day - Revolution Radio

1 hour ago, rds said:

It feels like Green Day™ has become a brand/company that Billy, Mike, and Tre own and work for and part of their job is to record albums every few years that fit the brand/company.  The band and its members have all seemed to get their artistic kicks via non-Green Day projects over the last decade.

Best 'Green Day' album in the last 15 years:

20 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Sometimes I pick up my guitar and just play this song because I have nothing else to play...I'll always fucking love Insomniac.

I just love it so much because it was a step away from the more commercially popular pop punk / pop rock style of Dookie. I remember hearing Insomniac for the first time, and being absolutely blown away. I love Dookie and all, but Insomniac is just so raw, and dirty. I fucking love it. So full of energy and in your face. There's not a single song on that album I don't like. Just so many 2-1/2 minute jammers on that record, and it never lets up either, song after song. I think that album is the quintessential Green Day record honestly. More so than Dookie. 1,039 is my favorite, but I think Insomniac truly captures Green Day's essence. Plus Tre's drum fills are just so, fucking, good. Like, god damn. When I think Green Day, I think Insomniac.

Coming from someone who was born where Green Day was formed, and grew up with them musically, listening to then since 1994 at age 7:

1,039 | Insomniac > Kerplunk > Dookie > Nimrod > Warning > American Idiot (Remastered) > U/D/T // (Not counting Shenanigans or Superhits.)

Fuck 21st CB, that thing is such garbage. I refuse to listen to it. We got enough concept / rock opera with A.I. I don't want / need any more of that shit.

Side note: I appreciated American Idiot so much more after listening to the remastered version (as you know, Dom). If you guys haven't heard the remastered version of it, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you do that. Everything sounds so much better, especially the drums.

Favorite Green Day song: Going To Pasalcqua

After typing this I'm tempted to make a list of my favorite Green Day songs (for fun) and see overall how many songs come off what albums.

If anyone wants to have Green Day rants, I'm all for it. I fucking love this band, and I'll always love them. 22 years and counting.

6 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

Sometimes I pick up my guitar and just play this song because I have nothing else to play...I'll always fucking love Insomniac.

I just love it so much because it was a step away from the more commercially popular pop punk / pop rock style of Dookie. I remember hearing Insomniac for the first time, and being absolutely blown away. I love Dookie and all, but Insomniac is just so raw, and dirty. I fucking love it. So full of energy and in your face. There's not a single song on that album I don't like. Just so many 2-1/2 minute jammers on that record, and it never lets up either, song after song. I think that album is the quintessential Green Day record honestly. More so than Dookie. 1,039 is my favorite, but I think Insomniac truly captures Green Day's essence. Plus Tre's drum fills are just so, fucking, good. Like, god damn. When I think Green Day, I think Insomniac.

Coming from someone who was born where Green Day was formed, and grew up with them musically, listening to then since 1994 at age 7:

1,039 | Insomniac > Kerplunk > Dookie > Nimrod > Warning > American Idiot (Remastered) > U/D/T // (Not counting Shenanigans or Superhits.)

Fuck 21st CB, that thing is such garbage. I refuse to listen to it. We got enough concept / rock opera with A.I. I don't want / need any more of that shit.

Side note: I appreciated American Idiot so much more after listening to the remastered version (as you know, Dom). If you guys haven't heard the remastered version of it, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you do that. Everything sounds so much better, especially the drums.

Favorite Green Day song: Going To Pasalacqua

After typing this I'm tempted to make a list of my favorite Green Day songs (for fun) and see overall how many songs come off what albums.

If anyone wants to have Green Day rants, I'm all for it. I fucking love this band, and I'll always love them. 22 years and counting.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Insomniac was their reaction to the criticism of selling out.  They tried to sound raw and angry to show they hadn't sold out but they ended up releasing an album that was far more raw and angry than any of their independent records ever were.  I love Insomniac (it's prob my favorite album of theirs) but it was definitely a case of 'thou doth protest too much'.  Worked for me though because I like the band they tried to be on that record.

13 minutes ago, rds said:

Insomniac was their reaction to the criticism of selling out.  They tried to sound raw and angry to show they hadn't sold out but they ended up releasing an album that was far more raw and angry than any of their independent records ever were.  I love Insomniac (it's prob my favorite album of theirs) but it was definitely a case of 'thou doth protest too much'.  Worked for me though because I like the band they tried to be on that record.

Yup, and I'm so glad they did. Have you ever heard Billie Joe mocking the dumb comments people said to them on the message board? God damn it was fucking hilarious.

(Start time at 36:48 -- his comment on Warning is so fucking funny.)

13 minutes ago, rds said:

Yup, and I'm so glad they did. Have you ever heard Billie Joe mocking the dumb comments people said to them on the message board? God damn it was fucking hilarious.

(Start time at 36:48 -- his comment on Warning is so fucking funny.)

I agree that it would be awesome if the new album sounded more like Insomiac. It's not only my favorite green day album but in my top 5 punk albums ever (not trying to start a "what is punk" discussion either, just using it as a broad term). For me it goes Insomiac>kerplunk>dookie> 39/smooth>

nimrod>American idiot>warning 

Put me in the "Insomniac is the best Green Day album" club as well. If UDT wasn't so slick, cut to 12 tracks, AND had good art, it would have been seen as a return to form for sure. The songs were there. Demolicous gets close but not quite. Foxboro Hot Tubs and The Network albums have some really great moments but if either of those were released under Green Day, they'd get ripped to shreds.

I saw green day on the dookie tour. Pansy division opened up. I moshed.

With that said, I always thought in 94 that let's go,smash, recipe for hate were the better albums that brought some recognition back to "punk". I still think those albums are better.

Anything this band has done since insomniac has been way too poppy and polished. With American idiot they seemed to get huge again and possibly even bigger than dookie but the fan base was very different 

On 8/21/2016 at 7:04 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Just curious what you're referring to when you say "American Idiot (Remastered)"?  Vinyl remaster or digital remaster?