PO: Green Day - Revolution Radio

This album blows. They were the best at changing up their sound between albums and still writing great songs but that era is long gone. They haven't done anything exciting in over a decade.

Does anyone know of a way to hear the tracks from "these paper bullets"? Something tells me they're the best thing Billie has written since Warning.

Revolution Radio could have been an awesome post-Insomniac straight-ahead fast song if they'd have subbed in any other words in the human language other than "revolution radio" into the chorus and if they had abstained from that cheesy foreground guitar part that cuts in every once in a while.

Last night's set:

1. Bang Bang

2. Revolution Radio

3. Know Your Enemy

4. Holiday

5. Letterbomb

6. Longview

7. 2000 Light Years Away

8. Welcome To Paradise

9. Christie Road

10. Burnout

11. Scattered

12. Hitchin' A Ride

13. Waiting

14. Are We The Waiting

15. At. Jimmy

16. When I Come Around

17. She

18. Basketcase

19. King For A Day

20. Shout / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Hey Jude

21. Minority

Encore

22. American Idiot

23. Jesus of Suburbia

Acoustic

24. Ordinary World

25. Good Ridance

I little too much AI for my liking, but still a decent mix. Only don't really want to hear a lot of AI cause that's the last tour I saw them on. Wonder how much they're going to mix up their set lists. Hoping to get some Insomniac and 1039.

9 minutes ago, marc32137 said:

Yeah needs some Insomniac for sure. Awesome that they played Scattered, though. 

For real, especially they don't play it often. I fucking love that song so much. One of my favorites off Nimrod, along with Take Back, and Platypus.

Edited by Dave Grohl

After a few full listens, I'm convinced the band wrote these songs as spec trailer music for upcoming DC Comics films.  So many songs sound like broad, cheesy 3-4 second clips that you'd hear in 'Suicide Squad 2 TV spot #5' or in something "dark" and "dangerous" like a commercial for a Lexus driving through a cloudy grey desert; and those production ready clips have been stitched together and spread out into 2-3 minute pieces.  Otherwise, this is just a weird schizophrenic album of bad ideas.  At least, Uno, Dos, Tres felt like they were trying to write rock, punk, and genre songs that were cohesive.

50 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Last night's set:

1. Bang Bang

2. Revolution Radio

3. Know Your Enemy

4. Holiday

5. Letterbomb

6. Longview

7. 2000 Light Years Away

8. Welcome To Paradise

9. Christie Road

10. Burnout

11. Scattered

12. Hitchin' A Ride

13. Waiting

14. Are We The Waiting

15. At. Jimmy

16. When I Come Around

17. She

18. Basketcase

19. King For A Day

20. Shout / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Hey Jude

21. Minority

Encore

22. American Idiot

23. Jesus of Suburbia

Acoustic

24. Ordinary World

25. Good Ridance

I little too much AI for my liking, but still a decent mix. Only don't really want to hear a lot of AI cause that's the last tour I saw them on. Wonder how much they're going to mix up their set lists. Hoping to get some Insomniac and 1039.

I was there last night. Having never seen them before, I had the advantage of being happy with whatever set they chose to play. I expected a few more deep cuts, but it's hard to complain about a set that kept the audience engaged as much as that one did. The rest of you seeing them on this club tour won't be disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, negavinyl said:

I was there last night. Having never seen them before, I had the advantage of being happy with whatever set they chose to play. I expected a few more deep cuts, but it's hard to complain about a set that kept the audience engaged as much as that one did. The rest of you seeing them on this club tour won't be disappointed. 

Nice.  How was the whole process? I saw a video of the line. Shit was crazy. Give me details. What time did you get there? Where were you viewing from? Favorite moment? Etc. etc. That set list is a lot like when I saw them 10 years ago, plus a few new tracks obviously, but I'm not saying they repeat the same shit; just coincidence. I'm pretty much cool with whatever they play as long as there is variety cause they are so engaging and energetic. But yeah, deep tracks is always a plus. Did they do their whole band for King For A Day? They love to have all the horns, and Billie has his cape and crown, and sometimes the pink bunny; too funny. Either way, I'm really stoked for Thursday. Ended up scoring as extra ticket so I'm taking my buddy. Making the 4 hour drive.

Set list from when I saw them last in 2005:

1. American Idiot

2. Jesus

3. Holiday

4. Are We The Waiting

5. St. Jimmy

6. Longview

7. She

8. Basket Case

9. Brain Stew

10. Jaded

11. Hitchin' A Ride

12. King For A Day

13. Minority

14. Knowledge

15. We Are The Champions

16. Wake Me Up

17. Boulevard

18. Maria

19. Good Riddance

Edited by Dave Grohl

33 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Nice.  How was the whole process? I saw a video of the line. Shit was crazy. Give me details. What time did you get there? Where were you viewing from? Favorite moment? Etc. etc. That set list is a lot like when I saw them 10 years ago, plus a few new tracks obviously, but I'm not saying they repeat the same shit; just coincidence. I'm pretty much cool with whatever they play as long as there is variety cause they are so engaging and energetic. But yeah, deep tracks is always a plus. Did they do their whole band for King For A Day? They love to have all the horns, and Billie has his cape and crown, and sometimes the pink bunny; too funny. Either way, I'm really stoked for Thursday. Ended up scoring as extra ticket so I'm taking my buddy. Making the 4 hour drive.

Set list from when I saw them last in 2005:

1. American Idiot

2. Jesus

3. Holiday

4. Are We The Waiting

5. St. Jimmy

6. Longview

7. She

8. Basket Case

9. Brain Stew

10. Jaded

11. Hitchin' A Ride

12. King For A Day

13. Minority

14. Knowledge

15. We Are The Champions

16. Wake Me Up

17. Boulevard

18. Maria

19. Good Riddance

The line was def long but by the time I got in it seemed to be moving quickly. I got there at around 7:15 and a healthy line still went down the street a block or so. Doors were at 6:00 and the show was at 8:00, meaning Dog Party went on at 8:00. Maybe slightly before. I don't know why they weren't promoted more as part of the bill here, I really enjoyed them. Getting in was smooth for me, they searched you, then you gave them your name, they had a list of ticket purchasers, checked your ID, then scanned your credit card which gave you a little "mini-ticket" to get in. It served no seat location purpose really as the whole venue was GA. 

I was right down front to the right in the ADA section as my wife is currently 8 months pregnant. Great view and she needed an option to sit. You can see the pics I took from the show on the gram, @negavinyl The Newport was crazy packed and there was tons of moshing and crowd surfing throughout. Look up the video of the 12 year old kid Billie Joe encouraged to stage dive during "Know Your Enemy." Super fun. Tre came our during the "Blitzkrieg Bop" intro in the pink bunny suit and a jacket that said "Who the fuck is Tre Cool?" on the back. They did have horns for "King for a Day" and an the same guy played accordion on "Minority." Hard to pick a favorite moment, I just loved that they kept the energy jacked throughout. "Jesus of Suburbia" was a definite highlight as Billie Joe was just wailing on the guitar by the end of the song. 

An interesting observation from the night, I got into these guys on Dookie, like a lot of people growing up in the 90's did I'm sure, and while the audience included lots of people my age and older, there were tons of younger kids there. It's clear that American Idiot gave their career a second act not many bands from the 90's ever got and I thought that was really cool. The whole club seemed to sing along to every word to every song. It was cool to be a part of it all. Oh, and they had a show specific poster, which was just a picture of the band with the date and venue on it, seems like that may get recycled for other shows. And I have merch pics if anyone cares. 

4 minutes ago, negavinyl said:

The line was def long but by the time I got in it seemed to be moving quickly. I got there at around 7:15 and a healthy line still went down the street a block or so. Doors were at 6:00 and the show was at 8:00, meaning Dog Party went on at 8:00. Maybe slightly before. I don't know why they weren't promoted more as part of the bill here, I really enjoyed them. Getting in was smooth for me, they searched you, then you gave them your name, they had a list of ticket purchasers, checked your ID, then scanned your credit card which gave you a little "mini-ticket" to get in. It served no seat location purpose really as the whole venue was GA. 

I was right down front to the right in the ADA section as my wife is currently 8 months pregnant. Great view and she needed an option to sit. You can see the pics I took from the show on the gram, @negavinyl The Newport was crazy packed and there was tons of moshing and crowd surfing throughout. Look up the video of the 12 year old kid Billie Joe encouraged to stage dive during "Know Your Enemy." Super fun. Tre came our during the "Blitzkrieg Bop" intro in the pink bunny suit and a jacket that said "Who the fuck is Tre Cool?" on the back. They did have horns for "King for a Day" and an the same guy played accordion on "Minority." Hard to pick a favorite moment, I just loved that they kept the energy jacked throughout. "Jesus of Suburbia" was a definite highlight as Billie Joe was just wailing on the guitar by the end of the song. 

An interesting observation from the night, I got into these guys on Dookie, like a lot of people growing up in the 90's did I'm sure, and while the audience included lots of people my age and older, there were tons of younger kids there. It's clear that American Idiot gave their career a second act not many bands from the 90's ever got and I thought that was really cool. The whole club seemed to sing along to every word to every song. It was cool to be a part of it all. Oh, and they had a show specific poster, which was just a picture of the band with the date and venue on it, seems like that may get recycled for other shows. And I have merch pics if anyone cares. 

All I can say is I'm even more hyped. Thanks for the write up. And I'd love to see merch pics. Their merch is usually pretty lame, but I'm hoping for a cool screen print.