PO soon: Bon Iver - 22, A Million

I skipped this thread a bit so sorry if it came up already, but does anyone else's copy sound pretty shit? Especially the low end? Just sounds to me like it wasn't mastered properly for vinyl, or maybe he's going for that trash sound. I was honestly worried something was wrong with my setup but after I switched to my usual 'control' records realized it was just my copy. 

2 hours ago, kylekrische said:

I skipped this thread a bit so sorry if it came up already, but does anyone else's copy sound pretty shit? Especially the low end? Just sounds to me like it wasn't mastered properly for vinyl, or maybe he's going for that trash sound. I was honestly worried something was wrong with my setup but after I switched to my usual 'control' records realized it was just my copy. 

Have you compared it to a digital or streaming copy to see if it's just the vinyl?  It could just be how this album sounds.  I can't say my copy sounds bad.  

2 hours ago, kylekrische said:

I just got my copy and it sounds great to me. No problem in the low end, even my B&W DM4's deliver quite a rumble. As YouTwo pointed out, you should compare it to a digital source since the mix is quite edgy.

just received my standard copy. Beautiful packaging and awesome artwork throughout - much more expansive than that of s/t, which I dig. Just put on the record and it turns out it actually doesn't sound like ass, but rather the opposite. It's not the quietest pressing, but sometimes you also can't really tell whether it's surface noise or some kind of weird synth going on in the track. I'm stoked!

37 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

just received my standard copy. Beautiful packaging and awesome artwork throughout - much more expansive than that of s/t, which I dig. Just put on the record and it turns out it actually doesn't sound like ass, but rather the opposite. It's not the quietest pressing, but sometimes you also can't really tell whether it's surface noise or some kind of weird synth going on in the track. I'm stoked!

Yeah, this is probably my favorite packing and artwork from any release this year.  When I first put on my copy I thought it was suffering from some surface noise but after listening to the digital download, a lot of it is just in the music.  

Edited by YouTwo

6 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Yeah, this is probably my favorite packing and artwork from any release this year.  When I first put on my copy I thought it was suffering from some surface noise but after listening to the digital download, a lot of it is just in the music.  

The audiophile in me is really irked by the 'intentional' noise and clipping, but I do feel that this entire album is very carefully crafted, and the digital-sounding flaws (which sound really out of place on vinyl) serves a purpose when the album is taken as a whole. This album is really growing on me. Especially the second half.

Just got the amoeba bundle in the mail. Maybe its been answered on here but why the hell did they need a 12" with extended versions of the album openers that are only a few seconds longer. I can barely tell the difference. Just seems like such a waste of oil and paper to put this out.

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just got the amoeba bundle in the mail. Maybe its been answered on here but why the hell did they need a 12" with extended versions of the album openers that are only a few seconds longer. I can barely tell the difference. Just seems like such a waste of oil and paper to put this out.

I've wondered this too.  It made sense before the album came out.  But shipping WITH the album seems a little unnecessary. 

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The 12" versions sound way better than the ones on the LP to be fair. It is stupid though, but I'd buy 4 more of these with the other 8 tracks because I'm in love with this album.

3 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

The 12" versions sound way better than the ones on the LP to be fair. It is stupid though, but I'd buy 4 more of these with the other 8 tracks because I'm in love with this album.

You think it's just a better pressing?  Or the production is better on the 12" versions?  I've only listened to the 12" once.

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

You think it's just a better pressing?  Or the production is better on the 12" versions?  I've only listened to the 12" once.

It's just because it's a 3 minute song at 45 rpm with tons of room to breathe. Anything sounds better pressed that way, the LP itself is a great pressing but these songs still sound better. Plus I meant I'd like extended versions of the other 8 pressed this way. I'm just weird and would vomit at the idea for a different record lol

38 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The only difference I noticed is the added "reprisal" sounding stuff at the end of the two songs. They should've just had those on the album. I agree with the 12" being unnecessary, but it is nice to have those extended versions.

• 11 months later...

A couple of colored variants just went up for pre-order:

Bon Iver store (Orange)

https://boniver.org/store/us/14043/preorder-22-a-million-blaze-orange-lp-us

TT Lab (Off-white /500)

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/bon-iver-22-a-million-off-white-colored-vinyl-vinyl-lp-ttl-exclusive

Secretly Society (Trans. red) - you have to sub for this one

https://www.secretlystore.com/22-a-million-bon-iver